Re: [fukuoka_farming] People, this is an URGENT Heads-Up!!!!

  • Travellingatthespeedofthought
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2011
      I think we should be more careful with what is posted in this group.  This "news" is incredibly poorly written and full of a lot of "mis-information".  As we all know, you can not just believe everything which is posted on the internet.  Let's stay away from anything to do with big business or politics.  Let's not support anything except each other and other farmers in the communities we live in.

      Do we have a moderator?

      Zac
      Canada/Nepal

      ________________________________
      From: "Weston A. Price Foundation" <info@...>
      Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011
      To: <kristlclay@bellsout h.net>
      Subject: Food Buying Club Raid in Los Angeles

      ACTION ALERT: FOOD BUYING CLUB RAID IN LOS ANGELES

      RAWESOME Raw Food Buying Club in Venice Beach, California was raided for
      the second time today and James Stewart, club organizer, is in jail  with $123K bond set. Victoria Bloch, a Weston A. Price chapter leader,
      and farmer Sharon Palmer were also arrested.

      Mark McAfee ofOrganic Pastures Dairy is organizing a protest rally
      tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. at the courthouse where the raw milk
      advocates are to be arraigned. Southern California citizens are urged to join Mark McAfee and food blogger Ann Marie Michaels.

      Arraignment is scheduled for tomorrow in Department 30, Los Angeles
      Superior Court, fifth floor, Criminal Justice Center, 210 W. Temple St.,
      Los Angeles. Court opens at 8:30 a.m. The district attorneys office
      says it is likely they are to go before the judge during the morning
      session.

      ACTION TO TAKE
      The office of the L.A. District attorney is fielding calls regarding the case. For more information, or to express concern about the governments actions, call 213-974-3512.

      Also please call the Los Angeles television stations - KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC - and ask them to cover the protest rally.

      Spread this as far and wide as you are able!!!!   Willow

      TALKING POINTS
      Talking Points for speaking with elected official about this issue:
      --Infringement of private property rights
      --Misuse of state resources
      --Denying citizens freedom of food choice

      Ask your representatives in Congress to co-sponsor the Ron Paul bill
      lifting the ban on raw milk in interstate commerce; while not a factor
      in this case, it sends an important message about citizen access to raw
      milk.

      See our publicists blog about the original raid:
      http://hartkeisonli ne.com/food- politics/ john-stossel- on-food-police- and-rawesome- raid/

      BACKGROUND
      Background on the case from Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund website:

      News for October 22, 2010
      Rawesome Foods raw milk co-op raid conducted by criminal elements of local, state and federal law enforcement

      On June 30, 2010, a group of armed agents from local, state, federal and
      even the Canadian government illegally trespassed on private property
      and raided Rawesome Foods, a private food buying club in Venice,
      California. With guns drawn, these agents tore through the property
      stealing computers, raw dairy products and honey, all while holding some
      of the volunteer workers hostage for several hours. When the agents
      finally left, they took with them thousands of dollars in private
      property as well as the surveillance footage of their armed raid

      News for July 4, 2010
      What's the FBI Doing in My Milk?

      This past Wednesday, June 30th, the FBI in conjunction with the FDA
      raided Rawsome, a private membership food-buying club that has supplied
      my home and much of the Venice and Santa Monica community with super
      high-quality nutrient-dense foods for the past decade. The club, which
      opens on Wednesdays and Saturdays only, is extremely popular among
      raw-foodists and other citizens who choose to eat foods which are
      unprocessed and "as natural and organic as possible." The general belief
      among this group is that these fresh foods are much better for the
      human body than pasteurized, irradiated, processed foods. The FDA does
      not share this opinion and has expressed its concern that many of these
      foods will be dangerous precisely because they are raw and untreated.
      For example, the FDA has expressed concerns about drinking unpasteurized
      milk products, which I have personally been drinking (and loving) for
      years. The FDA has now passed regulations against selling various raw
      foods, hence the need for a private club, which legally can operate
      without a license.

      In order to shop at Rawsome, one must first read and sign a document
      detailing the alleged dangers of consuming natural, unprocessed and
      unpasteurized food products. Once signed, a would-be patron will pay an
      annual membership fee to gain the right to shop at the club. The
      shopping experience is reasonably run of the mill. Many of the foods
      sold at Rawsome - fruits, vegetables, nuts - can also be found at most
      any other market. The difference at Rawsome is that the quality is often
      better as is the possibility of finding heirloom varieties of one's
      favorite produce. Regardless, a raid was conducted yesterday and Rawsome
      has been shut down allegedly for operating without a license - a
      license that is not legally required for them to operate their private
      club.

      Media Contact: Kimberly Hartke, publicist
      Weston A Price Foundation
      703-860-2711, cell 703-675-5557, press@westonaprice. org

      Ann Marie Michaels, Los Angeles rally media contact
      310-482-9643, annmarie@realfoodme dia.com

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 6, 2011
        Corruption!! Naked and pure and simple and to hell with farmers. GM crops, in addition to being a danger to people also make farmers totally dependent on corporate giants like Monsanto and Cargil. I think farmers deserve our support where ever they are.

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        >________________________________

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 6, 2011
          No harm done, it is a wake up call for all of us, especially in India. Politicians and corporates make for a dangerous combination.

        • Shashi Kumar
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 6, 2011
            Yes, this group is moderated --

            Here is how the moderation works --

            1. First 4 to 5 posts from a new group member are moderated.
            2. After first 4 to 5 posts, posts by the group member are NOT moderated.

            Regards
            Shashi, Group Moderator.

          • Ruthie Aquino
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 6, 2011
              Agriculture is dependent on culture, Booze, I agree with you that two
              different cultures can't have the same agriculture.
              The French have a looong history, while the USA is a relatively young
              federation. Americans are pragmatic : those who were on the Mayflower left
              old Europe for a new life somewhere very far away where frontiers could
              still be conquered. It is a mindset. Old Europe has deeply-rooted customs
              and traditions. As to the US, there was an attempt in their history to
              exterminate their very own native American Indians. France has a history of
              colonialism, while the US has a history of slavery and expansionism. We see
              here two very different life stories. It is not good for one nation to
              impose their will or way of life on another. Let old Europe be, and let
              America be. The rest is protectionism and politicizing. For me diversity
              is not a problem. It is intolerance that is the problem.
              You are not a zero but a hero.
              best
              RUTHIE

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                I agree, the mail is rather poorly written but I think it signifies the haste/ panic this person seems to be in. I have read some and seen some movies on the net and what this guy is saying is right. The food industry in the US has become an all powerful monster and if we do not watch it is knocking on your door next. The kind of laws they have managed to enact is frightening. And it does mean helping farmers by doing something about it.

                see the movie "food inc" on You tube. Natural farming is the biggest enemy these corporates have and they will do whatever it takes to stamp it out.

              • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Sumant !

                  Natural farming has become the enemy of corporate giants because it frees
                  the farmers from the clutches of multinationals .

                  But if you go to the root of the problem , it is the farmers who are to be
                  blamed. Their greed to get more and more from land , considering land as a
                  machine of grain production , treating insects and weeds as enemies , trying
                  to convert the land as a money making machine - all led to this present day
                  scenario. And in their greed , generations have forgotten about the natural
                  ways of farming . Whenever I meet any new farmers and ask about how people
                  used to get bumper crops some 100 years ago without using any kind of
                  chemicals , they simply blink and don't have the answers . And people of the
                  past were stronger than the present day villagers who still get cleaner air
                  , water and good physical work than their city counterparts . And the health
                  of the present day villagers is no more better than that of their city
                  dwelling counterparts as I can see rampant cases of diabetes , heart
                  ailments , cancer , premature deaths and high blood pressure in villagers. I
                  doubt very much the use of chemicals as the cause of these diseases . Though
                  the scientific community is meek in declaring this , due to the funding they
                  receive from corporates , I am still of this view. I may be wrong .

                  As Fukuoka rightly said , natural farming is just a part of natural living.
                  So long mankind does not return to nature , there is going to be no better
                  future. Whenever I try to trace the root cause of human suffering , I can
                  not but think of Fukuoka and his genius. But , as the world is moving in a
                  frenetic pace for more , more , more and more , I see no end to human
                  misery. I may be wrong but it just occurred to me.

                • yajnesh shetty
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                    The government of India is the largest producer of fertilizers and pesticides (in India)and

                    spends crores of rupees every year to advertise its wares.It uses its administrative machinery

                    to popularise chemical farming and floats schemes and subsidies and incentives to entice

                    poor farmers to indulge in these practices.
                    The farmers depend on farming as their sole means of livelihood and providing for their

                    children so when the government promises them bumper crops and prosperity they believe

                    them.What is wrong in trying earn more for yourself and your dependents? They do not have

                    the luxury of having other means of income and on an empty stomach principles take a

                    backseat. By the time they realise their mistake they are trapped in a cycle of debt and

                    dependance and they no longer have the means nor the courage to break out of it since

                    everyone around including the agricultural scientist and the government tell them the

                    chemical farming mantra is the only way.
                    They are the biggest victims of this deep rooted conspiracy and as we see daily they are

                    literally paying for it with their lives. I think it is an oversimplification and unfair to say they

                    are the root cause for what is happening.
                     Just my 2 cents worth.
                                                                                              Regards,
                                                                                                  Yaj.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                      Dear Yaj,
                      Booze says farmers are at the root of the problem and you say farmers are
                      not the root cause.
                      You are both right.
                      There are small farmers and there are big farmers.
                      I mentioned this in the group already once, that here in France the biggest
                      enemies of nature are the big farmers whose aim is not farming but earning.
                      They might very much as well have gone into selling cars.
                      The enemy of natural farming is consumerism and speculation.
                      No demand, no offer. No stock exchange no artificial pricing.
                      We all want to have nice things, and we all want to earn more. Seems
                      natural enough. Up to a certain point.
                      It has become a conscious effort to simplify and downsize. I'm trying in my
                      own small way to live more simply. If we stop purchasing more and more
                      modern tractors maybe they'll stop building them. Yeah...wishful
                      thinking...
                      I apologize in advance to the really miserable people who are not included
                      in what I'm talking about. I am not asking truly poor people to try to live
                      even poorer. I am wishing for a decent life for one and all. I think
                      Fukuoka-san showed us one way to achieve it. He talked about the evils of
                      land speculation, urban zoning, and other things that mar the well-being of
                      man. He was down-to-earth.

                      best
                      RUTHIE

                      .2011/8/7 yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...>

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                        In the interest of truth I must add to the above that just a little over a
                        hundred kilometers north of where I live, in the port of Bordeaux, reigned
                        one of the biggest slave trades in Europe, for export to North America.
                        Some slaves came from the West Indies, others came from Africa.

                        best
                        RUTHIE

                        2011/8/7 Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>

                        > Agriculture is dependent on culture, Booze, I agree with you that two
                        > different cultures can't have the same agriculture.
                        > The French have a looong history, while the USA is a relatively young
                        > federation. Americans are pragmatic : those who were on the Mayflower left
                        > old Europe for a new life somewhere very far away where frontiers could
                        > still be conquered. It is a mindset. Old Europe has deeply-rooted customs
                        > and traditions. As to the US, there was an attempt in their history to
                        > exterminate their very own native American Indians. France has a history of
                        > colonialism, while the US has a history of slavery and expansionism. We see
                        > here two very different life stories. It is not good for one nation to
                        > impose their will or way of life on another. Let old Europe be, and let
                        > America be. The rest is protectionism and politicizing. For me diversity
                        > is not a problem. It is intolerance that is the problem.
                        > You are not a zero but a hero.
                        > best
                        > RUTHIE
                        >
                        > 2011/8/6 Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> This kind of arm twisting methods of govt agencies at the behest or
                        >> corporate multinationals is deploarable . Already Indian farmers are
                        >> against
                        >> such moves in the face of introduction of GM seeds BT cotton and chemical
                        >> inputs like Endosulfan.
                        >>
                        >> Ruthie ! As far I know France and USA don't go hand in hand well , at
                        >> least
                        >> in agriculture and subsidies . That may be because of the French mindset
                        >> which craves for freedom. I may be wrong due to my low level international
                        >> political knowledge but it just occured to me. Sorry if I am wrong.
                        >>
                        >> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:
                        >>

                        >> > Yes Sumant you are right I was over-reacting.
                        >> > It is because in this group I appreciate the peace and quiet...
                        >> >
                        >> > best
                        >> > RUTHIE
                        >>
                        >> > Boovarahan S
                        >> >
                        >> Chennai.
                        >> 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                      • fujiinn
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 7, 2011
                          This is a little bit offtopic: corporatism is not capitalism, it's fascism. Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 8, 2011
                            Aha!! now we come back to the original and controversial problem. Why do these farmers need more land? to produce more food? obviously to feed a growing population. If there was no market for their produce, why would they bother to grow more?
                            But then the government is also enticing them to make more profits, whereas actually it is the corporates and middlemen who are making the profits. The chemical fertilizer and pesticide companies and the traders. The scientific community has no reason to promote NF, it will kill their jobs won't it?

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 8, 2011
                              Oh !

                              The more you produce , the less price you get as per demand supply theory.

                              Better grow less and make a demand [?]

                              Am I right Sumant ?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 8, 2011
                                :)) you mean grow less population?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 8, 2011
                                  Less grains , more demand but the people are the sufferers.
                                  The govts. twist the arms of the farmers asking them to use chemicals and
                                  use the higher growth rate as bait. Once into the vicious circle of
                                  chemicals , farmers find no way out. Add to this the burden of loans
                                  extended by banks . It's all a conspiracy.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 9, 2011
                                    Hi Sumant,
                                    What's this obsession of yours with population growth hahaha?
                                    I think it's a First World thing so Third world people stop procreating
                                    because otherwise there would be less to go around for First World people.
                                    I think First World people should be exhorted to be less greedy, slow down
                                    the hi-tech race, and eat less. They're getting obese and blas�.
                                    I was once harshly criticized for using the term Third World as being
                                    disparaging. Sorry I am not a person to belittle countries that are in the
                                    course of economic development and are trying to catch up with developed
                                    countries.
                                    To cheer up this exchange hehehe attached is a picture of my First World
                                    harvest from a very small patch-- unlike yours-- using Third World farming.
                                    It's a heavy file, I see now, because I was too lazy to downsize....If you
                                    can't open it I'll try to send a reduced one.
                                    best
                                    RUTHIE

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 9, 2011
                                      You know Ruthie, this population logic falls flat on it's face when I am confronted with facts like, the US population is 4% of the world's total and consumes 25% of natural resources. So I guess you are right about developed countries being greedy. But fortunately, some countries in Europe are waking up fast.
                                      But blaming others is one way of looking at things. I also have to see what I can do. Remember "the power principle" ??

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 9, 2011
                                        Sorry I do not know the power principle oops hehe
                                        Well in this group we have already started doing things for our world...I
                                        guess...

                                      • Sumant Joshi
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 9, 2011
                                          Thats a book by Stephen Covey in which he says that if you want to solve problems in your life and blame someone else as being responsible for it, you lose power over your situation. I mean if so n so is responsible, what can I do? I am powerless. But if I say, "let me see how I am responsible for it" then I am taking back the power to do something about it.