Bt cotton fostering illegal child labour?

  • Q Farm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2011
      (THE TIMES OF INDIA) GANDHINAGAR: The commencement of the cotton season may again bring more prosperity to Gujarat's agrarian economy, which grew by 16.6 per cent last year. This feat was mainly because of increased cotton production, which touched 105 lakh bales last year - one-third of the country's cotton output. It was 78 lakh bales in the previous year. While farmers thrived, indications have emerged that this has happened at the heavy social cost of employing child labour in certain fields using the modern Bt cotton seeds.

      North Gujarat, whose cotton output has taken a big turn due to better irrigation facilities from Narmada and Sujalam Sufalam canals, has proved notorious. Plants producing Bt cotton seeds require children of low height for artificial pollination, leading to child labour. The National Commission for the Protection of Child Labour (NCPCR) first noted this in a study report two years ago, "Children Migrating for Work from Dungarpur district, Rajasthan, to Gujarat."

      Complete Article  = http://pakagri.blogspot.com/2011/09/bt-cotton-fostering-illegal-child.html

      Queue
      Q-Farms and Assoc / Pakistan
      My Blog / My Twitter / My Facebook / My Google+ / My Linkedin / My Yahoo