Re: [fukuoka_farming] ' "Do-nothing" against nature' Re: Fukuoka Masanobu

  • Steve Grannis
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
      Jason,
              I would be very interested in this;
      --his authored many many newspaper articles and the newspaper
      column, farming advice, he wrote for many years in the Ehime Shimbun
      newspaper,
              Is there a way to access this material either through print or web preferably in Ehglish? Thanks,  Steve G.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2011
        Dear Steve Grannis, and all,

        I've got some more research to do on that subject, before i can explain all, and answer all at once, all the points and history about it, that i would like to say, to cover it comprehensively, in a message about it to this group. Unfortunately this afternoon, one of the starting points for explanation, i need to re-find, as i didn't find it this afternoon in the location in the document i thought it was---it is elsewhere. So, to be continued... . And as always i'm busy.

        Meanwhile Steve, have you seen dodgy--pedia's editor's attempts at encyclopaedically writing up late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's term "do--nothing", in Chinese it is written 無爲 -- in Pinyin Chinese wúwéi,
        in his Japanese written: 無為 (mu i – pronounced moo i (like short ee sound))
        --see the fun learner's song, children i know here in Australia love this fun song: → http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zxuy6eojZY

        here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei

        This recent editor of dodgy--pedia's addition, of this re--quoted story below, is quite a good start of the idiom intended,
        Wikipedia quotation:
        "
        Idea: A man has a horse to work the fields and the horse runs away one day. The man's son becomes very anxious and worried that they will not be able to work the fields without the horse. The father says do nothing (wu wei)this may be a blessing. A few days later the horse returns with a group of horses. The father and son are very happy because of their luck and now have many horses to work the fields. Since they have so many horses the son is now able to ride a new horse daily. His father warns him not to take so much pride and to stop riding the horses, but the son ignores him. One day the son falls from the horse that he was riding and breaks both of his legs. All the neighbors come to tell the father this is terrible luck as his son will be unable to help in the fields. The wise father tells his neighbors, do nothing (wu wei) this may be a blessing. A few weeks later war breaks out in the region and all the young men are taken off to fight in the war. Many of the boys die; however, the son who has broken his legs is unable to leave and fight and his life was spared.
        "

        To everyone applicable, no necessarily you Steve,
        if you are a very serious or 'born again' Christian person, then as i did with such a friend of mine yesterday,
        read this good story above with the phrase "God's plan" instead of wúwéi --as the Christian--idiomatic translation of wúwéi, of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei' "do--nothing"!

        'best true nature' with all,

        Jason Stewart san.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2011
          Dear Jason and all,
                                         Thank you for the further refinement of "do-nothing". I have always been uncomfortable with the "do-nothing" translation. Wu wei fits the idea but we are still left without a suitable word in english unless we venture into the religious or spiritual realms as you imply. The story speaks to me of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching. The american inventer Buckminster Fuller coined the expression "spaceship Earth" . He said there was no operation manual for the planet. The Tao Te Ching is the closest thing we have for an operation manual for the planet. The idea of non-action yet alert awareness brings me close to the natural farming of Fukuoka. This subject could be discussed endlessly. Thank you for the great story.Steve G.