Fukuoka san's comment in an interview

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi All,

      Not sure, if this came in this site..This is Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present. I couldn't get the link back, but have the page saved in my system..

      "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby.

      I understand Mr. Jackson's scientific approach. I used to have the same view when I was a scientist. You can just think of us three as being on the horse of Don Quixote. It looks like we are saying different things, but we are really on the same horse. The horse is running toward disaster. Wes Jackson's trying to stop the feet of the horse. Bill Mollison's trying to turn the head of the horse. (Laughs) I'm just hanging onto the horse's tail! "

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Jason Stewart
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
        G'day everybody,

        Nandan,
        this is a paraphrase from the subsection "Three Don Quixotes" page 367,
        within the section titled "Sowing Seed in the Desert" starting p360, of the chapter titled "Seeding a Real Green Revolution",
        of as he retold in his book (in the English translation 1987 edition---the only English translation edition---someone one day may see the value in translating his most up to date edition(s)):

        (Japanese original)
        1984
        自然に還る (shizen ni kaeru)
        Shunjūsha (春秋社 publisher)
        1984 Aug.: vii 362p 17p of plates ill. 20cm, out of print ISBN 978-4-393-74104-7;
        1993 April: enlarged and revised edition
        458p, out of print ISBN 978-4-393-74114-6;
        2004 Sept.: new edition
        xvi 488p 8p of plates ill. 18.8x13cm, in print ISBN 978-4-393-74146-7.

        ---(English translation, of only the first original Japanese edition)
        ---1987
        ---"The Road Back to Nature – Regaining the Paradise Lost"
        ---translated by Frederic P. Metreaud;
        ---Japan Publications,
        ---1987 Aug.: first and only edition
        ---377p 8p of plates, out of print ISBN 978-0-87040-673-7.

        Biggest best true nature with all,

        Mr. Jason Stewart
        Cairns, far N QLD, atm.

        On 02/03/2012, at 2:24 AM, Nandan wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Not sure, if this came in this site..This is Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present. I couldn't get the link back, but have the page saved in my system..
        >
        > "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby.
        >
        > I understand Mr. Jackson's scientific approach. I used to have the same view when I was a scientist. You can just think of us three as being on the horse of Don Quixote. It looks like we are saying different things, but we are really on the same horse. The horse is running toward disaster. Wes Jackson's trying to stop the feet of the horse. Bill Mollison's trying to turn the head of the horse. (Laughs) I'm just hanging onto the horse's tail! "
        >
        > Regards,
        > Nandan

      • greenie6666
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
          Hi All:
          I think I now understand what Fukuoka is saying to us, I haven't read the actual article, but in my younger days I used to also be like Fukuoka is saying, I was all for the scientific approach, but through life I noticed it's many mistakes...& mostly it is "man's" smart ideas that have later turned out "foolish" & it is mainly "man's smart ideas" that have got us in the situation we find ourselves in these days. Before man with his ego started to think he was smart & knew more, the planet evolve without our thoughts into a beautiful self sustaining system. Fukuoka told me when I visited him that man makes problems with his technologies, then thinks to solve the problems with another technology, but each time he just digs himself into a deeper & deeper hole in which he will eventually bury himself.

          "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby."

          After reading the work of the Indian sage Sri Aurobindo, where he states that man has to go within & find what he calls his "Supermental Consciousness" he says we will never know real truth or reality with the thinking mind & ego. I think Fukuoka is meaning by "knowledge" the knowledge of the thinking mind..."just become foolish like a bird or child" but this knowledge really isn't foolish, the foolish knowledge is the knowledge of the thinking mind. When we hear this we are shocked, as we have been brought up in an egotistic way to believe we are somehow superior, when this is not true. This inner knowledge is the consciousness that is running the earth & the Universe. The only problem is that connecting with this inner knowledge, from where we are at the moment is not easy, at least I haven't been that lucky so far, this is the state often referred to as "Enlightenment" where you quiten the thinking mind & enter another state of consciousness. Part of this state is intuition, I think this is what Fukuoka means by working with nature in our gardens, not thinking what would be smart, but just going with our intuition.
          Anyway that's my few cents [or paise] worth...regards...Norm Australia.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Not sure, if this came in this site..This is Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present. I couldn't get the link back, but have the page saved in my system..
          >

