Re: [fukuoka_farming] creating markets for NF

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
      I am excited to know different views but my basic question is this :

      Forget about our basic needs or luxuries.
      Let's assume there are two people , say adjacent farmers , each having the
      same area of farm. One practices NF and the other chemical farming. If they
      cultivate the same grain , say rice, and sell their excess produce at the
      same rate , whose profitability will be more ? I am quite sure that the Nf
      will give more money than chemical farming in such a case.

      Acquiring wealth for the sake of luxury is a different issue . In fact it
      is this mad race for quick money which helped chemical farming gain a foot
      hold and became an octopus. Once being drawn into this vicious cycle
      farmers find no way , no mental strength or determination rather, to come
      out of the clutches of chemical farming.

      Mr Karikalan sells his NF rice at Rs. 80/= per kilo while the chemically
      grown superfine rice is available at Rs. 40/= per kilo in the open market.
      Since there are just a few natural farmers , he is able to get such an
      income. If natural farmers become the majority ( at least in future ) , I
      don't think their produce will get such a high price since there will be
      abundant supply of grains grown through NF. In such a case the prices will
      definitely nosedive.

      My point is not against NFs gain more money but my idea is to sell produce
      of NF at a lower rate since it is economically viable, and give produce of
      chemical farming a tough fight , making people consume healthy grains of NF
      and popularise NF and edge out chemical farming in the long run.

      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
        Here is the link of a couple who had left their job and lives from income from farming. They don't do natural farming, but organic farming, kids are home schooled etc..

        http://jaindarpan.com/Ebooks/Ebooks_Word/Two_Thoreaus_Of_Sakwa_County.doc

        another report of the same couple in

        http://ananthoosupdates.blogspot.in/search/label/interesting%20folks - under the heading Extra ordinary couple

        Regards,
        Nandan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2012
          This may hurt a few.

          I think everyone is missing one point. Right now, we have a society which
          is being 'educated' to believe by all means that 'Low price = Low quality'.
          The consumer mindset must change. He must understand that 'value' not the
          price and quality. So, if a NF saint is selling his produce with the modest
          profits( i mean low price ), people will not believe in the first place,
          that it is good food.

          Any NFarmer who is able to produce enough to sell, WILL know that he has no
          ethical right to price his produce equal to or higher than conventional
          produce. But he need to put LOT of effort to explain to people why his
          produce is cheaper despite it being better in every aspect than the
          conventional produce. Probably until then, he can charge higher ( to
          satisfy himself ) because he will help that consumer fed on chemicals to
          avoid some trips to the doctor.

          Food is not a commodity or service. It is the RIGHT of every living
          creature. In fact it is LIFE. Please do not compare it with other excesses
          of life including clothing. Future is not going to be easy and rosy. Our
          loved conveniences of today are going to be the trouble makers of tomorrow.
          I read an article about a lady in japan ( or some eastern nation) who sells
          vegetables. She has earned lot of money by working in a market which closes
          at 2 pm, but she sells up to 8 pm. That money is used to help poor people
          who need expensive medical treatment. She started to do this (working from
          3 am to 8 pm), after she realized that there of not enough money to save
          the life of one of her family members. The only striking thing that I liked
          was when she says that she still sleeps on the cold bare floor, because if
          she sleeps on a mattress, she cannot get up at 3 am to start her days work
          due to the comfort. That is how she is living up to her ideals.

          In Telugu, there is saying : "Alu ledhu , choolu ledhu, koduku peru
          somalingam". It means: "There is not wife yet, she is not pregnant yet, but
          it is decided to name the son 'Somalingam'". Let the practicing NFarmers
          grow food that satisfies their needs first and then go beyond.

          Best Regards
          Yugandhar

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
            Yugi !

            Nice write up .

            Let's not bother about what others might say or think. Let's be honest to
            our conscience .
            While NFs like others require some other things than food , which have to
            be bought by money , there is no harm in selling excess NF products for
            profit , but not exorbitantly priced . And Nf is just a part of broader
            perspective of understanding life and nature. The thought which occurred to
            Fukuoka on his Satori was " Nature is perfect in all respects and there is
            nothing to be done to improve it " . Once our minds tread the path of money
            and material comforts , we start to deviate from nature . That's how
            electric fans and aircons have taken precedence over simple hand made palm
            leaf fans and just enjoying natural breeze.

            My view is we can not change the world but we can change ourselves. Most of
            our members may not agree but the hard fact is this. So many great people
            in all over the world have tried to do this but in vain. People who seek
            truth and nature have always been a minority and will continue to be. But
            those minority can have their doubts cleared by interaction / exchange of
            views from other members of similar purpose.

            Regards.

