Re: [fukuoka_farming] Aerobic Rice developed by UAS Karnataka

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
      I think they are just trying to hijack Fukuoka's ideas by enumerating benefits of natural farming

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      >________________________________

    • ,*रंजू*,
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
        There seems to be two different websites for the same purpose , one
        mentioning who the funding partner is:

        http://www.aerobicrice.in/

        http://www.aerobicrice.org/

        On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I think they are just trying to hijack Fukuoka's ideas by enumerating
        > benefits of natural farming
        >
        > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
        >
        > Warm regards,
        >
        > Sumant Joshi
        > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
        >
        > >________________________________

        Regards

        Ranju

      • Boovarahan Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
          And what about the long term effects of those specific , engineered rice
          varieties ?
          The scientific community definitely knows that nature has the last laugh in
          providing consistent good yields but their ego and arrogance prevent them
          from accepting this fact.

          In NF we can use any kind of native rice varieties whereas this aerobic
          method needs specifically engineered rice varieties.

          We are yet to know more details and any comments before getting such details
          shall be premature.

          On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I think they are just trying to hijack Fukuoka's ideas by enumerating
          > benefits of natural farming
          >
          > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
          >
          > Warm regards,
          >
          > Sumant Joshi
          > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
          >
          > >________________________________

          Boovarahan S
          Chennai.
          09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

        • Sumant Joshi
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
            Well it sure looks like NF which is why I said "I think"

            Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

            Warm regards,

            Sumant Joshi
            Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

            >________________________________

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
              Hi Ranju,

              Thanks for this interesting info.

              The method of cultivation does not look like NF, on seeing the ground, it looks to be cultivated. It is a hybrid from BUDDA and IR64 (IRRI - Philipines)..Does this hybrids loose these properties gradually? I remember Fukuoka san also had developed happy hill rice variety? Is this also called as hybrid?
              Also there are many traditional varieties available, how is these produced? Is it different from the current hybrids?

              Not much basics on hybrids, some one can elaborate?

              Regards,

              Nandan

              ________________________________
              There seems to be two different websites for the same purpose , one
              mentioning who the funding partner is:

              http://www.aerobicrice.in/

              http://www.aerobicrice.org/

              On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I think they are just trying to hijack Fukuoka's ideas by enumerating
              > benefits of natural farming
              >
              > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
              >
              > Warm regards,
              >
              > Sumant Joshi
              > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
              >
              > >________________________________

              Regards

              Ranju

            • Boovarahan Srinivasan
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 20, 2011
                See this link on aerobic rice.

                http://irri.org/our-science/aerobic-rice/frequently-asked-questions

                It is NOT NF.

                Boovarahan S
                Chennai.
                09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              • Jason Wicker
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                  Still great steps in the right direction.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                    Some excerpts:

                    "
                    Aerobic rice is targeted at more favorable environments where farmers can
                    afford to buy external inputs such as fertilizers

                    An aerobic rice crop attaining 4-6 t ha-1 yields obtains many of its
                    required nutrients from the soil. But this "indigenous supply" of nutrients
                    is typically not sufficient to meet all the nutrient requirements, and
                    fertilizers will have to be applied.

                    The site-specific nutrient management
                    (SSNM)<http://irri.org/our-science/crop-environment/site-specific-nutrient-management>
                    approach
                    can be used to determine the need for supplemental nutrients in the form of
                    fertilizers and to achieve optimal management of fertilizers. A useful tool
                    to assist in the application of N fertilizer is the Leaf Color Chart (LCC).
                    In the absence of trained extension personnel on SSNM and LCC, an amount of
                    70-90 kg N ha-1 could be a useful starting point (to be subsequently
                    optimized)."

                    Except for non tilling and mulching , there is nothing in common with NF .