Re: [fukuoka_farming] Updates

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
      From my little experience, your plants look ok. I would be worried if they
      grew too much in the first few months as the stem would become weak. The
      growth is exponential in the 4-5 months and then it continues that way all
      along.

      Here is what I think might be the reason for a Jan - Dec season for
      sugarcane in our region. We get rains in monsoon season - June to Sep. We
      get odd rains in April and May. March and April are the only months that
      require irrigation.

      Another interesting observation was about the infections/insect attacks. The
      only attack I saw in the early months was the borer. However this did not
      apparently cause much harm. It in fact it helped in the further branching of
      the plant.

      I have a few questions:
      a. Why did you not do direct seeding? What disadvantages do you see in this
      method?
      b. How was the land prepared for transplanting?
      c. What is pattern of rains in that part of the country?

      Regards,
      Harish

      On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Plz see the following link for updates in sugarcane farming.
      >
      > https://picasaweb.google.com/115922623664173522646/SugarCaneFarming#5647808479612356994
      >
      > --
      > Boovarahan S
      > Chennai.
      > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
        Thanks for your encouraging words.
        Normally we get rains in October / November. And the summer is from March
        peaking in May.
        On first June I prepared the saplings. They were transplanted after one
        month on the main field.
        Still the tender plants could not withstand the intense heat and hot air and
        about 50 % of them died.
        I replaced them with cut setts .

        As you have rightly said , I have noted the stem borer doing more good.
        Though they suck the stem of the main crop , it results in a number of
        tillers to sprout.

        Normally in our area , farmers cut the sugarcane into three or four pieces
        and bury them in wet soil. This resylts in crowded growth of sugarcane
        making them compete for sunlight. Also not all setts sprout in this method.
        So I tried to grow them in tea cups and select good saplings and transplant
        them . The process went on well so long as the saplings were in shade. Once
        the were exposed to intense heat , many of them could not survive. I learnt
        a big lesson that that the old saying in Tamil " AAdi Pattam Theadi Vidhai "
        meaning sow in the Tamil month of Aadi ( July end / August beginning ) - the
        period after the sun starts to travel in the southern hemisphere , is worth
        gold. This results in slanting sun rays from the south lessening the
        intensity of heat. Also this gives the plants to grow sufficiently high to
        withstand the ensuing rains .

        The land has been taken on lease and the previous owner had already ploughe
        it and I got nothing to do in this regard. But I have not done adding
        anything nor weeding . All the weeds are allowed to grow and die on their
        own. I hope to see good growth in the coming months.

        Also I have notice no earthworms in the field due to chemical farming for
        the past 20 years. Let's hope they turn in soon to bore the field.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2011
          Interesting.

          *Growing season:* Are all the farmers in your region harvest sugarcane just
          before the monsoon? It occurs to me that the growing season is driven more
          by the 'sugar factories' rather than old practice! The factories in our
          region are functional during the first half of the year. And that is why
          sugarcane is grown jan - dec here. Now, I do not know if the factories work
          based on the sugarcane growth cycle or the sugarcane is grown based on
          factory demand!

          *Area per plant:* I was also worried about the area per plant. On repeated
          requests our farmer listened to me and provided 5' between the rows. Subhash
          Palekarji (http://palekarzerobudgetnaturalfarming.com/home.html)recommends8'
          between the rows and I was trying to push this through! Although this
          distance seems too much when they are planted, it is quite evident when they
          grow. Even with the 5' distance the plants do not have enough room in our
          farm. The local practice is to plant them even closer, some at 2' while some
          at 1'. (And they argue that this kind of spacing leaves no room for weeds!
          And that you get more yield per acre.)

          The other day, I was reading this from OSR.

          "I do not try to raise tall fast-growing plants with big leaves. Instead, I
          keep the plants as compact as possible. Keep the head small, do not
          overnourish the plants, and let them grow true to the natural form of the
          rice plant. Usually rice plants three or four feet tall produce luxuriant
          leaves and give the impression that the plant is going to produce a lot of
          grain, but it is only the leafy stalks that are growing strongly. Starch
          production is great but efficiency is low, and so much energy is expended in
          vegetative growth that not much is left to be stored in the grains. For
          example, if tall; over-sized plants yield 2,000 pounds of straw the yield of
          rice will be about 1,000-1,200 pounds. For small rice plants, such as those
          grown in my fields, 2,000 pounds of straw yields 2,000 pounds of rice. In a
          good harvest the yield of rice from my plants will reach about 2,400 pounds;
          that is, it will be 20 percent heavier than the straw."

