Re: [fukuoka_farming] creating markets for NF

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
      Here is the link of a couple who had left their job and lives from income from farming. They don't do natural farming, but organic farming, kids are home schooled etc..

      http://jaindarpan.com/Ebooks/Ebooks_Word/Two_Thoreaus_Of_Sakwa_County.doc

      another report of the same couple in

      http://ananthoosupdates.blogspot.in/search/label/interesting%20folks - under the heading Extra ordinary couple

      Regards,
      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2012
        This may hurt a few.

        I think everyone is missing one point. Right now, we have a society which
        is being 'educated' to believe by all means that 'Low price = Low quality'.
        The consumer mindset must change. He must understand that 'value' not the
        price and quality. So, if a NF saint is selling his produce with the modest
        profits( i mean low price ), people will not believe in the first place,
        that it is good food.

        Any NFarmer who is able to produce enough to sell, WILL know that he has no
        ethical right to price his produce equal to or higher than conventional
        produce. But he need to put LOT of effort to explain to people why his
        produce is cheaper despite it being better in every aspect than the
        conventional produce. Probably until then, he can charge higher ( to
        satisfy himself ) because he will help that consumer fed on chemicals to
        avoid some trips to the doctor.

        Food is not a commodity or service. It is the RIGHT of every living
        creature. In fact it is LIFE. Please do not compare it with other excesses
        of life including clothing. Future is not going to be easy and rosy. Our
        loved conveniences of today are going to be the trouble makers of tomorrow.
        I read an article about a lady in japan ( or some eastern nation) who sells
        vegetables. She has earned lot of money by working in a market which closes
        at 2 pm, but she sells up to 8 pm. That money is used to help poor people
        who need expensive medical treatment. She started to do this (working from
        3 am to 8 pm), after she realized that there of not enough money to save
        the life of one of her family members. The only striking thing that I liked
        was when she says that she still sleeps on the cold bare floor, because if
        she sleeps on a mattress, she cannot get up at 3 am to start her days work
        due to the comfort. That is how she is living up to her ideals.

        In Telugu, there is saying : "Alu ledhu , choolu ledhu, koduku peru
        somalingam". It means: "There is not wife yet, she is not pregnant yet, but
        it is decided to name the son 'Somalingam'". Let the practicing NFarmers
        grow food that satisfies their needs first and then go beyond.

        Best Regards
        Yugandhar

      • Boovarahan Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
          Yugi !

          Nice write up .

          Let's not bother about what others might say or think. Let's be honest to
          our conscience .
          While NFs like others require some other things than food , which have to
          be bought by money , there is no harm in selling excess NF products for
          profit , but not exorbitantly priced . And Nf is just a part of broader
          perspective of understanding life and nature. The thought which occurred to
          Fukuoka on his Satori was " Nature is perfect in all respects and there is
          nothing to be done to improve it " . Once our minds tread the path of money
          and material comforts , we start to deviate from nature . That's how
          electric fans and aircons have taken precedence over simple hand made palm
          leaf fans and just enjoying natural breeze.

          My view is we can not change the world but we can change ourselves. Most of
          our members may not agree but the hard fact is this. So many great people
          in all over the world have tried to do this but in vain. People who seek
          truth and nature have always been a minority and will continue to be. But
          those minority can have their doubts cleared by interaction / exchange of
          views from other members of similar purpose.

          Regards.

          On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

          > This may hurt a few.
          >
          > I think everyone is missing one point. Right now, we have a society which
          > is being 'educated' to believe by all means that 'Low price = Low quality'.
          > The consumer mindset must change. He must understand that 'value' not the
          > price and quality. So, if a NF saint is selling his produce with the modest
          > profits( i mean low price ), people will not believe in the first place,
          > that it is good food.
          >
          > Any NFarmer who is able to produce enough to sell, WILL know that he has no
          > ethical right to price his produce equal to or higher than conventional
          > produce. But he need to put LOT of effort to explain to people why his
          > produce is cheaper despite it being better in every aspect than the
          > conventional produce. Probably until then, he can charge higher ( to
          > satisfy himself ) because he will help that consumer fed on chemicals to
          > avoid some trips to the doctor.
          >
          > Food is not a commodity or service. It is the RIGHT of every living
          > creature. In fact it is LIFE. Please do not compare it with other excesses
          > of life including clothing. Future is not going to be easy and rosy. Our
          > loved conveniences of today are going to be the trouble makers of tomorrow.
          > I read an article about a lady in japan ( or some eastern nation) who sells
          > vegetables. She has earned lot of money by working in a market which closes
          > at 2 pm, but she sells up to 8 pm. That money is used to help poor people
          > who need expensive medical treatment. She started to do this (working from
          > 3 am to 8 pm), after she realized that there of not enough money to save
          > the life of one of her family members. The only striking thing that I liked
          > was when she says that she still sleeps on the cold bare floor, because if
          > she sleeps on a mattress, she cannot get up at 3 am to start her days work
          > due to the comfort. That is how she is living up to her ideals.
          >
          > In Telugu, there is saying : "Alu ledhu , choolu ledhu, koduku peru
          > somalingam". It means: "There is not wife yet, she is not pregnant yet, but
          > it is decided to name the son 'Somalingam'". Let the practicing NFarmers
          > grow food that satisfies their needs first and then go beyond.
          >
          > Best Regards
          > Yugandhar

