Question about the website

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hello all,

      I have a question for the group about possibly modifying the website.
      Right now there is a subsection for Articles. This was meant to
      be where links to articles about Fukuoka and his methods. Some of
      the articles would be on the website (the Plowboy interview is the
      first example), and some of the articles would be on other websites.
      We talked about posting reports about our actual experiences trying
      to implement his methods, and the Articles subsection seemed to be
      the place to do that.

      But as I thought about the mixing of general information articles,
      such as the Plowboy interview, with project reports from this group
      it occurred to me that it might be more useful to keep them separate.
      Perhaps a new subsection called, for lack of a better though, "And
      Beyond", where we could post articles about projects that are variations
      or site-specific implementations of Fukuoka's methods. My thought
      was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress" articles
      from the more general articles.

      My question to the group is what do you think of this idea? Is it
      worth doing, or is it just the bizarre product of an excessively
      internet-saturated brain? And if it is worth doing are you willing
      to contribute information to this subsection?

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2002
        Separation would be useful. The projects of this group are dear
        to follow, even beyond the education that they offer. I will be
        pleased to file my eventual report wherever is agreed upon.

        By the way, many thanks to you who have sent your encouragement,
        best wishes & your prayers. They worked. Last Monday night, as those
        of us present held our breath, our City Council voted to buy the
        "Missing Link," the piece of our public park & greenway that had been
        sold by accident, & the city has undertaken a complete inventory of
        parkland & rezoned all our neighborhood's park property to prevent
        another such oversight. Since our group was recognized for much
        effort in uncovering the mistake, & for putting in the research to get
        the problem corrected, we now have the support of a coalition of
        eminent environmentalists & educators who may be called upon to
        endorse the Fukuoka-based work that we have begun along the edge of
        the park, if we are challenged again by certain individuals in the
        Department of Parks for creating what is to them an unkempt flower
        border. This week though, we are basking in the Department's favor,
        and suddenly floating in relief & hope for the spring.

        Thanks especially to Professor Graves. The pink purslane is
        spreading in the podzols, or however that would be botanically stated.

        Larry Haftl wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have a question for the group about possibly modifying the
        > website.
        > Right now there is a subsection for Articles. This was meant to
        > be where links to articles about Fukuoka and his methods. Some of
        > the articles would be on the website (the Plowboy interview is the
        > first example), and some of the articles would be on other websites.
        >
        > We talked about posting reports about our actual experiences trying
        > to implement his methods, and the Articles subsection seemed to be
        > the place to do that.
        >
        > But as I thought about the mixing of general information articles,
        > such as the Plowboy interview, with project reports from this group
        > it occurred to me that it might be more useful to keep them
        > separate.
        > Perhaps a new subsection called, for lack of a better though, "And
        > Beyond", where we could post articles about projects that are
        > variations
        > or site-specific implementations of Fukuoka's methods. My thought
        > was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress" articles
        > from the more general articles.
        >
        > My question to the group is what do you think of this idea? Is it
        > worth doing, or is it just the bizarre product of an excessively
        > internet-saturated brain? And if it is worth doing are you willing
        > to contribute information to this subsection?
        >

        > Larry Haftl
        > larry@...
        > http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
        > http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org

      • Justin .
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
          Great idea. But how about entitling it "Projects", or "Our experiments" or
          something - more direct and understandable. When you hold the mouse over the
          link, you know that little box that appears to tell you what it will link
          to? That could say "putting Fukuoka's ideas into practise around the world".
          Why I think this is all important? I think many of us don't have the time to
          explore all the links of every website, unless we know what they link to and
          that it is what we want.

          I think that that section is actually the most important part of the
          website. Fukuoka is in essence a practical man. I feel therefore a practical
          website is in order. And I think we would help the world (really!) if we
          could help gather these reports and experiments together, input them and
          make them accessable. Learning from experience takes much energy. Learning
          from the experience of others aids this process greatly. And sharing is the
          way forward.
          Darwin put his whole emphasis for evolution on natural selection - survival
          of the fittest! What he did not understand so well were the laws of
          self-organisation, and the great role of co-operation.
          Justin.

          >Perhaps a new subsection called, for lack of a better though, "And
          >Beyond", where we could post articles about projects that are variations
          >or site-specific implementations of Fukuoka's methods. My thought
          >was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress" articles
          >from the more general articles.

        • Beatrice Gilboa
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
            From: "Larry Haftl" wrote:
            >>My thought was that it may be useful to separate "work-in-progress"
            articles
            from the more general articles.

            I agree, and wouldn't like to see the web site saturated with to much of
            non-fukuoka articles that anyway we can find easily on other sites.

            Thank you Larry for your great work anyway.

            Beatrice
            Israel