Re: [fukuoka_farming] Interview of Fukuoka - digging again cover crop topic

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2011
      Raju sir,

      Thanks for the info. It looks like this is the clover for wam climates, but one disadvantage compared to white clover is it doesn't reseed themselves. So keepin it in pending list..

      Here is some information sent by Ramesh from Hyderabad..So it looks like Fukuoka san himself has suggested some alternatives like - other varieties of clover, alfalfa, vetch or lupine..If anyone has experience with these, please get back.

      In the
      Chapter  "Farming Among the Weeds" of One straw revolution, he has suggested for alternative for white clover as mentioned as:
       "
      This way of farming has evolved according to the natural conditions of the
      Japanese islands, but I feel that natural farming could also be applied
      in other areas and to the raising of other indigenous crops. In areas
      where water is not so readily available, for example, upland rice or other grains such as buck- wheat, sorghum or millet might he
      grown. Instead of white clover, another variety of clover, alfalfa,
      vetch or lupine might prove a more suitable field cover. Natural farming takes a distinctive form in accordance with the unique conditions of
      the area in which it is
      applied

      Regards,

      Nandan