Re: [fukuoka_farming] Pink Purslane among the shady pozols, Fukuoka's practicality,and website alterations

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002
      Good Morning, Robert,

      Please forgive my jumble! As I thank Don for the important
      understanding of the characteristics of the earth that forms under
      evergreen cypress, I mean to thank you for the crucial information on
      what plants are safe, even nutritious, in the schoolyard, where we
      never know who will suddenly take a taste of the herbaceous border.

      As we are required to interfere with the natural habit of the
      trees by raising (cutting) the lowest branches, to about adult knee
      height, the toddlers walk right under, & the older children love the
      sense of enclosure as a meeting place. The tree becomes their
      habitat. From beneath & within, we study bird's nesting patterns, one
      nest woven with an unfurled cassette tape lasted years in the tree.
      After two years of continuous picking parties (including an annual
      parents on ladders event), we finally overtook the bagworm
      infestation. We learn the danger of the wasp's nest, to look out for
      the spider's web. These are ways that the hearts, eyes & hands of the
      children are readied to Mr. Fukuoka, even when urban school security
      compels sawing off the lowest branches. The beautiful sweeping boughs
      had created a habitat for the most unsavory nocturnal activities in
      the park, the leavings of which were dangerously unsanitary, as in the
      case of discarded hypodermics. The complexity of the issues here is
      undoubtedly no greater than any other project. The mention again of
      distressing issues that we deal with as a school is not meant to
      wander too far off topic, but rather to give note of the range of
      applications for natural gardening, which includes coming into sites
      where nature must needs suffers disruption. Where groups of children
      have the opportunity to be part of nature, nature prepares multiple
      meanings of the term nursery. If there is a place designated for
      children's investigation of these subjects, we hope to contribute a
      realistic metropolitan example. If anyone else has a focus on
      children's education, please tell us a story of how, until they are
      trained to ignore, they observe.