Re: [fukuoka_farming] Philippines

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
      Thanks dear Ruthieさん

      A fine message of further natural introduction of your homeland and yourself.

      Later, when i have some spare time,
      i have more references to add from late sensei Fukuoka Masanobu himself writing about:
      the Philippines, about Mrs. Aveliw's nature farm there.

      (I hope you have Japanese working now, Ruthie---this message has Unicode UTF-8 text encoding of Japanese, as well as English, characters.)

      Writing in his English translation very limited edition self-published, meaning printed less than 100 copies for gifts, but not really a published book:
      (Below first comes the original Japanese book, from which it was translated:)

      * 1992 (Japanese)
      ..わら一本の革命・総括編「神と自然と人の革命」 (wara ippon no kakumei・sōkatsuhen「kami to shizen to hito no kakumei」)
      ..Title, a literal translation by me: [Straw: One--Strand's Revolution・Recapitulation 'Universal God/Spirit and Spontaneity/Nature and Humanity Revolution']
      ..Self-published in 1992 Dec. by 自然樹園 (小心舎) (Shizen Juen (Shou Shin Sha), One of Fukuoka Masanobu's own self--publishing publisher--names)
      ..230p 26×27cm,
      ..out of print ISBN 978-4-938743-01-7.

      .....* 1996 (English) very limited edition self published translation:
      ......."The Ultimatium [sic]..." this should read as ...Ultimatum..., so therefore i change it to that:
      ......."The Ultimatum of God Nature: The One-Straw Revolution: A Recapitulation"
      .......--He, himself, commissioned English--retranslation and printing in this very limited edition, less than 100 copies.
      .......Of course no ISBN.
      .......Printed by the author hence the publisher name is, quote: "S h o u S h i n S h a (小心舎)".

      His Japanese later complete revision, 2001 (& 2010), of that above book says in a caption in the Philippines 1998 section:

      マグサイ農園のアベリュー夫人 アキノ大統の片腕となる婦人

      My word--for--word literal translation attempt, of that caption:
      マグサイ = Magsay[say (re: the family of or the property originally of Magsaysay that the award was named after)]
      農園 = farm/garden/small farm/plantation
      の = 's
      アベリュー = Aveliew (spelling? Ruthie please can you help all with the correct spelling of this Philippino person's name?)
      夫人 = wife/eg. Mrs.

      アキノ = Aquino
      大統 = President
      の = 's
      片腕 = right-hand-man
      となる = amounting to
      婦人 = lady

      Literal translation something along the lines of:

      Magsaysay farm (person)'s (wife) Mrs. Aviliew -- The lady of (the man), amounting to the right--hand--man of President Aquino.

      Mrs. Aviliew: --the spelling? Ruthie, please can you help all with the correct spelling of this Philippino (official?) person's name?

      'best true nature' with all,

      Jason Stewartさん

      On 09/12/2011, at 6:40 PM, Ruthie Aquino wrote:

      [all snipped for ease of reading, refer to Ruthie's fine original message]

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
        Hi Jason,

        I would be more than willing to be of any assistance to spread
        Fukuoka-san's thoughts.
        Firstly if you have the English translation of that limited edition would
        it be possible to share a scanned copy?
        Secondly Fukuoka-san was given the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1988 in the
        Philippines.
        Wikipedia lists the recipients of the award and if you click on Masanobu
        Fukuoka there is a longish entry on him there. There are Indians there,
        too.
        Thirdly the name you mention may be mispelled, would it be Abelio, Avelio,
        Abreu, Aurelio...? I cannot find any correspondence. There were two
        Philippine presidents named Aquino, first the mother and the present one is
        the son. Which one are we talking about in your query, I suppose the first
        one? I need more clues, Sherlock Holmes of natural farming.

        best
        RUTHIE

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
          Dear Ruthie,

          Are you the "Sherlock Holmes of natural farming"? <smile>
          i'm trying, sometimes obviously in vain with no expressions of interest, to disseminate the most appropriate and beneficial 'stuff'.

