about hand held seed dibblers....

  • dobighazameen
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 9, 2012
      dear friends.

      In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has any clue where to acquire it.

      All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers & tractors.

      There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but unfortunately the products are not available now.

      Please do let me know & best wishes to all.

      Arjun
    • Harish Amur
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2012
        Last year, I was also very eagerly looking for a dibbler. In fact, we tried
        making a simple one using a bamboo stick. However, we figured that a
        successful dibbler depends largely on the type of the soil. Our soil is
        very clayey, so it sticks to the dibbler's end and so such a dibbler does
        not work well in our farm. Of course the one designed by the NIF may take
        care of this. However it is not available.

        The other issue with a dibbler is the amount of work you will have to do,
        if your plot is large (starting from half an acre). This is daunting for
        any beginner. After all the trial and error, we figured that broadcasting
        is much easier. It is effective too, if you made seed balls. It took us
        close to six hours to dibble and place seeds in quarter an acre, while with
        broadcasting, we could cover over half an acre in about 20 mins.

        If you ask me, dibbling is NOT worth the effort :)

        As for the cycle weeder, I am not sure if one can cycle in a wet paddy
        field. I cycle and I know how difficult it is to manage sandy surfaces. Wet
        paddy field would be almost impossible. Of course, if you are referring to
        a 'bicycle wheel weeder', I would have no idea.

        Lastly (most important), I would not attempt to experiment NF on large
        portions of land, if I am a beginner. There are too many challenges with
        it. It may not be just the change in practices, it is do with the way my
        neighbours and the entire environment behaves. For e.g. we grew chickpea
        and bengal gram successfully on a plot. As these plants were growing along
        with the weed, a shepherd thought it was a non-cultivated land and let all
        his sheep graze on it :(

        Regards,
        Harish

        On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > dear friends.
        >
        > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
        > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
        > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
        > any clue where to acquire it.
        >
        > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
        > tractors.
        >
        > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
        > unfortunately the products are not available now.
        >
        > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
        >
        > Arjun

      • Anant Joglekar
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 10, 2012
          I have uploaded relevant 4 files in the groups files section.

          1  broadcasting.pdf
               SEED BROADCASTER
          2  Plant seeds while standing.pdf
              Plant seeds while standing
          3  Seeder&Planter.pdf
              Seeder and Planter
          4  Stand & Plant Seeder & Planter.pdf
              STAND AND PLANT SEEDER

          You might have got the announcement by now.

          Hope It may serve the purpose.

          anant joglekar
          9423089706

          >________________________________

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2012
            Arjun,

            I was also looking for the seeder at one point, but didn't buy one. Here is one found during my search.

            http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/agricultural_engineering/agriengg_fmp_commercial_naveen_dibbler.html

            Please see the site where there is news about Sreekanth of Vanashree has bought a seeder (US product) and he says it is an effective one.

            http://www.vanashree.in/Latest_News.htm%c2%a0-%c2%a0%c2%a0Earthway Precision Seeder

            I am not sure, if these are meant for planting through mulch.

            What kind of seeds are you planning to use? May be some local variety which grows tall may be an option since they can compete with grass well. During my search for seeds found that there are some upland varieties which needs less care. But the yield seems to be very bad, some has yields 500-600Kgs/hectre and looking for slightly better ones.

            According to the history the High Yielding Varieties (HYV) came to solve the problem of low yield of the local varieties and they expect chemical fertilisers and give good yield. It is a surprising fact for me that Fukuoka san got 1000Kgs per quarter acre with natural farming. If we watch photos of Fukuoka san's paddy field, but you can clearly see they are yielding good.

            Regards,
            Nandan

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2012
              Arjun
              Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
              year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
              be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
              does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
              distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
              a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
              work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
              me.
              ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
              know
              Best
              Venkat

            • richa.pant@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
                Hi Venkat,
                Could you post some pictures of your weeder please.
                Thanks
                Richa
                The Himalayan Farm Project
                Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
                year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
                be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
                does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
                distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
                a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
                work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
                me.
                ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
                know
                Best
                Venkat

                On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > dear friends.
                >
                > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                > any clue where to acquire it.
                >
                > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                > tractors.
                >
                > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                >
                > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                >
                > Arjun

              • Do bigha Zameen
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
                  Dear Harish,

                  thanx so much for sharing your experiances

                  regards,

                  arjun

                  ________________________________
                  Last year, I was also very eagerly looking for a dibbler. In fact, we tried
                  making a simple one using a bamboo stick. However, we figured that a
                  successful dibbler depends largely on the type of the soil. Our soil is
                  very clayey, so it sticks to the dibbler's end and so such a dibbler does
                  not work well in our farm. Of course the one designed by the NIF may take
                  care of this. However it is not available.

                  The other issue with a dibbler is the amount of work you will have to do,
                  if your plot is large (starting from half an acre). This is daunting for
                  any beginner. After all the trial and error, we figured that broadcasting
                  is much easier. It is effective too, if you made seed balls. It took us
                  close to six hours to dibble and place seeds in quarter an acre, while with
                  broadcasting, we could cover over half an acre in about 20 mins.

