Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: livestock

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
      Turmeric, ginger and many creepers grow very well in shade. Most of these
      are 'cash crops'. So if you grow trees and grow these crops below them, the
      successor may not object. However I do know that it is hard to break this
      'rigid' culture.

      Is shade the reason or do they claim that the large trees consume all of the
      nutrients? Or that they obstruct the tilling process?

      On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I thought of that way but the problem is the land is a leased one for 5
      > years and the landlady may reclaim it any time before. And she may not like
      > growing trees as the local villagers are of the view that shade giving
      > trees
      > deter the growth of grains. Even if I grow trees , the subsequent farmers
      > will cut it down without mercy.
      >
      > I own another small piece of land ( 29 cents ) and am going to plant some
      > trees there .
      >
      > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > Booze,
      > > Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant some fruit trees, even sparsely, say
      > > every 50 meters apart? I was thinking of mango, which likes a distinct
      > dry
      > > season and seems to prosper in India.
      > > Trees develop deep roots, I think that is good for natural farming.
      > > Now, if it is impossible to plant trees in your land, then disregard this
      > > point of view.
      > > The idea is to develop a food forest, but that could take 50 years.
      > > Good luck.
      > > RUTHIE
      > >

      > > --
      >

      > Boovarahan S
      > Chennai.
      > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2011
        Dear friend,
        This is true there is no need of bringing any organic matter from outside in
        Fukuoka farming if we protect it and not allow it go out side.The shortage
        of organic matter due to erosion of soil, erosion of biodiversity and
        erosion water.This shortage directly liked with tilling,burning of
        straws,and uncontrolled grazing. Fukuoka never said that do not keep animals
        and never use organic matter. But he told that making compost is useless
        work.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I would say no inputs is the aim of natural farming - but Fukuoka DID bring
        > in chicken manure from a local farmer to put over the straw to help it
        > decompose before spring. He only did this once his ducks were constrained
        > by
        > the highway though.
        >
        > If you don't raise livestock you need to determine if the manure is an
        > absolute requirement for your needs. It quite likely isn't it but even then
        > there is no need to raise livestock, just accommodate it - you could setup
        > dovecotes and bat boxes and harvest the manure from them as an option.
        >
        > I don't think Raju uses any inputs? Am I correct Raju?
        >
        > Linda

        Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
        +919179738049.
        http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus