Re: [fukuoka_farming] Water supply

  • Travellingatthespeedofthought
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Boovarahan,

      A bore hole can easily be drilled by hand depending on the depth required to find water.  In Kathmandu we can easily dito over 40 meters (120 feet) by hand.  These days most people put in a four inch pipe.  This allows for you to pump a lot of water fast.  It is funny, but I have only seen it drilled by hand.  I am sure in Nepal somewhere they have a rig to drill it, but it is most common by hand.

      Local guys (it's Indians actually who dig the wells here) can dig 40 meters in 2 days.  It usually takes three guys and they use a system of metal pipes which they slowly add on to as the drill goes further and further down.  At the very bottom of the pipes is what we call a "bit" in English.  Something like a "tooth" to eat away at the soil.  We call it drilling, but that is maybe the wrong word.  Drilling means that the pipes and bit would be "rotating", but they are not.  The action comes a lever built above the bore hole.  The action is pulling the pipes up and then slamming them back down into the hole. Somehow along the way the bit does turn and slowly eats at the earth.  The process is assisted by pouring water down the whole to loosen the soil and keep the pipes lubricated.

      If you are really interested in doing it by hand, I think it would be best to call in some local guys to show you one time.  It's definitely rocket science and after trying it a couple times you will probably be able to do it yourself.  The main investment is your time and money to by the pipes.

      Good luck and let me know if I can help!

      Zac

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        This is called cable tool drilling and it can be done by hand or by
        machine. The way it works is fairly simple. The "bit" is very heavy,
        over 100kg when you are using a machine. It is lifted by a cable and
        then allowed to free fall into the rock or soil, crushing it. After
        several cycles of this, the bit is pulled out of the hole and a
        "bailer" is dropped in. The bailer is a cylinder fitted with a one
        way flap at the bottom. It smashes into the bottom of the hole and
        forces all of the crushed rock and soil through the flap and into the
        bailer. It is then pulled out of the hole, and emptied. The bit goes
        back on and the process repeats.

        This type of drilling is very very old, but excellent for
        do-it-yourselfers because of the flexibility of the process. They
        will cut through sand, clay, or bedrock. Car or truck springs can be
        made into bits, and a bailer is very easy to fabricate. For hand use,
        a pulley and ropes can be used for the power source. If you wanted to
        build a "drilling machine", then a small winch and some type of
        reciprocation is required.

        This manual covers the process fairly well.
        http://www.practica.org/wp-content/uploads/services/publications/drilling%20manuals/EN/Percussion%20manual%20drilling%20PRACTICA%20EN.pdf

        It is part of the well drilling series from the Practica Foundation
        http://www.practica.org/services/publications/manuals/

        Finally here is a youtube video of a man drilling a well with an old
        easystar drilling machine.
        Drilling: http://youtu.be/HDHtY6vqOdc
        Bailing: http://youtu.be/e5zFI7D_HL0

        This is a subject that intrigues me. If you attempt it, please tell
        me how it goes.

        Thanks!
        Elizabeth Greene

      • sylvain.picker
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
          [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 2609

          Water supply Bore wells/ Water wells used as information to compose a post in a new Forum about Food Forests & Natural Farming:

          http://ogfor.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=113

          You can also see the Food Forest Project at: http://www.ogbuzz.com/ suggesting that we plant shelterbelts windbreaks and Food Forests of nut and fruit trees grown from seeds, mixed with edible and medicinal perennial plants and mushrooms on a scale even larger than the shelterbelt plantation efforts in the USA after the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, or even China's Green Wall.

          Thank you for this essential information you share with the world.