rethinking markets

  • fhi_katari
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
      I had posted my thoughts on markets and NF, and actually learned a lot from the responses. I was not the least bit offended by the criticism, and had some productive side conversations. Over time, I was able to reflect on, and understand a little bit more the underlying philosophy of Fukuoka San.

      This was further reinforced yesterday, when I sat down to a meal at a Buddhist Monastery. It was an expression of gratitude, which read something like "May I be worthy of this generous offering (by the lay community). May I only take what is necessary to maintain my practice of dharma."

      I think this sentiment is also reflected in Natural Farming: let us only take what is necessary. It is perhaps important to truly reflect upon it, and understand it, before we start bringing markets into the equation. The harvest from the earth is a generous offering, of the forces of nature, and the people working according to nature. It is important to appreciate the magnitude of this generosity.

      Once again, I thank the people in the group for writing. It gave me much room for reflection.
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
        Hello,
        In this group we all learn from one another, we are learning from you, too,
        dear friend.
        Within the comfort of this group we share and exchange, and I am afraid
        that sometimes we forget just how marginal we are.
        We are isolated, we are a drop in the ocean.
        I first thought we could be better understood by smaller farmers, but in
        fact they think we are too idealistic and very ignorant of the pressing
        need to feed the world right away and not when our NF starts functioning in
        some distant future.
        How do we make the transition from big farming multinationals to small
        farmers who only take what they need?
        How do we draw individuals away from the cities and back to the countryside?
        How do we persuade them to stop prestigious and costly scientific research?
        When I try to explain NF people smile and I know they are thinking, that's
        cute, sounds logical, but just another utopia.
        When the nation's ministers and the president of the republic take the
        plane instead of the train or a car to go to their meetings how can they
        even begin to understand NF much less implement it?
        How come Fukuoka-san who received the Earth Council award in Rio has not
        been heard or listened to or his teachings spread to poor but honorable
        farmers? I am sad to discover his teachings have not reached those who
        should have received them first and foremost.
        I don't know about my counterparts in India, but really in France I feel
        like I am embarking on a futile adventure. There are people around me who
        are smart enough to understand the principle behind NF, but would not
        abandon the tried and tested methods of their parents and grandparents.
        You see I am not yet even talking about French and European agricultural
        policies but the plain family sphere. If we consider the number of Indian
        contributors in this group which to me is already a nice number, still it
        is nothing compared to the size of your country which is far bigger than
        France.
        One member recently asked about the best way to spread the thought and I
        said, perhaps there is nothing to do, perhaps the best way is by setting
        an example? On second thought I think something has to be done, I just
        have not figured out what.
        There are no Buddhist monasteries here to experience what you, dear friend,
        experienced, people complain of unemployment and insecurity, there is
        general insatisfaction, purchasing power is shrinking at an alarming rate,
        still we eat large quantities of food. I know it is not real food but just
        stomach fillers. As Fukuoka asked, can people who don't eat natural food
        be natural people?
        I ask, how can such people even begin to grasp NF?

        best
        RUTHIE

        2012/2/28 fhi_katari <katari@...>

        > **
        >

        > I had posted my thoughts on markets and NF, and actually learned a lot
        > from the responses. I was not the least bit offended by the criticism, and
        > had some productive side conversations. Over time, I was able to reflect
        > on, and understand a little bit more the underlying philosophy of Fukuoka
        > San.
        >
        > This was further reinforced yesterday, when I sat down to a meal at a
        > Buddhist Monastery. It was an expression of gratitude, which read something
        > like "May I be worthy of this generous offering (by the lay community). May
        > I only take what is necessary to maintain my practice of dharma."
        >
        > I think this sentiment is also reflected in Natural Farming: let us only
        > take what is necessary. It is perhaps important to truly reflect upon it,
        > and understand it, before we start bringing markets into the equation. The
        > harvest from the earth is a generous offering, of the forces of nature, and
        > the people working according to nature. It is important to appreciate the
        > magnitude of this generosity.
        >
        > Once again, I thank the people in the group for writing. It gave me much
        > room for reflection.
        >

        > Reply to sender <katari@...?subject=Re%3A%20rethinking%20markets>| Reply
        > to group<fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20rethinking%20markets>| Reply
        > 1)