Re: [fukuoka_farming] 2 links I would like to share on Farming with Natural ways

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
      Yes, it may be required only in initial year or initial years..But this initial period is crucial for NF farmers, so what strategy shall they use to make the land productive?

      With this in mind, I just glanced through The Natural way of farming - and it gives lot of details about how to start an orchard, rice paddy etc..Where there is description about direct burial of coarse organic matter deep in ground, then growing of different types of legumes etc..May be this is a very productive strategy and we need more examples of people religiously following Fukuoka san's method and results including the initial years !!

      So long way to go...even I don't have a complete leguminous ground cover in my coconut farm..

      Regards,

      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
        Thanks for sharing.
        I have gained a lot of knowledge from such mails sent by our members.

        On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Tp India <tpindia@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I agree with your views Shriman Boovarahan but I found it a nice read
        > hence shared,thanks for your valued inputs.
        >

        > Boovarahan S

        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
          Hello Nandan

          Can you tell us more about your coconut farm please?
          What kind of coconut, how big the land, what ground cover, how old the
          trees, how much their production, what you do with the fruits, how and
          where you sell them?

          best regards
          RUTHIE

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
            Hi Ruthie,

            My farm is 9.25 acres and grown up coconut tree are there in around 4 acres,but not completely populated with trees. Coconut trees are local Kerala (one state of India) variety and trees are around 15 years old. Typically nuts are collected on every 2 months and one person buys it from me. He brings the workers and collect the nuts and it is given at a cost of 6-7 Indian rupees per nut. On an average 150 trees are harvested in every month.

            It has been 3 years since I bought the farm and I was just cutting and mulching the grass which grows very thick after the rain. All the leaves and coconut husks are also used for mulching. In a period of 3 years, trees have improved quite a lot and gets around 2000-2500 nuts in 2 months. I started growing sunhemp and velvet beans as ground cover, but it is established in small area. As an intercrop, I have banana, mango trees, a few other local fruit trees.

            Regards,

            Nandan

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
              I think u r in Bangalore and your farm is in Kerala.
              How often do you visit your farm and what about the distance ?

              On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                Hi Nandan,
                Do you just leave the dried leaves on the ground or do you sort of chop
                them up? They are so big.
                In the Philippines I have heard of the use of mycovam which is mycorrhiza
                (hope the spelling is right) inoculated in the soil in the quantity of a
                softdrink cap per tree, in a single application. Very old trees have been
                rejuvenated using the method. This might be an attempt at copying Nature
                in places where Nature can hardly help itself like when there is
                severely depleted soil and not much organic matter around.
                Thanks for sharing this info about your farm, it is interesting. I was
                also wondering if you could raise grazing animals like goats under your
                trees?

                best
                RUTHIE