                  If you ask me, dibbling is NOT worth the effort :)

                  As for the cycle weeder, I am not sure if one can cycle in a wet paddy
                  field. I cycle and I know how difficult it is to manage sandy surfaces. Wet
                  paddy field would be almost impossible. Of course, if you are referring to
                  a 'bicycle wheel weeder', I would have no idea.

                  Lastly (most important), I would not attempt to experiment NF on large
                  portions of land, if I am a beginner. There are too many challenges with
                  it. It may not be just the change in practices, it is do with the way my
                  neighbours and the entire environment behaves. For e.g. we grew chickpea
                  and bengal gram successfully on a plot. As these plants were growing along
                  with the weed, a shepherd thought it was a non-cultivated land and let all
                  his sheep graze on it :(

                  Regards,
                  Harish

                  On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > dear friends.
                  >
                  > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                  > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                  > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                  > any clue where to acquire it.
                  >
                  > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                  > tractors.
                  >
                  > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                  > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                  >
                  > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                  >
                  > Arjun

                • Do bigha Zameen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2012
                    venkat/ravi..... hi,

                    i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever crop we are growing.

                    Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.

                    Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler

                    regards,

                    Arjun

                    ________________________________
                    Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
                    year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
                    be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
                    does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
                    distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
                    a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
                    work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
                    me.
                    ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
                    know
                    Best
                    Venkat

                    On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > dear friends.
                    >
                    > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                    > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                    > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                    > any clue where to acquire it.
                    >
                    > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                    > tractors.
                    >
                    > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                    > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                    >
                    > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                    >
                    > Arjun

                  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 13, 2012
                      To my knowledge seed dribblers work well in dry , tilled lands for row
                      seeding.
                      They are not useful in wet field conditions esp. rice fields.
                      I'd prefer triangular planting of grain seeds at regular intervals manually
                      ,though it is a back breaking work.
                      If one does not care much about weeding , the easiest way is to scatter
                      seeds in standing crops.

                      Making seed balls is also a good alternative but time consuming.

                      On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Do bigha Zameen
                      <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > venkat/ravi..... hi,
                      >
                      > i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar
                      > to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder
                      > attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever
                      > crop we are growing.
                      >
                      > Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me
                      > directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.
                      >
                      > Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is
                      > better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler
                      >
                      > regards,
                      >
                      > Arjun
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      Boovarahan S
                      Chennai.
                      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                    • Venkat Iyer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 16, 2012
                        that is exactly what i have. dont have pic will take and post

                        <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > venkat/ravi..... hi,
                        >
                        > i was talking of a cycle wheel weeder, it basically has a handle (similar
                        > to bicycle), one bicycle wheel, with tyre & a weeder V shaped weeder
                        > attachment below, so that we can walk through two rows of rice or whatever
                        > crop we are growing.
                        >
                        > Anyway send a snap of the one you got from wardha either here or to me
                        > directly.....then will be able to decide for myself.
                        >
                        > Both you & Harish are suggesting that broadcasting by hand is
                        > better.....but still i would prefer to try one seed dibbler
                        >
                        > regards,
                        >
                        > Arjun
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                        Venkat Iyer
                        203, Madhyam Society,
                        M G Road, Goregaon (West),
                        Mumbai - 400 062
                        India
                        Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
                        (Mob) : 9820052606
                        (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

                      • devaraja tn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
                          Take a look at this cycle weeder. We use it in our KVK and few farmers are also adapting it.
                          Regards,
                          Dev

                          ________________________________

                          Just got a cycle weeder from Wardha Chetna Vikas for 750. Trying it this
                          year in groundnut. Do not know if it can work in rice. Too much chikal will
                          be there and huge chunks will come up. It works well if the soil is dry and
                          does not uproot the crop. They have 3 attachments to cater to different
                          distances in crop sowing. There is a person in Wada Mr Wadekar who has made
                          a seed ball dribbler. I went and saw the same but did not think it will
                          work for me. Have resorted to just sprinkling the seeds and it works for
                          me.
                          ps. Am going to Wardha on 17th. If u wish can get u one. Please do let me
                          know
                          Best
                          Venkat

                          On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, dobighazameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > dear friends.
                          >
                          > In my quest to reach 'no-till' farming by June 2012 (for rice) i am
                          > looking for "hand held seed dibblers" & a "bicycle weeder" (sorry i'm not
                          > confident yet to grow rice without weeding). Do let me know if anyone has
                          > any clue where to acquire it.
                          >
                          > All manufacturers in India is catering for attachments for tillers &
                          > tractors.
                          >
                          > There is one available with the National Innovation Foundation, but
                          > unfortunately the products are not available now.
                          >
                          > Please do let me know & best wishes to all.
                          >
                          > Arjun

                        • Anant Joglekar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
                            Link missing

                            anant joglekar
                            9423089706

                            >________________________________

                          • devaraja tn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 17, 2012
                              Please check this. Might have missed the file accidentally.
                              Regards,
                              Dev

                              >Take a look at this cycle weeder. We use it in our KVK and few farmers are also adapting it.
                              >Regards,
                              >Dev

                            • Harish Amur
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 20, 2012
                                You may be trying to attach a file in your email. That will not work with
                                yahoo groups. Please upload the photo somewhere and share that link.

                                If not, I am sorry for having spoken too early :)

                                Regards,
                                Harish