          > "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby.
          >
          > I understand Mr. Jackson's scientific approach. I used to have the same view when I was a scientist. You can just think of us three as being on the horse of Don Quixote. It looks like we are saying different things, but we are really on the same horse. The horse is running toward disaster. Wes Jackson's trying to stop the feet of the horse. Bill Mollison's trying to turn the head of the horse. (Laughs) I'm just hanging onto the horse's tail! "
          >

          > Regards,
          > Nandan

        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
            Hi Norm from Australia, hi all,

            When you talked of intuition towards the end of your post it made me recall
            my Philosophy 101 classes where we tackled the subject of human
            intelligence.
            Pure spirits function by intuition, meaning to say they get to the essence
            of things instantly.
            Humans who are made of body and mind, with the mind being tied to the body,
            are obliged to obtain knowledge through the body, i.e. through his material
            senses that he employs to pierce the physical and non-physical world. Such
            is the nature of man, that he should obtain most of his knowledge by
            learning and not by intuition.
            Some may see it as a weight, I see it as a wonderful opportunity to
            contemplate the things around us, and to use our ignorance as an excuse
            to enjoy some leisure of sorts.
            Still there are things that man knows instinctively, no matter where he
            comes from or in what religion or non-religion he is brought up in. We
            call them instincts, like the instinct of self-preservation, that of
            respect, or of worship.
            I guess we generally agree that Fukuoka's books hold treasures. They are an
            endless spring, and we non-Japanese speakers would like to see more of his
            works translated, please. Calling Jason and Co.

            Best,
            RUTHIE

          • Jason Stewart
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
              Thanks again Nandan for your topic discussion,
              and thanks Norm and Ruthie for your discussion interpretations,
              furthermore, please see the earlier excellent reflection of the excellent Fukuoka Farmer (practitioner and philisopher) Jean-claude Catry's,
              on this writing "Three Don Quixotes" of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's; see:

              Jean-claude's very encouraging and qualitatively very significant reply was to my request for more on this topic at that time, along the same lines as this topic Nandan (re-)initiated.

              You can all read that book section "Three Don Quixotes" yourselves, and the section after it, favourite especially important section;
              i hope you do next, if not already.
              i haven't got this section already typed up into a quotation ready for quoting here in our little group, so please read the book itself.
              There's pirated free scanned copy on the internet,
              there's a free (partial) preview copy of it in Google Books (of an evidently incomplete copy as the search facility doesn't find the last several pages),
              there's a copy in the Hathi Trust US online massive e-library available for searching only, unless you're a member of a subscribed US university,
              and there's a copy which hasn't been released, claimed because it is still in print which it most definitely is not in print (except perhaps facsimiles)� so please request Steve Solomon owner to release it to us members in his Soil and Health online library.

              Someone else may like to spend the time to type the quotation of the whole section here in our little group?

              Biggest best true nature with all,

              Mr. Jason Stewart
              Cairns, far N QLD, atm.

              On 02/03/2012, at 2:24 AM, Nandan wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Not sure, if this came in this site..This is Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present. I couldn't get the link back, but have the page saved in my system..
              >
              > "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby.
              >
              > I understand Mr. Jackson's scientific approach. I used to have the same view when I was a scientist. You can just think of us three as being on the horse of Don Quixote. It looks like we are saying different things, but we are really on the same horse. The horse is running toward disaster. Wes Jackson's trying to stop the feet of the horse. Bill Mollison's trying to turn the head of the horse. (Laughs) I'm just hanging onto the horse's tail! "
              >
              > Regards,
              > Nandan

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
                Thanks Jason, will try to locate the book.

                Regards,
                Nandan

                ________________________________
                Thanks again Nandan for your topic discussion,
                and thanks Norm and Ruthie for your discussion interpretations,
                furthermore, please see the earlier excellent reflection of the excellent Fukuoka Farmer (practitioner and philisopher) Jean-claude Catry's,
                on this writing "Three Don Quixotes" of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's; see:

                Jean-claude's very encouraging and qualitatively very significant reply was to my request for more on this topic at that time, along the same lines as this topic Nandan (re-)initiated.

                You can all read that book section "Three Don Quixotes" yourselves, and the section after it, favourite especially important section;
                i hope you do next, if not already.
                i haven't got this section already typed up into a quotation ready for quoting here in our little group, so please read the book itself.
                There's pirated free scanned copy on the internet,
                there's a free (partial) preview copy of it in Google Books (of an evidently incomplete copy as the search facility doesn't find the last several pages),
                there's a copy in the Hathi Trust US online massive e-library available for searching only, unless you're a member of a subscribed US university,
                and there's a copy which hasn't been released, claimed because it is still in print which it most definitely is not in print (except perhaps facsimiles)— so please request Steve Solomon owner to release it to us members in his Soil and Health online library.

