Re: [fukuoka_farming] about hand held seed dibblers....

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 10, 2012
      Last year, I was also very eagerly looking for a dibbler. In fact, we tried
      making a simple one using a bamboo stick. However, we figured that a
      successful dibbler depends largely on the type of the soil. Our soil is
      very clayey, so it sticks to the dibbler's end and so such a dibbler does
      not work well in our farm. Of course the one designed by the NIF may take
      care of this. However it is not available.

      The other issue with a dibbler is the amount of work you will have to do,
      if your plot is large (starting from half an acre). This is daunting for
      any beginner. After all the trial and error, we figured that broadcasting
      is much easier. It is effective too, if you made seed balls. It took us
      close to six hours to dibble and place seeds in quarter an acre, while with
      broadcasting, we could cover over half an acre in about 20 mins.

      If you ask me, dibbling is NOT worth the effort :)

      As for the cycle weeder, I am not sure if one can cycle in a wet paddy
      field. I cycle and I know how difficult it is to manage sandy surfaces. Wet
      paddy field would be almost impossible. Of course, if you are referring to
      a 'bicycle wheel weeder', I would have no idea.

      Lastly (most important), I would not attempt to experiment NF on large
      portions of land, if I am a beginner. There are too many challenges with
      it. It may not be just the change in practices, it is do with the way my
      neighbours and the entire environment behaves. For e.g. we grew chickpea
      and bengal gram successfully on a plot. As these plants were growing along
      with the weed, a shepherd thought it was a non-cultivated land and let all
      his sheep graze on it :(

      Regards,
      Harish

      On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > dear friends.
      >
      > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
      > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
      > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
      > any clue where to acquire it.
      >
      > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
      > tractors.
      >
      > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
      > unfortunately the products are not available now.
      >
      > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
      >
      > Arjun

    • Anant Joglekar
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2012
        I have uploaded relevant 4 files in the groups files section.

        1  broadcasting.pdf
             SEED BROADCASTER
        2  Plant seeds while standing.pdf
            Plant seeds while standing
        3  Seeder&Planter.pdf
            Seeder and Planter
        4  Stand & Plant Seeder & Planter.pdf
            STAND AND PLANT SEEDER

        You might have got the announcement by now.

        Hope It may serve the purpose.

        anant joglekar
        9423089706

        >________________________________

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2012
          Arjun,

          I was also looking for the seeder at one point, but didn't buy one. Here is one found during my search.

          http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/agricultural_engineering/agriengg_fmp_commercial_naveen_dibbler.html

          Please see the site where there is news about Sreekanth of Vanashree has bought a seeder (US product) and he says it is an effective one.

          http://www.vanashree.in/Latest_News.htm%c2%a0-%c2%a0%c2%a0Earthway Precision Seeder

          I am not sure, if these are meant for planting through mulch.

          What kind of seeds are you planning to use? May be some local variety which grows tall may be an option since they can compete with grass well. During my search for seeds found that there are some upland varieties which needs less care. But the yield seems to be very bad, some has yields 500-600Kgs/hectre and looking for slightly better ones.

          According to the history the High Yielding Varieties (HYV) came to solve the problem of low yield of the local varieties and they expect chemical fertilisers and give good yield. It is a surprising fact for me that Fukuoka san got 1000Kgs per quarter acre with natural farming. If we watch photos of Fukuoka san's paddy field, but you can clearly see they are yielding good.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2012
            Arjun
            Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
            year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
            be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
            does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
            distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
            a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
            work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
            me.
            ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
            know
            Best
            Venkat

          • richa.pant@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
              Hi Venkat,
              Could you post some pictures of your weeder please.
              Thanks
              Richa
              The Himalayan Farm Project
              Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

              Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
              year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
              be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
              does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
              distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
              a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
              work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
              me.
              ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
              know
              Best
              Venkat

              On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > dear friends.
              >
              > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
              > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
              > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
              > any clue where to acquire it.
              >
              > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
              > tractors.
              >
              > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
              > unfortunately the products are not available now.
              >
              > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
              >
              > Arjun

            • Do bigha Zameen
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
                Dear Harish,

                thanx so much for sharing your experiances

                regards,

                arjun

                ________________________________
                Last year, I was also very eagerly looking for a dibbler. In fact, we tried
                making a simple one using a bamboo stick. However, we figured that a
                successful dibbler depends largely on the type of the soil. Our soil is
                very clayey, so it sticks to the dibbler's end and so such a dibbler does
                not work well in our farm. Of course the one designed by the NIF may take
                care of this. However it is not available.

                The other issue with a dibbler is the amount of work you will have to do,
                if your plot is large (starting from half an acre). This is daunting for
                any beginner. After all the trial and error, we figured that broadcasting
                is much easier. It is effective too, if you made seed balls. It took us
                close to six hours to dibble and place seeds in quarter an acre, while with
                broadcasting, we could cover over half an acre in about 20 mins.

                If you ask me, dibbling is NOT worth the effort :)

                As for the cycle weeder, I am not sure if one can cycle in a wet paddy
                field. I cycle and I know how difficult it is to manage sandy surfaces. Wet
                paddy field would be almost impossible. Of course, if you are referring to
                a 'bicycle wheel weeder', I would have no idea.

                Lastly (most important), I would not attempt to experiment NF on large
                portions of land, if I am a beginner. There are too many challenges with
                it. It may not be just the change in practices, it is do with the way my
                neighbours and the entire environment behaves. For e.g. we grew chickpea
                and bengal gram successfully on a plot. As these plants were growing along
                with the weed, a shepherd thought it was a non-cultivated land and let all
                his sheep graze on it :(

                Regards,
                Harish

                On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > dear friends.
                >
                > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                > any clue where to acquire it.
                >
                > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                > tractors.
                >
                > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                >
                > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                >
                > Arjun

              • Do bigha Zameen
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
                  venkat/ravi..... hi,

                  i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever crop we are growing.

                  Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.

                  Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler

                  regards,

                  Arjun

                  ________________________________
                  Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
                  year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
                  be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
                  does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
                  distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
                  a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
                  work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
                  me.
                  ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
                  know
                  Best
                  Venkat

                  On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > dear friends.
                  >
                  > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                  > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                  > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                  > any clue where to acquire it.
                  >
                  > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                  > tractors.
                  >
                  > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                  > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                  >
                  > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                  >
                  > Arjun

                • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2012
                    To my knowledge seed dribblers work well in dry , tilled lands for row
                    seeding.
                    They are not useful in wet field conditions esp. rice fields.
                    I'd prefer triangular planting of grain seeds at regular intervals manually
                    ,though it is a back breaking work.
                    If one does not care much about weeding , the easiest way is to scatter
                    seeds in standing crops.

                    Making seed balls is also a good alternative but time consuming.

                    On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Do bigha Zameen
                    <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > venkat/ravi..... hi,
                    >
                    > i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar
                    > to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder
                    > attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever
                    > crop we are growing.
                    >
                    > Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me
                    > directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.
                    >
                    > Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is
                    > better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler
                    >
                    > regards,
                    >
                    > Arjun
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                    Boovarahan S
                    Chennai.
                    09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                  • Venkat Iyer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 16, 2012
                      that is exactly what i have. dont have pic will take and post

                      <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > venkat/ravi..... hi,
                      >
                      > i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar
                      > to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder
                      > attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever
                      > crop we are growing.
                      >
                      > Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me
                      > directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.
                      >
                      > Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is
                      > better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler
                      >
                      > regards,
                      >
                      > Arjun
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      Venkat Iyer
                      203, Madhyam Society,
                      M G Road, Goregaon (West),
                      Mumbai - 400 062
                      India
                      Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
                      (Mob) : 9820052606
                      (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

                    • devaraja tn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
                        Take a look at this cycle weeder. We use it in our KVK and few farmers are also adapting it.
                        Regards,
                        Dev

                        ________________________________

                        Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
                        year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
                        be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
                        does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
                        distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
                        a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
                        work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
                        me.
                        ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
                        know
                        Best
                        Venkat

                        On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > dear friends.
                        >
                        > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                        > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                        > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                        > any clue where to acquire it.
                        >
                        > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                        > tractors.
                        >
                        > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                        > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                        >
                        > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                        >
                        > Arjun

                      • Anant Joglekar
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
                          Link missing

                          anant joglekar
                          9423089706

                          >________________________________

                        • devaraja tn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 17, 2012
                            Please check this. Might have missed the file accidentally.
                            Regards,
                            Dev

                            >Take a look at this cycle weeder. We use it in our KVK and few farmers are also adapting it.
                            >Regards,
                            >Dev

                          • Harish Amur
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 20, 2012
                              You may be trying to attach a file in your email. That will not work with
                              yahoo groups. Please upload the photo somewhere and share that link.

                              If not, I am sorry for having spoken too early :)

                              Regards,
                              Harish