One more over

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2011
      Hi All !

      My one more attempt of raising rice crops ended in total failure.
      This time I expected it somewhat.
      The transplanting should have been done in the second week of October but
      was delayed to November first week.
      Subsequently the young saplings died /were washed off in heavy rains.
      This could not be avoided due to logistical problems.

      But I have not left the race.
      Now I have asked my friend to transplant new saplings in untilled land
      after tamping by foot the already grown grass at the time of transplanting.
      Let us see how it transpires.

      --
      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2011
        Boovarahan,

        This happens, but keep going..
        Even though using machinery is not in line with natural farming, I am using a Honda brush cutter to cut the grass..When it is very low height grasses, cutting them is very difficult, but with cutter it is quite easy to clear it ..it is quite fast..

        Also see if you can use the dibbling stick to transplant the saplings..have to make sure that hole is not very deep, this can be done by adjusting (by cutting) the length of the sharp end. This way soil disturbance will be minimum and work can be completed quite fast. Also make sure that the distance between saplings is close as used by conventional farmers, otherwise grass will get more chance to come through. If possible, sow some horse gram provided if you have provision to let water in if they interfere with rice.

        Please not - I haven't mastered any of this, but trying it out.

        Regards,

        Nandan
        www.farming-experiments.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2011
          Thanks Nandan , for your encouraging words.

          I have asked my friend to plant saplings closely on wet field after using
          the bullock drawn puddler to trample the grass in wet field.
          Hope this work would be finished within a couple of days.
          I intend to make a trip on this Sunday to see what is happening in my field.
          I'll post the developments then.

          Thanks.