Re: [fukuoka_farming] Updates

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
      Hi Nishad,

      I have never heard any one using Alfalfa and clover in Kerala. I also searched for clover, but it looks like it grows only in cold climates. From the descriptions, it looked to be the best cover crop, since it reseeds well and also grows like a carpet and does not grow tall.

      I had some issues with cow pea in germination and establishing it, so using sun-hemp for the time being, but next time, I would like to again try cow-pea since it has some food value also.

      For rice, I am still looking for a correct legume which I can mix it with rice and sow. Some suggestion was there to use methi, but it was not establishing well here. As of now I am planning to use horse gram.

      Why don't you introduce and brief about your farming activities.

      Regards,
      Nandan
      http://www.farming-experiments.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
        I don't consider weeds decrease the grain production.
        In June me and other farmers planted sugarcane . While they ploughed and
        applied fertilizers and weeded , I did nothing but all lost the crops due to
        unseasonal planting . It is their misconception that weeds take away the
        nutrients from the crops making them give lesser produce . I think nature
        provides enough nutrients to all plants , grains or weeds.

        What Fukuoka said is an one time affair. But what people do is recurring in
        nature.

        On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
          Boovarahan,

          My observation contradicts this..when there are strong weeds around, growth of plants is less and also for rice, weeds blocks sunlights also and they don't grow at all. My thinking was that after weeding once and if rice is given an upper hand, then things should be OK. But to my surprise weeds again had grown faster than rice and completely surrounded them. In some area, I kept on weeding and after some time, when the rice plant had reached sufficient height, it was fine. So for reasonable yield, we should replace weeds with legume cover crops and also our crop should crowd out weeds.

          This may be different for sugar cane since they grow tall

          Regards,
          Nandan

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
            I do agree !

            Growth of grass surpasses that of paddy and in the initial stages we have to
            weed out, but this is to ensure enough sunlight available to paddy . But
            farmers don't consider this but they think the nutrients available to paddy
            are consumed by weeds . In NF we consider that plants get most of the needs
            from sunlight and water vapour whereas the general opinion of the farmers is
            that plants get their needs mostly from soil and water .

            I have also witnessed the enormous growth of grass dwarfing paddy . So long
            as we don't provide enough vegetative cover to arrest the growth of grass ,
            this will be a perennial problem.

            My point is how farmers view weeds and how we NFs differ from them.