          Of course, we are talking apples and oranges. Fukuoka san's rice experience
          cannot be directly applied to sugarcane. Still ...

          Regards,
          Harish

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
            Hi !

            Area per plant :

            There are two ways about the planting distance.
            1. Distance between successive rows and plant to plant distance in a row :

            While coventionally farmeres plant sugarcane with just 2 feet gap , this
            makes sugarcane to grow too crowded and compete with each other for air and
            sunlight.

            In my farm , I have planted sugarcane with 6 feet of inter row distance and
            2 feet of plant to plant distance . And this makes the field look too
            sparcely planted . Subash Palekar recommends 8 feet inter row distance but
            this is to accomodate multi cropping.

            2. Number of plants in a row:

            Normally farmers used to plant two setts , each on one side of the ridges
            and not on the furrows . Each sett of sugarcane contains minimum three buds
            . In essence 6 palnts are to be grown within 2 feet . This makes the number
            of setts to be planted more , usually about 30000 setts for an acre.

            I did not follow this method but planted single saplings ( not setts ) at 6
            ft. by 2 ft. intervals.
            This made me to plant just 4500 saplings , a big savings in the cost of
            sugarcane to be bought for planting.

            Growing season :
            The sugarcane companies take a wider area into consideration , usually a
            cluster of villages and the acreage under sugarcane cultivation. The just
            plan the seeding in such a way that they can get the sugarcane produce
            evenly all through the year. In fact I brought the sugarcane inspectors to
            my field for survey and the advised me to plant immediately . Not only me
            but a good number of farmers seed sugarcane in that period . Almost all of
            us are affected by the intense heat of summer sun and hot air wave . Those
            who planted in August didn't face that problem. From this experience I have
            commented on the planting season. Whether the factories function based on
            sugarcane growth cycle or not , nature doesn't give us a chance . It has its
            own agenda of favouring some crops as summer crops and some as winter crops
            . Not every crop can be grown all through the year except trees. Even trees
            when they are too young are affected by untimely planting and off season
            growth retardation. So timing of planting plays an important role. This has
            been my experience and I learnt it the hard way.

            I am waiting for my sugarcane crops to pick up growth . As Fukuoka has
            rightly said , the more the growth of the plants , the less is the produce.
            In rice , if one gets more straw , the grain production is lessened. Since
            our farmers usually need straw for their cattle ,they strike a balance and
            go in for tall variety rice with accelerated growth. This is my observation.

            By next fortnight I may commence rice planting since this is our main season
            for our staple food of rice. Hope this process goes smoothly.

            Thanks.

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
              To me it looks like that, grass varieties grow very close..Especially
              rice when broadcasted there is no 1 feet distance which is recommended
              in SRI method,but still they grow healthy and produce good yield. Also natural grass if you observe they grows very close
              and dense.

              Another aspect is weed control..if plants grow close they may crowd out
              weeds well, or you should have another leguminous ground cover like
              clover used by Fukuoka san, may be that is the best.

              Regards,

              Nandan

> [...]

              > > require irrigation.

              > > Another interesting observation was about the infections/insect attacks.

              > > The

              > > only attack I saw in the early months was the borer. However this did not

              > > apparently cause much harm. It in fact it helped in the further branching

              > > of

              > > the plant.

              > > I have a few questions:

              > > a. Why did you not do direct seeding? What disadvantages do you see in

              > this

              > > method?

              > > b. How was the land prepared for transplanting?

              > > c. What is pattern of rains in that part of the country?

              > > Regards,

              > > Harish

              > > Boovarahan S

              > Chennai.

              > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

            • Nishad S K
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                Hi
                What's the malayalam name for alfalfa and white clover? To use a cover crop
                among cowpea, alfalfa and white clover which suits kerala coastal area
                better.

