natural plant protector

  • Rainwater Digest
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2011
      Has any body use Hyptis_suaveolens for protecting plants and paddy crop from insects and micro organism.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyptis_suaveolens

      I  use to this plants to protect my basil plant. I want to know more about other people experience.

      My late Grand father (who was a farmer) used the dried leaf and stems of Hyptis_suaveolens  for storing paddy crops (dhan धान ) in dried cow dung and mud covered bamboo basket (circular shaped).
      The bamboo basket was 2m wide and 1.5m height.

      In Tamilnadu & Karnataka the seeds of Hyptis_suaveolens are used in making incense sticks (agarbatti अगरबत्ती ) for using as mosquito repellant.

      http://www.malariajournal.com/content/7/1/152 - Curtis and others [31] recorded up to a ten fold reduction in mosquito biting close to smouldering Hyptis suaveolens;
      but there was not any reduction of mosquito biting in a hut with fresh H. suaveolens.
      Extracts of Ocimum plants have shown significant protection against the malaria vectors in different areas of Africa [16,19].
      List of ocium plant : http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/new/Ocimum.html

      http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-2009-1021.ch014

      In wikipedia - there is hardly any information about it (Hyptis_suaveolens)

      Thanks
      Asit

      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
      Let God handle the rest.

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2011
        The logic, I believe, is that the extract of any plant which animals don't eat can be used as an organic insecticide.
        see these videos which have been made in India for tribals. Here they talk of dash-parni (meaning ten leaf) extract insecticide which is used for organic farming

        MPSM organic farming techniques http://vimeo.com/30270566

        MPSM care of farm animals

        Soil and water conservation techniques in rural India

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        >________________________________

      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2011
          Asit,
          I cannot give you info on tropical plants because I live in a temperate
          place.
          However there are some mechanical means of insect control, like powdering
          your plants with fine soil.
          The soil gets into the insects' joints and by mechanical irritation weakens
          or kills them.
          Personally I use the fine ash of incense sticks for my aphid-infested indoor
          plants.
          That is for backyard gardens like mine. I do not know how to do that on
          hectares of paddy.
          best
          RUTHIE