          Boovarahan S
          Chennai.
          09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

        • Harish Amur
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
            "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."

            You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
            influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
            reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.

            "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
            exorbitantly priced ."

            I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
            opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
            sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
            which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
            price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
            money.

            Regards,
            Harish

            On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

            > Please do not compare it with other excesses
            > of life including clothing.

          • Yugandhar S
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
              Harish ji,
              I was not at all referring to your writing about the price of clothing.
              In fact, what you wrote was correct. My intention was to say that food is
              the one and only 'MUST' requirement to sustain life for the vast majority
              of beings ( leaving aside spiritually evolved beings called yogis, saints,
              rishis etc who are believed to forgo even food for extremely long periods).

              I was talking to everyone who wrote earlier on this thread, not any single
              person.

              Best Regards
              Yugandhar

              On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."
              >
              > You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
              > influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
              > reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.
              >

              > "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
              > exorbitantly priced ."
              >
              > I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
              > opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
              > sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
              > which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
              > price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
              > money.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Harish
              >

              > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Please do not compare it with other excesses
              > > of life including clothing.

            • Raju Titus
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
                Dear friends,
                I am growing grain,vegetables ,fruits,milk for my family ,workers and
                for my friends, if excess send to market .And Share these things with
                severely ill cansor like patients. Seeds are also in demand. I am selling
                fire woods which is coming from my farm in abundance in half prize. What i
                want to say that growing in abundance is only possible in NF. Growing base
                must be first for ourselves than for market. For natural things i am not
                going in market consumers cumming to my farm.
                Community base agriculture which is suggested by Koshikji is also good
                way for natural farmers and non farming community which knows natural is
                better. Burden of marketing should be shared by consumers directly. Natural
                farmer always be happy in sharing things in lower prize with honer.
                We feel not good in sitting near by roads for sailing our precious
                things.
                Raju

                On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."
                >
                > You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
                > influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
                > reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.
                >

                > "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
                > exorbitantly priced ."
                >
                > I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
                > opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
                > sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
                > which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
                > price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
                > money.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Harish
                >

                > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Please do not compare it with other excesses
                > > of life including clothing.

                Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                +919179738049.
                http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                fukuoka_farming yahoogroup
                http://rishikheti.blogspot.com/

              • Ruthie Aquino
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
                  Thank you for the last line, dear Raju, Sir.
                  And for all the lines before it.

                  RUTHIE

                • Anant Joglekar
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2012
                    That's that,  The last line "We feel not good in sitting near by roads for sailing our precious things" is very important and one should engrave it on one's soul while LIVING NF.

                    anant joglekar
                    9423089706

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2012
                      Raju Sir,
                      Salutes to your wisdom. You hit the nail bang on!!!

                      Regards
                      Yugandhar

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 7, 2012
                        I have heard that in some organic farms ( not Nf ) , the farmers had no
                        difficulty in selling their produce. The affluent come in cars at the time
                        of harvest and take away the produce by giving cash . They are not
                        merchants or middlemen but they buy it for their own use.

                        Raju sir is definitely a yogi , that's why he sells the excess produce at
                        cheaper rates. I don't think everybody will follow him in the marketing
                        line but I am sure his methods are real eye opener for a good number of us.
                        Kudos to him and his noble mind.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2012
                          Dear friend,
                          This is not noble or yogi work this is a simple rule if you are getting
                          sufficient amount in simple and easy work of sailing things and your
                          product coming to you in less effort.Overall marketing in high prize is not
                          easy work. Only middle man can do this work not farmer.
                          Raju