          Late sensei Fukuoka Masanobu shares photographs of and writes that, he went back to Philippines in 1998, ten years later (after the 1988 Ramon Magsaysay award).

          Mrs. Aveliw, a brief quotation from the very limited edition English translation:
          "
          ... the natural farm of Miss MS. Aveliw, a woman working for the Magsaysay Foundation in the Philippines. She read my book, did research for ten years, and completed the farm in four years. She has truly created a paradise, where beneath an assortment of fruit trees such as banana, papaya, guava, and durian. there is a dense growth of coffee trees and green manure, orchids are blooming in profusion, and fish are swimming in ponds.
          "

          Please, Ruthie, it would help if you can dig and/or enquire further, to clarify the correct spelling of the name of : "Mrs. Aveliw", Philippines, lady of man who amounted to the right--hand--man of President Aquino, around 1998 (i suppose). I guess the Ramon Magsaysay foundation would help with an enquiry from you, if you can't dig it up online. (i wish i had time to do everything but i don't of course.)

          In the previous email, the photograph caption i quoted and translated the Japanese from, is under the heading for his *1998* Philippines visit.
          So, as long as there's no error in that book page, i presume there's no error,
          then the President Aquino he means may, may be the Aquino of or near that 1998 time.
          It's funny, but in that books *1988* Philippines visit section the photographs of late sensei Fukuoka Masanobu and his wife Ayako, look very similar to the 1998 photos, hence i wonder if any publisher--copyeditor errors crept in, i presume no errors!

          Just in case of any confusion, the original 1992 Japanese edition was not a limited edition, only the very limited English translation printing, not published edition, less than 100 copies total was a very limited edition.
          The very limited English translation printing, is only the text translated, none of the diagrams, and none of the photographs, at all included; Intended as a translation only, for together with the original Japanese full book (1992) version---as if like an English translation appendix.

          So Ruthie, for late sensei Fukuoka Masanobu's more than 950 photographs, many diagrams, calligraphy and paintings, reproductions, and his Japanese original text,

          you would i think love and should obtain this publicly available book: ...,
          from the publisher here, via Amazon Japan or other suitable (Japanese) retailer, or ordering via a Japanese bookshop or big bookshop, there in France:

          -> http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/detail/isbn/978-4-393-74151-1/

          2010 [2001] (Japanese)
          わら一本の革命 総括編 —粘土団子の旅—
          (transliteration of the above Japanese:) wara ippon no kakumei sōkatsuhen —nendo dango no tabi—
          (literal translation of the above Japanese:) [Straw: One--Strand's Revolution: Recapitulation ---Clay seed--pellet's journey [around Earth]---])
          Originally in 2001 May, self-published by him, in the name: 自然樹園 (小心舎) (Shizen Juen (Shou Shin Sha)) –one of his own self-publishing-publisher-names
          More than 950 captioned photographs from his travels all around Earth and his farm, many reproduced drawings and diagrams, and a full book of text pages also
          271p A4 30x21cm (?out of print? (--i presume so))
          ISBN 978-4-938743-02-4
          Re-published in 2010 April by Shunjūsha (春秋社) (major Japanese publisher)
          272p A4
          in print
          ISBN 978-4-393-74151-1
          → http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/detail/isbn/978-4-393-74151-1/

          See also these Shunjusha pages of his additional Japanese books:
          Searching Fukuoka Masanobu: → http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/search_result.php?keyword=%CA%A1%B2%AC%C0%B5%BF%AE&page=1
          Writer page for Fukuoka Masanobu: → http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/writer/26453/
          Series page for his books (as a series): → http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/series/24/
          Home page: → http://www.shunjusha.co.jp/

          Thanks, i know all about the Wikipedia page, and the contents of it, and the sources of that contents, ... . The page needs a helluva lot of work on the accuracy of its contents meanings---dodgy-pedia strikes again (an idiomatic English joke).

          'best true nature' with all,

          Jason Stewartさん