Re: Fukuoka saying about knowledge.

  • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 8:17 PM
      All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is
      everything. What we think we become.

      Buddha

      Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:57:09 -0800 (PST)
      From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@...>

      This is a recurrent theme with Fukuoka. I translated a few lines from
      his last work, the Iroha Revolutionary Verses, which he wrote in the
      years before he passed away and in which he said he summarized his
      life’s experience.

      Iroha Revolutionary Verses
      by Fukuoka Masanobu

      First of all, throw it all away,
      the handcuffs of time and the shackles of money.

      Too much wasted time,
      too many useless things.

      Knowledge is not wisdom,
      collecting knowledge, we destroy wisdom.

      The fruit from the tree of wisdom is the wisdom of the snake,
      idly we are led astray.

      Pointless reasons and arguments, like the straw shoes of a horse,
      changed daily, they are discarded after use.

      The cherry flowers blossom, still too early to scatter,
      only humans regret the futility of flowers.

      No ears to listen and no speech, mountains, rivers, grasses and trees,
      the hidden language knows the heavens, knows Earth.

      Coming and going, the passing birds don’t stay in one place,
      freely, only living.

      Don’t look around with two eyes,
      the one eye of the mind is enough.

      The desire to see, listen and know will be your ruin,
      an ocean of wisdom that gets weak and dies.

      We only live once,
      with a one-way ticket, whither do you go? whither do you return?

      Don’t hurry, don’t get excited,
      leave it to nature, leave behind human knowledge and human action.

      After much fussing I finally passed my 90eth year,
      after that there is only letting go, and be the Buddha.

      I have lived my destiny, the life and destiny of the planet,
      this instant only, the death of a beggar, all by myself.

      Destiny has run its course, separating God, nature and humans,
      with a crash, the Earth is annihilated.

      The crow craws and returns to its nest,
      are the withered leaves scattered? has the sparrow flown?
      a sunny spot in winter.

      The day comes to an end, the sun takes its leave,
      the trees loose their leaves, the sparrow’s nest for the night.

      Apparently there are thousands of these verses which he kept rewriting
      all the time. A collection was published in Japanese a couple of years
      ago under the title of Iroha Kakumei-ka which I have rendered as Iroha
      Revolutionary Verses. The Iroha is the Japanese system of phonetic
      writing symbols; hence it could also be interpreted as the ABC of
      Revolution or the A to Z of Revolution. Kakumei or Revolution obviously
      was something dear to him since the term can be found in the title of 3
      of his 9 works, most notably in the first and the last.

      Dieter