            On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

            > This may hurt a few.
            >
            > I think everyone is missing one point. Right now, we have a society which
            > is being 'educated' to believe by all means that 'Low price = Low quality'.
            > The consumer mindset must change. He must understand that 'value' not the
            > price and quality. So, if a NF saint is selling his produce with the modest
            > profits( i mean low price ), people will not believe in the first place,
            > that it is good food.
            >
            > Any NFarmer who is able to produce enough to sell, WILL know that he has no
            > ethical right to price his produce equal to or higher than conventional
            > produce. But he need to put LOT of effort to explain to people why his
            > produce is cheaper despite it being better in every aspect than the
            > conventional produce. Probably until then, he can charge higher ( to
            > satisfy himself ) because he will help that consumer fed on chemicals to
            > avoid some trips to the doctor.
            >
            > Food is not a commodity or service. It is the RIGHT of every living
            > creature. In fact it is LIFE. Please do not compare it with other excesses
            > of life including clothing. Future is not going to be easy and rosy. Our
            > loved conveniences of today are going to be the trouble makers of tomorrow.
            > I read an article about a lady in japan ( or some eastern nation) who sells
            > vegetables. She has earned lot of money by working in a market which closes
            > at 2 pm, but she sells up to 8 pm. That money is used to help poor people
            > who need expensive medical treatment. She started to do this (working from
            > 3 am to 8 pm), after she realized that there of not enough money to save
            > the life of one of her family members. The only striking thing that I liked
            > was when she says that she still sleeps on the cold bare floor, because if
            > she sleeps on a mattress, she cannot get up at 3 am to start her days work
            > due to the comfort. That is how she is living up to her ideals.
            >
            > In Telugu, there is saying : "Alu ledhu , choolu ledhu, koduku peru
            > somalingam". It means: "There is not wife yet, she is not pregnant yet, but
            > it is decided to name the son 'Somalingam'". Let the practicing NFarmers
            > grow food that satisfies their needs first and then go beyond.
            >
            > Best Regards
            > Yugandhar

            Boovarahan S
            Chennai.
            09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
              "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."

              You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
              influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
              reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.

              "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
              exorbitantly priced ."

              I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
              opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
              sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
              which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
              price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
              money.

              Regards,
              Harish

              On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

              > Please do not compare it with other excesses
              > of life including clothing.

            • Yugandhar S
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
                Harish ji,
                I was not at all referring to your writing about the price of clothing.
                In fact, what you wrote was correct. My intention was to say that food is
                the one and only 'MUST' requirement to sustain life for the vast majority
                of beings ( leaving aside spiritually evolved beings called yogis, saints,
                rishis etc who are believed to forgo even food for extremely long periods).

                I was talking to everyone who wrote earlier on this thread, not any single
                person.

                Best Regards
                Yugandhar

                On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."
                >
                > You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
                > influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
                > reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.
                >

                > "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
                > exorbitantly priced ."
                >
                > I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
                > opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
                > sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
                > which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
                > price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
                > money.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Harish
                >

                > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Please do not compare it with other excesses
                > > of life including clothing.

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
                  Dear friends,
                  I am growing grain,vegetables ,fruits,milk for my family ,workers and
                  for my friends, if excess send to market .And Share these things with
                  severely ill cansor like patients. Seeds are also in demand. I am selling
                  fire woods which is coming from my farm in abundance in half prize. What i
                  want to say that growing in abundance is only possible in NF. Growing base
                  must be first for ourselves than for market. For natural things i am not
                  going in market consumers cumming to my farm.
                  Community base agriculture which is suggested by Koshikji is also good
                  way for natural farmers and non farming community which knows natural is
                  better. Burden of marketing should be shared by consumers directly. Natural
                  farmer always be happy in sharing things in lower prize with honer.
                  We feel not good in sitting near by roads for sailing our precious
                  things.
                  Raju

                  On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > "Please do not compare it with other excesses of life including clothing."
                  >
                  > You misunderstood me. I was trying to tell you that when you are not
                  > influenced by the market forces, many basic things can also be sold at a
                  > reasonable price. And I gave example of clothing too.
                  >

                  > "there is no harm in selling excess NF products for profit , but not
                  > exorbitantly priced ."
                  >
                  > I am not sure if this line is challenging any of my writing, but here is my
                  > opinion. I never said that NF produce should be sold at 'no-profit'. When I
                  > sold my jaggery at the market price, I did make around Rs. 20 per kilo,
                  > which is quite good. However I could have sold it at double the market
                  > price, as the organic produce sells, I could have made much much more
                  > money.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Harish
                  >

                  > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Please do not compare it with other excesses
                  > > of life including clothing.

                  Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                  +919179738049.
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                  fukuoka_farming yahoogroup
                  http://rishikheti.blogspot.com/

                • Ruthie Aquino
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 5, 2012
                    Thank you for the last line, dear Raju, Sir.
                    And for all the lines before it.

                    RUTHIE

                  • Anant Joglekar
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2012
                      That's that,  The last line "We feel not good in sitting near by roads for sailing our precious things" is very important and one should engrave it on one's soul while LIVING NF.

                      anant joglekar
                      9423089706

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 6, 2012
                        Raju Sir,
                        Salutes to your wisdom. You hit the nail bang on!!!

                        Regards
                        Yugandhar

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2012
                          I have heard that in some organic farms ( not Nf ) , the farmers had no
                          difficulty in selling their produce. The affluent come in cars at the time
                          of harvest and take away the produce by giving cash . They are not
                          merchants or middlemen but they buy it for their own use.

                          Raju sir is definitely a yogi , that's why he sells the excess produce at
                          cheaper rates. I don't think everybody will follow him in the marketing
                          line but I am sure his methods are real eye opener for a good number of us.
                          Kudos to him and his noble mind.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 7, 2012
                            Dear friend,
                            This is not noble or yogi work this is a simple rule if you are getting
                            sufficient amount in simple and easy work of sailing things and your
                            product coming to you in less effort.Overall marketing in high prize is not
                            easy work. Only middle man can do this work not farmer.
                            Raju