                Someone else may like to spend the time to type the quotation of the whole section here in our little group?

                Biggest best true nature with all,

                Mr. Jason Stewart
                Cairns, far N QLD, atm.

                On 02/03/2012, at 2:24 AM, Nandan wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > Not sure, if this came in this site..This is Fukuoka san's comment in an interview where Fukuoka san, Bill Mollison and Wes Jackson were present. I couldn't get the link back, but have the page saved in my system..
                >
                > "The confusion started when humans ate the Fruit of Knowledge. Adam and Eve were thrown away from the Garden of Eden. The only way to get back is to throw away the knowledge! Just become foolish like a bird or baby.
                >
                > I understand Mr. Jackson's scientific approach. I used to have the same view when I was a scientist. You can just think of us three as being on the horse of Don Quixote. It looks like we are saying different things, but we are really on the same horse. The horse is running toward disaster. Wes Jackson's trying to stop the feet of the horse. Bill Mollison's trying to turn the head of the horse. (Laughs) I'm just hanging onto the horse's tail! "
                >
                > Regards,
                > Nandan

              • Jason Stewart
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Dear friend Nandan,

                  It is easy to locate for you and all

                  we here in this group have numerous times had references/links made available to the pirate scanned online downloadable copy (100MB). numerous of our Indian members where reading that pirate scanned copy a fews years ago and discussing it on this group�two pages where excluded from the pirate's scanning process�seemingly not coincidentally with the two pages politically enlightened content�so i manually typed those two pages of it up from my own original and purchased hardback copy, for all to read.

                  let us know if you have any trouble finding it.

                  Jason
                  Cairns, Bama country, far N QLD, Oz

                  On 03/03/2012, at 4:13 PM, Nandan Palaparambil wrote:

                  > Thanks Jason, will try to locate the book.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Nandan
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Nandan Palaparambil
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
                    Hi Jason,

                    Once it is freely available in the internet, it is not possible to know if pirated or not. I had paid and bought Fukuoka videos, both Indian visit video (bought one more copy for my friend) and the other one which is now available on the youtube. I don't think Bull frog films put it on the internet..but I am sure, it is seen by all people.

                    If I am not able to locate the link, will contact you

                    Regards,
                    Nandan

                    ________________________________
                    we here in this group have numerous times had references/links made available to the pirate scanned online downloadable copy (100MB). numerous of our Indian members where reading that pirate scanned copy a fews years ago and discussing it on this group—two pages where excluded from the pirate's scanning process—seemingly not coincidentally with the two pages politically enlightened content—so i manually typed those two pages of it up from my own original and purchased hardback copy, for all to read.

                    let us know if you have any trouble finding it.

                    Jason
                    Cairns, Bama country, far N QLD, Oz

                    On 03/03/2012, at 4:13 PM, Nandan Palaparambil wrote:

                    > Thanks Jason, will try to locate the book.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Nandan
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Jason Stewart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
                      ...we are getting towards losing the Fukuoka Farming topic now, nevermind... .

                      On 03/03/2012, at 5:48 PM, Nandan Palaparambil wrote:

                      > Once it is freely available in the internet, it is not possible to know if pirated or not.

                      What? It is for sure an unauthorised, pirated scanned copy. Also it is a low quality amateur scan job, not the kind of scan job that Google or the Soil and Health library or the Hathi trust (pro's) do. Also i have knowledge of the likely pirate, of it. They pirated a lot of stuff and had a now shutdown blog about all their pirate copies. Urgency of the world situation doesn't licence the throwing away of morality incl. appropriate legality. Urgency of the world situation necessitate more conscientious practise of appropriate morals and laws. Of course. And you would or should all already know this. Any truly wise person often teaches this point, like Gandiji is a pre-eminent world example of extraordinary observance of the ultimate appropriate morals, of course, especially of non-violence; Alive today, Kundun, the 14th Dalai Lama is often making this point of appropriate morality in emergency times, in writing and speaking too.

                      i'm busy, why do i find it for you, when you can find it just as easily as me. i just had to prove that i wasn't lying when i said that it is easy to find. proven, again! i'm tired of negations. Nandan, you can do it just as much as me! why not?!
                      .

                    • Jason Stewart
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
                        ...and more again: