Re: [fukuoka_farming] Feathered friends, BARE GROUND, WEEDS & SLUGS

  • Don Graves
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16 9:35 PM
      Larry
      I agree re Chickens, BARE-GROUND... veges & weeds...
      GREEN PLANTS (weeds & crops) are mostly all 'yummy' green food to chickens
      or ducks

      I have previously surface-hoed a number of raised-bed rows & left leaf
      litter & crop stubble & roots on the soil surface as a mulch. We then used
      a 'chicken tractor' (chicken 'shed-sled'), steel wire cloche hoops, & mesh
      over raised seed beds prior to planting of flowering bulbs, garlic bulbs...
      & prior to seedling transplanting of spring lettuces, brassicas, carrots,
      basil
      & other tempting slug foods..
      We found that chickens scratching for food on such a caged raised bed do
      need supplementary feeding with wheat etc...
      It may not hurt things to leave a few plants in to see how well & where your
      chickens scratch holes ... & what parts of the plants they attack ... or
      leave
      Chickens eat worms that come too near the soil surface, ... but worms may
      escape below or sideways outside the chicken tractor fenced area,
      however...
      SLUGS & SNAIL are DONE FOR!.....
      With the effective use of a 'chicken tractor' .....PRIOR TO PLANTING INTO
      RAISED BEDS ...

      WHAT ABOUT CHICKENS AFTER PLANTING????
      But what do 'WE' (humans) call "WEEDS"????
      ... 'PLANTS IN THE WRONG PLACE'???....
      A VERY HUMAN-CENTRED VIEW EH??!!

      When in the process of uncovering & 'turning' a windrow compost heap,
      CHICKENS are also very good to have around to catch escaping MICE. A local
      community gardens CAT I once knew never got a 'look-in' on sharing mice
      meals with those feathered garden friends. A chicken is a quick & aggressive
      killer compared to a well fed cat that may play with it's quarry or 'food'.
      If you do by practice uprooting any plants they are all very acceptable
      "green food" to take to offer to chickens in their outside 'run' areas ...

      Ducks & geese are good for grazing around 'established-sized' trees &
      orchards

      regards
      Don