Re: [fukuoka_farming] Buckwheat etc...

  • Jenny & Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
      Souscayrous-

      Buckwheat would not germinate at this time of year-(in the northern
      hemisphere!)...even where you live. Sow it in the spring. Rye and
      mustards, inc. rape, will germinate at lower temps. Rape and the other
      mustard allies have very deep root systems, as does alfalfa (lucerne). What
      about chicories?

      jenny harris
      Lopez Island, Washington USA

      > Would it be too late to broadcast Buckwheat, rye or mustard now? I
      > live 30km from the Mediterranean and winters generally only have a
      > few nights with temps below freezing, though some years there can be
      > an exceptionally cold spell. If I still have time, would you
      > recommend buckwheat above the others as I want to break up the soil
      > as much as possible and I understand buckwheat has the most
      > penetrating root system.
      >
      > Thanks for any help.
      >
      > Souscayrous

    • burt levy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
        I agree that buckwheat won't grow this time of year as
        the slightest frost will kill it off. I think that
        spreading different clovers such as red clover, white
        clover etc makes sense for a few reasons. For one it
        is a low growing ground cover. If you plant alfalfa or
        mustard which grow tall,. Your crop plants won't be
        able to compete. With the low growing clovers, it is
        hoped that they will crowd out the weeds when it grows
        thick enough. Then when it is time to plant you could
        cut the clover low and spread your seeds in the clover
        with out even using seedballs. The clover would
        protect the seeds from being eaten. The sprouts would
        be able to grow out and over the clover, because the
        clover would be temporarely slowed down by the
        cutting. The plants could then grow over and with the
        clover. Also red and white clover blossoms are
        medicinal herbs and therefor can be an additional cash
        crop.--- Jenny & Bob <fruitandnut@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
          In a message dated 12/7/2001 12:15:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,