2 links I would like to share on Farming with Natural ways

  • Tp India
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
      If these shared earlier I am not aware of it but I liked it very much hence sharing.

      http://www.natuecofarmingscience.com/amrut_krush.pdf

      http://www.natuecocityfarming.blogspot.com/

    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
        It seems more labourious work and not NF. May be better suited for organic
        farming.
        The moment we think that we are intelligent enough to alter nature by
        artificial means , by chemical or organic means , is simply arrogance .

        That's what I understand in NF.
        Correct me if I am wrong.
        The Amrut Pani mentioned in this site differs from Shankar Deshpande's
        method which uses ghee ( clarified butter ) , a costly ingredient.
        All these organic farming methods rely on the cow dung and cow's urine of
        desi cow with some additional inputs like flour, ghee, honey, brown sugar
        etc.
        In Nf these are not necessary ( may be except in the initial year ).

        On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Tp India <tpindia@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > If these shared earlier I am not aware of it but I liked it very much
        > hence sharing.
        >
        > http://www.natuecofarmingscience.com/amrut_krush.pdf
        >
        > http://www.natuecocityfarming.blogspot.com/

        Boovarahan S
        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

      • Tp India
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
          I agree with your views Shriman Boovarahan but I found it a nice read hence shared,thanks for your valued inputs.

          ________________________________
          It seems more labourious work and not NF. May be better suited for organic
          farming.
          The moment we think that we are intelligent enough to alter nature by
          artificial means , by chemical or organic means , is simply arrogance .

          That's what I understand in NF.
          Correct me if I am wrong.
          The Amrut Pani mentioned in this site differs from Shankar Deshpande's
          method which uses ghee ( clarified butter ) , a costly ingredient.
          All these organic farming methods rely on the cow dung and cow's urine of
          desi cow with some additional inputs like flour, ghee, honey, brown sugar
          etc.
          In Nf these are not necessary ( may be except in the initial year ).

          On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Tp India <tpindia@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > If these shared earlier I am not aware of it but I liked it very much
          > hence sharing.
          >
          > http://www.natuecofarmingscience.com/amrut_krush.pdf
          >
          > http://www.natuecocityfarming.blogspot.com/

          Boovarahan S
          Chennai.
          09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              fukuoka_farming-digest@yahoogroups.com
              fukuoka_farming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
            Natueco farming science developed by Prof. Dhabholkar is great, but doing it in large scale is laborious.
            First link is in Hindi, please see the link below to learn about Natueco farming.

            http://www.natuecofarmingscience.com/what_is_nat.htm

            See the details on how to make nursery soil which is supposed to be having all qualities of forest soil and in 3 months.

            As per this, 10gm of all these seeds have to be sown per sq.ft an

            Grain-Rice, Jowhar, Bajra, Maiz, Wheat
            Ceral-Mung, Channa, Muth, Udid
            Oil seads - Groundnut, Till, Castor Mustard, Curdi
            Spices - Methi, Jira, Rai, Chilly, Mustard
            Vegetable, Tomatto, Bringal, Bean, Bitter Gaud
            Creeper- Cucumber, Red & Green Gaud, Turi, Galka
            Root plants –Turmeric, Ginger, Sweet potato, Tapioca
            Fibrous plants –Cotton, Ladyfinger, Ambadi
            Flowering plants –Marigold, Mogra, Jhui, Chameli,
            Herbal Plants-Tulsi, Satavari, Ardusi, kadukadiatu
            Long life trees-Subabul, Neem, Drumstick, Karanj, Mohua, Glericedia

            I was fascinated by the idea, but it looks like it can be used by city farmers. Please give the details of some person effectively using it for more than 1 acre and how long and what cost was involved in conversion.

            Even though this is Fukuoka farming list, I hope it is OK to discuss these things.

            Regards,

            Nandan

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
              Yes, it may be required only in initial year or initial years..But this initial period is crucial for NF farmers, so what strategy shall they use to make the land productive?

              With this in mind, I just glanced through The Natural way of farming - and it gives lot of details about how to start an orchard, rice paddy etc..Where there is description about direct burial of coarse organic matter deep in ground, then growing of different types of legumes etc..May be this is a very productive strategy and we need more examples of people religiously following Fukuoka san's method and results including the initial years !!

              So long way to go...even I don't have a complete leguminous ground cover in my coconut farm..

              Regards,

              Nandan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
                Thanks for sharing.
                I have gained a lot of knowledge from such mails sent by our members.

                On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Tp India <tpindia@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I agree with your views Shriman Boovarahan but I found it a nice read
                > hence shared,thanks for your valued inputs.
                >

                > Boovarahan S

                Chennai.
                09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              • Ruthie Aquino
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Hello Nandan

                  Can you tell us more about your coconut farm please?
                  What kind of coconut, how big the land, what ground cover, how old the
                  trees, how much their production, what you do with the fruits, how and
                  where you sell them?

                  best regards
                  RUTHIE

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
                    Hi Ruthie,

                    My farm is 9.25 acres and grown up coconut tree are there in around 4 acres,but not completely populated with trees. Coconut trees are local Kerala (one state of India) variety and trees are around 15 years old. Typically nuts are collected on every 2 months and one person buys it from me. He brings the workers and collect the nuts and it is given at a cost of 6-7 Indian rupees per nut. On an average 150 trees are harvested in every month.

                    It has been 3 years since I bought the farm and I was just cutting and mulching the grass which grows very thick after the rain. All the leaves and coconut husks are also used for mulching. In a period of 3 years, trees have improved quite a lot and gets around 2000-2500 nuts in 2 months. I started growing sunhemp and velvet beans as ground cover, but it is established in small area. As an intercrop, I have banana, mango trees, a few other local fruit trees.

                    Regards,

                    Nandan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
                      I think u r in Bangalore and your farm is in Kerala.
                      How often do you visit your farm and what about the distance ?

                      On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                        Hi Nandan,
                        Do you just leave the dried leaves on the ground or do you sort of chop
                        them up? They are so big.
                        In the Philippines I have heard of the use of mycovam which is mycorrhiza
                        (hope the spelling is right) inoculated in the soil in the quantity of a
                        softdrink cap per tree, in a single application. Very old trees have been
                        rejuvenated using the method. This might be an attempt at copying Nature
                        in places where Nature can hardly help itself like when there is
                        severely depleted soil and not much organic matter around.
                        Thanks for sharing this info about your farm, it is interesting. I was
                        also wondering if you could raise grazing animals like goats under your
                        trees?

                        best
                        RUTHIE