Natural Farming at Children's school in Thailand

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi Robin, Maya, and Napi,

      You asked about projects for teaching children sustainable gardening/farming.

      In Thailand there is Moo Ban Dek Children's Village School, Latya-Srisawat Rd, Kanchanaburi 71190, Siam (Thailand)--mbd@...--which, according to its web site, has been practicing Natural Farming ever since Fukuoka visited there 10 years ago. The site suggests that Fukuoka has visited Moo Ban Dek more than once.

      Check their URL at http://www.ffc.or.th/mbd/farming.html or pull them up on google.com by typing "Moo Baan Dek--Natural Farming" and then going to their "Home" option.

      Bob Monie

    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
        Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
        roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
        modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for giving
        us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
        little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
        such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
        circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
        Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads of
        links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
        gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.

        Robert Monie wrote:

        > Hi Robin, Maya, and Napi,
        >
        > You asked about projects for teaching children sustainable
        > gardening/farming.
        >
        > In Thailand there is Moo Ban Dek Children's Village School,
        > Latya-Srisawat Rd, Kanchanaburi 71190, Siam
        > (Thailand)--mbd@...--which, according to its web site, has
        > been practicing Natural Farming ever since Fukuoka visited there 10
        > years ago. The site suggests that Fukuoka has visited Moo Ban Dek
        > more than once.
        >
        > Check their URL at http://www.ffc.or.th/mbd/farming.html or pull
        > them up on google.com by typing "Moo Baan Dek--Natural Farming" and
        > then going to their "Home" option.
        >
        > Bob Monie

      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
          Robin, Maya, or Napi wrote:

          >Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
          >roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
          >modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for giving
          >us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
          >little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
          >such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
          >circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
          >Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads of
          >links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
          >gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.

          This confuses me. Is it something that came from the school in Thailand's
          website, or something you yourself wrote and are involved in?

          Larry Haftl
          larry@...
          http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
          http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
        • Azman Kader Rawther
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
            Bob Monie,

            Thank you for the heads up of the Moon Baan Dek School. think I'll make a trip up to Thailand to marvel at their efforts.

            Azman Kader Rawther

          • Robin, Maya, or Napi
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
              Sorry to be giddy. The thanks are to Mr. Robert who posted the
              link to Moo Baan Dek. The message quoted below is from & about our
              Circle School. We are so happily jumbly to see our reflection in a
              school around the world from us in Thailand. Both Buddhist founders,
              both Summerhill child-led-learning, both natural gardeners, both
              cooperative dormitory style sleep-over programs. & Fukuoka-san
              himself has had a hand in rearing their program!
              The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
              website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
              usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
              playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
              that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
              curriculum might find life there. Embalmed curriculum is not my
              coinage, Reggio Emilia, our Italian method, uses the term for teaching
              without following what each child is observing in their own natural
              season. Reggio teachers would love to build with the work of Fukuoka,
              trusting in the value of lessons from observation. Many 'teachers'
              gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
              following the nature of the child or of the garden.
              Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
              impossible or inappropriate. What you have already done is remarkably
              fresh & continuously useful. Just thank you for your kind
              consideration of the request.
              Napi Ippolito, Principal
              Circle School

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
                At Thursday, 07 November 2002, Napi wrote:

                >The message quoted below is from & about our Circle School.

                Hi Napi,
                My original confusion was whether you were asking about putting something
                on our site, or whether someone from the Thai school was talking
                about their website.

                Personally, I am in favor of just about anyting that helps kids learn
                and grow through mechanisms other than the social indoctrination
                process commonly referred to as "school".

                > The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
                >website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
                >usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
                >playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
                >that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
                >curriculum might find life there.

                I can make the place if you can make the content and active participants
                of this list generally think it's a good idea (if they don't, I'd
                be willing to make a place for it on my own website). It's easy for
                me to turn text and graphics into webpages, it would not be easy
                for me to write the text or create the graphics. You would have to
                do that.

                >Many 'teachers'
                >gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
                >following the nature of the child or of the garden.

                So are many "teachers" non-gardening sites, and curiculum come to
                think of it.

                >Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
                >impossible or inappropriate.

                Always feel free to question and push. Nature and the webmaster will
                let you know when something is really impossible or inappropriate.

                One reservation though... would I have to make the button "cute"?
                I've never talked "cute" to a kid in my life. Always thought there
                were just people with limited experience temporarily trapped in very
                short bodies.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
                  That was as cute as a button ever needs to be. G'night to all who
                  are still at work.