Feathered friends

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2002
      Hello all,

      Do any of you have experience letting chickens, ducks, geese or other
      feathered friends free-range over raised beds where vegetables, herbs,
      etc. are currently growing?

      In more than one place I have read that ducks, and to a lesser extent
      chickens, will "eat the weeds and leave the vegetables alone." No
      one ever says how a duck or chicken knows what is a weed and what
      is not, but from limited personal experience I think they eat anyting
      green and, to them, tasty. I suspect that newly sprouted vegetable
      or herb plants would be just what they would be after. Some of the
      photos that accompany articles about using chicken tractors show
      blocks of pasture that had just been "mowed" the day before by a
      bunch of chickens (or ducks). I suspect there are greenskeepers on
      many golf courses that wish they could get their very expensive equipment
      to "mow" as cleanly as those chickens seemed to do. I can't help
      but think that if you turned a bunch of chickens or ducks loose on
      a raised bed currently growing desireable plants you would end up
      with something approaching a barren putting green. Am I wrong? Any
      comments?

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka