food and climate change

  • SteveG
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
      To all,
      Some good info if you follow the link to the complete article. Steve G.

      Subject: [New from GRAIN] Food and climate change: The forgotten link

      New from GRAIN | 28 September 2011

      Food and climate change: The forgotten link

      Food is a key driver of climate change. How our food gets produced and how it ends up on our tables accounts for around half of all human-generated greenhouse gas emissions. Chemical fertilizers, heavy machinery and other petroleum-dependant farm technologies contribute significantly. The impact of the food industry as a whole is even greater: destroying forests and savannahs to produce animal feed and generating climate-damaging waste through excess packaging, processing, refrigeration and the transport of food over long distances, despite leaving millions of people hungry.

      A new food system could be a key driver of solutions to climate change. People around the world are involved in struggles to defend or create ways of growing and sharing food that are healthier for their communities and for the planet. If measures are taken to restructure agriculture and the larger food system around food sovereignty, small scale farming, agro-ecology and local markets, we could cut global emissions in half within a few decades. We don't need carbon markets or techno-fixes. We need the right policies and programmes to dump the current industrial food system and create a sustainable, equitable and truly productive one instead.

      Read this new issue of Against the grain in English here: http://www.grain.org/e/4357

      Join New from GRAIN and receive occasional announcements of new GRAIN publications and other developments

      Visit GRAIN's website at http://www.grain.org
    • Steve Grannis
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
        just checking to see if this goes to spam again