Re: [fukuoka_farming] Updates

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
      I don't consider weeds decrease the grain production.
      In June me and other farmers planted sugarcane . While they ploughed and
      applied fertilizers and weeded , I did nothing but all lost the crops due to
      unseasonal planting . It is their misconception that weeds take away the
      nutrients from the crops making them give lesser produce . I think nature
      provides enough nutrients to all plants , grains or weeds.

      What Fukuoka said is an one time affair. But what people do is recurring in
      nature.

      On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...
      > wrote:

      > **
      >

      > If you are a farmer and depends for your food from farming, then you may do
      > weeding !!! I think there is no problem in doing that since even Fukuoka san
      > suggested that initial weeding, composting may be necessary, but it should
      > be reduced gradually when the land improves. Most of us, directly jump into
      > pure natural farming, one reason being even if there is crop loss, we can
      > afford it.
      >
      > Fukuoka san also suggested shallow-tillage direct-seeding for rice and
      > later switching to no-tillage (Please see page 147 of natural farming -
      > online book).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan

      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
        Boovarahan,

        My observation contradicts this..when there are strong weeds around, growth of plants is less and also for rice, weeds blocks sunlights also and they don't grow at all. My thinking was that after weeding once and if rice is given an upper hand, then things should be OK. But to my surprise weeds again had grown faster than rice and completely surrounded them. In some area, I kept on weeding and after some time, when the rice plant had reached sufficient height, it was fine. So for reasonable yield, we should replace weeds with legume cover crops and also our crop should crowd out weeds.

        This may be different for sugar cane since they grow tall

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
          I do agree !

          Growth of grass surpasses that of paddy and in the initial stages we have to
          weed out, but this is to ensure enough sunlight available to paddy . But
          farmers don't consider this but they think the nutrients available to paddy
          are consumed by weeds . In NF we consider that plants get most of the needs
          from sunlight and water vapour whereas the general opinion of the farmers is
          that plants get their needs mostly from soil and water .

          I have also witnessed the enormous growth of grass dwarfing paddy . So long
          as we don't provide enough vegetative cover to arrest the growth of grass ,
          this will be a perennial problem.

          My point is how farmers view weeds and how we NFs differ from them.