Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Ruth

  • Justin .
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2002
      Well, I wasn't there for long, so I haven't got much to report, and
      remember that I'm new to all this. Aside from that: it seems that most of
      the permaculture people are into forest gardens. For example, if they have
      enough land there might be one or more parts turned into forest gardens. But
      not all. Robert Hart was an Englishman, so he is popular here. I gather that
      even he kept some land for the sun-loving plants - I don't think you get
      much vegetables from a forest garden alone. There was a woman there who had
      been a friend of Robert's, and had his library there for people to see,
      which had been left to her. She says the people now on Robert's land are not
      friendly and the garden is left to become what it may - another unfortunate
      end.
      One woman told me that some of the fruits from a forest garden taste
      horrible! I would guess that it might be a case of educating the palate, and
      perhaps digging up old traditional recipies for these long disused foods.
      I questioned one woman about whether permaculture people plough or not. She
      told me that they don't, which surprised me. I was under the impression that
      it was only a select few that are Fukuokian in that respect. But she says
      no, everyone tries not to plough, not to disturb the earth. I questioned,
      "they Never plough?" 'oh, well Sometimes!" It seems that they (well, I
      suppose the ones she knows) plough now and again, only when they "have to",
      whatever that means.
      But they are really cool people, and I think close to Fukouka. Perhaps I am
      wrong but it seems to me that Fukuoka was a little anti-Fukuoka? Didn't he
      speak out against their "mixing" of techniques, and how it should be totally
      "pure". But I think that these guys, for example, really try to learn from
      nature. They really try to observe what grows around them, and what is
      appropriate. I my feeling is that that is a key also for Fukuoka. They are
      also concerned with society, and how we interact. And how we live - what
      impact our lifestyle has on society and so on. So it is a whole
      philosophical thing too. Like Fukuoka says, we transform ourselves - another
      key.
      Guilds? I heard about some coppicers teaming together. Working forests
      sustainably sounds really very interesting to me. If I've got the guts I
      will cyle to see a guy called Ben Law (you'll find him on Amazon) to find
      out more about that. I suppose that is even more "natural" farming than even
      Fukuoka or Hart! Of course, coppicing doesn't work everywhere, but it is
      great here. Ah, another thing. A guy up in Scotland has a nice amount of
      land, and started doing this permaculture stuff. He also makes baskets and
      that sort of thing. At that time all those kind of craftsmen had to get
      there willow sent from Devon, right down in the south west of England. When
      he started planting willow on his land up in Scotland, the neighbors thought
      he was mad. They all know you can't grow willow up there!
      Now several other people also grow willow in Scotland.
      Well that's all I have to report.
      Justin.