Re: [fukuoka_farming] Question about the website

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
      Separation would be useful. The projects of this group are dear
      to follow, even beyond the education that they offer. I will be
      pleased to file my eventual report wherever is agreed upon.

      By the way, many thanks to you who have sent your encouragement,
      best wishes & your prayers. They worked. Last Monday night, as those
      of us present held our breath, our City Council voted to buy the
      "Missing Link," the piece of our public park & greenway that had been
      sold by accident, & the city has undertaken a complete inventory of
      parkland & rezoned all our neighborhood's park property to prevent
      another such oversight. Since our group was recognized for much
      effort in uncovering the mistake, & for putting in the research to get
      the problem corrected, we now have the support of a coalition of
      eminent environmentalists & educators who may be called upon to
      endorse the Fukuoka-based work that we have begun along the edge of
      the park, if we are challenged again by certain individuals in the
      Department of Parks for creating what is to them an unkempt flower
      border. This week though, we are basking in the Department's favor,
      and suddenly floating in relief & hope for the spring.

      Thanks especially to Professor Graves. The pink purslane is
      spreading in the podzols, or however that would be botanically stated.

      Larry Haftl wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I have a question for the group about possibly modifying the
      > website.
      > Right now there is a subsection for Articles. This was meant to
      > be where links to articles about Fukuoka and his methods. Some of
      > the articles would be on the website (the Plowboy interview is the
      > first example), and some of the articles would be on other websites.
      >
      > We talked about posting reports about our actual experiences trying
      > to implement his methods, and the Articles subsection seemed to be
      > the place to do that.
      >
      > But as I thought about the mixing of general information articles,
      > such as the Plowboy interview, with project reports from this group
      > it occurred to me that it might be more useful to keep them
      > separate.
      > Perhaps a new subsection called, for lack of a better though, "And
      > Beyond", where we could post articles about projects that are
      > variations
      > or site-specific implementations of Fukuoka's methods. My thought
      > was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress" articles
      > from the more general articles.
      >
      > My question to the group is what do you think of this idea? Is it
      > worth doing, or is it just the bizarre product of an excessively
      > internet-saturated brain? And if it is worth doing are you willing
      > to contribute information to this subsection?
      >

      > Larry Haftl
      > larry@...
      > http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
      > http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org

    • Justin .
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        Great idea. But how about entitling it "Projects", or "Our experiments" or
        something - more direct and understandable. When you hold the mouse over the
        link, you know that little box that appears to tell you what it will link
        to? That could say "putting Fukuoka's ideas into practise around the world".
        Why I think this is all important? I think many of us don't have the time to
        explore all the links of every website, unless we know what they link to and
        that it is what we want.

        I think that that section is actually the most important part of the
        website. Fukuoka is in essence a practical man. I feel therefore a practical
        website is in order. And I think we would help the world (really!) if we
        could help gather these reports and experiments together, input them and
        make them accessable. Learning from experience takes much energy. Learning
        from the experience of others aids this process greatly. And sharing is the
        way forward.
        Darwin put his whole emphasis for evolution on natural selection - survival
        of the fittest! What he did not understand so well were the laws of
        self-organisation, and the great role of co-operation.
        Justin.

        >Perhaps a new subsection called, for lack of a better though, "And
        >Beyond", where we could post articles about projects that are variations
        >or site-specific implementations of Fukuoka's methods. My thought
        >was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress" articles
        >from the more general articles.

      • Beatrice Gilboa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
          From: "Larry Haftl" wrote:
          >>My thought was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress"
          articles
          from the more general articles.

          I agree, and wouldn't like to see the web site saturated with to much of
          non-fukuoka articles that anyway we can find easily on other sites.

          Thank you Larry for your great work anyway.

          Beatrice
          Israel