Re: [fukuoka_farming] 2 links I would like to share on Farming with Natural ways

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
      Thanks for sharing.
      I have gained a lot of knowledge from such mails sent by our members.

      On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Tp India <tpindia@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I agree with your views Shriman Boovarahan but I found it a nice read
      > hence shared,thanks for your valued inputs.
      >

      > Boovarahan S

      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
        Hello Nandan

        Can you tell us more about your coconut farm please?
        What kind of coconut, how big the land, what ground cover, how old the
        trees, how much their production, what you do with the fruits, how and
        where you sell them?

        best regards
        RUTHIE

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
          Hi Ruthie,

          My farm is 9.25 acres and grown up coconut tree are there in around 4 acres,but not completely populated with trees. Coconut trees are local Kerala (one state of India) variety and trees are around 15 years old. Typically nuts are collected on every 2 months and one person buys it from me. He brings the workers and collect the nuts and it is given at a cost of 6-7 Indian rupees per nut. On an average 150 trees are harvested in every month.

          It has been 3 years since I bought the farm and I was just cutting and mulching the grass which grows very thick after the rain. All the leaves and coconut husks are also used for mulching. In a period of 3 years, trees have improved quite a lot and gets around 2000-2500 nuts in 2 months. I started growing sunhemp and velvet beans as ground cover, but it is established in small area. As an intercrop, I have banana, mango trees, a few other local fruit trees.

          Regards,

          Nandan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
            I think u r in Bangalore and your farm is in Kerala.
            How often do you visit your farm and what about the distance ?

            On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
              Hi Nandan,
              Do you just leave the dried leaves on the ground or do you sort of chop
              them up? They are so big.
              In the Philippines I have heard of the use of mycovam which is mycorrhiza
              (hope the spelling is right) inoculated in the soil in the quantity of a
              softdrink cap per tree, in a single application. Very old trees have been
              rejuvenated using the method. This might be an attempt at copying Nature
              in places where Nature can hardly help itself like when there is
              severely depleted soil and not much organic matter around.
              Thanks for sharing this info about your farm, it is interesting. I was
              also wondering if you could raise grazing animals like goats under your
              trees?

              best
              RUTHIE