County looks for better way to compost carcasses

  • Q Farm
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      After two years of depositing dead animals at a local landfill, Fiscal Court is appealing to Kentucky State University to help find a better way to dispose of carcasses.

      The county has asked graduate students in KSU’s Masters of Environmental Studies to develop a project for a county animal compost program that is more efficient and environmentally friendly than the Benson Valley landfill.

      “At some point in time, the landfill might get to the point where they might not accept dead animals,” Judge-Executive Ted Collins said. “Composting large animals is more economical … and there’s more green initiative. We can reuse the soil.”

      Collins took magistrates to see animal composting in action at the University of Kentucky’s Animal Research Center in Woodford County.

      Wednesday was the bi-annual county road trip, during which magistrates and other officials look at roads in need of repair and other projects. The research farm was the first stop.

      “Very little to no odor at all,” Collins pointed out, as the magistrates gathered around the compost piles. “There’s no vultures flying, no coyotes digging around … there’s no odor to attract them.”

      Complete Article  = http://bit.ly/tUomJY

      Queue
      Q-Farms and Assoc / Pakistan
      My Blog / My Twitter / My Facebook / My Google+ / My Linkedin