                Thanks

                Regards,
                Dr Nishad S K

                9895755690

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                  Grass varieties normally outgrow paddy and other crops.
                  To my mind I don't consider them as weeds since I believe nature will feed
                  all crops on it. It is our mind which conceives that one type of crops
                  should be overgrown ( ? ) than others. That is why I have not weeded my
                  farm. There are some plants which twine up on others. I have seen a creeper
                  entwining the sugarcane restricting its spread . In such cases it becomes
                  necessary to free the sugarcane from the aggression / encroachment of other
                  plants . Even in such cases , I have not killed the weeds but simply trimmed
                  and removed the entwining portion.

                  In SRI method , the main point is to plant single seedlings in an arranged
                  manner of say 1 foot distance thereby allowing each plant to have better
                  sunlight and air. Also weeding is a must in SRI using a weeder but this
                  results in soil disturbance . And this is to be done once in 15 days which
                  results in frequent soil disturbance . SRI method advocates ploughing and
                  levelling of land whereas in NF we are against it. Mulching is avoided in
                  SRI and the farm is maintained clean whereas in NF and ZBF mulching is of
                  paramount importance. In SRI ,application of fertilizers , whether chemical
                  or organic manure, is followed but in NF there is no such necessity. The
                  soil improves on its own. SRI is better suited to farmers whose mindset
                  relies on the belief that something should be done to increase grain
                  production , whereas in NF we leave it to nature. What we try to do is just
                  to mimic nature and a forest and provide a conducive atmosphere for the
                  micro organisms to thrive in and asee nature do the rest . But for the
                  initial little efforts in NF ,it is mostly watching nature play its own game
                  .

                  Correct me if I am wrong.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                    If you are a farmer and depends for your food from farming, then you may do weeding !!! I think there is no problem in doing that since even Fukuoka san suggested that initial weeding, composting may be necessary, but it should be reduced gradually when the land improves. Most of us, directly jump into pure natural farming, one reason being even if there is crop loss, we can afford it.

                    Fukuoka san also suggested shallow-tillage direct-seeding for rice and later switching to no-tillage (Please see page 147 of natural farming - online book).

                    Regards,
                    Nandan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                      Hi Nishad,

                      I have never heard any one using Alfalfa and clover in Kerala. I also searched for clover, but it looks like it grows only in cold climates. From the descriptions, it looked to be the best cover crop, since it reseeds well and also grows like a carpet and does not grow tall.

                      I had some issues with cow pea in germination and establishing it, so using sun-hemp for the time being, but next time, I would like to again try cow-pea since it has some food value also.

                      For rice, I am still looking for a correct legume which I can mix it with rice and sow. Some suggestion was there to use methi, but it was not establishing well here. As of now I am planning to use horse gram.

                      Why don't you introduce and brief about your farming activities.

                      Regards,
                      Nandan
                      http://www.farming-experiments.blogspot.com/

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
                        I don't consider weeds decrease the grain production.
                        In June me and other farmers planted sugarcane . While they ploughed and
                        applied fertilizers and weeded , I did nothing but all lost the crops due to
                        unseasonal planting . It is their misconception that weeds take away the
                        nutrients from the crops making them give lesser produce . I think nature
                        provides enough nutrients to all plants , grains or weeds.

                        What Fukuoka said is an one time affair. But what people do is recurring in
                        nature.

                        On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
                          Boovarahan,

                          My observation contradicts this..when there are strong weeds around, growth of plants is less and also for rice, weeds blocks sunlights also and they don't grow at all. My thinking was that after weeding once and if rice is given an upper hand, then things should be OK. But to my surprise weeds again had grown faster than rice and completely surrounded them. In some area, I kept on weeding and after some time, when the rice plant had reached sufficient height, it was fine. So for reasonable yield, we should replace weeds with legume cover crops and also our crop should crowd out weeds.

                          This may be different for sugar cane since they grow tall

                          Regards,
                          Nandan

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2011
                            I do agree !

                            Growth of grass surpasses that of paddy and in the initial stages we have to
                            weed out, but this is to ensure enough sunlight available to paddy . But
                            farmers don't consider this but they think the nutrients available to paddy
                            are consumed by weeds . In NF we consider that plants get most of the needs
                            from sunlight and water vapour whereas the general opinion of the farmers is
                            that plants get their needs mostly from soil and water .

                            I have also witnessed the enormous growth of grass dwarfing paddy . So long
                            as we don't provide enough vegetative cover to arrest the growth of grass ,
                            this will be a perennial problem.

                            My point is how farmers view weeds and how we NFs differ from them.