Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: livestock

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
      True !

      But my land is devoid of trees / green cover . May try growing trees but it
      takes longer time. Until then I want to stick to NF principles as close as
      possible with minimal inputs.

      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:

      > Apparently birds do provide some form of manure.
      > Anyway we live in diffrent parts of the world and we are each trying to do
      > some natural farming despite opposition or incomprehension.
      > We better stick together.
      > best
      > RUTHIE

      > Boovarahan S

      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
        Booze,
        Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant some fruit trees, even sparsely, say
        every 50 meters apart? I was thinking of mango, which likes a distinct dry
        season and seems to prosper in India.
        Trees develop deep roots, I think that is good for natural farming.
        Now, if it is impossible to plant trees in your land, then disregard this
        point of view.
        The idea is to develop a food forest, but that could take 50 years.
        Good luck.
        RUTHIE

        2011/8/3 Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>

        > **
        >

        > True !
        >
        > But my land is devoid of trees / green cover . May try growing trees but it
        > takes longer time. Until then I want to stick to NF principles as close as
        > possible with minimal inputs.
        >
        > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Apparently birds do provide some form of manure.
        > > Anyway we live in diffrent parts of the world and we are each trying to
        > do
        > > some natural farming despite opposition or incomprehension.
        > > We better stick together.
        > > best
        > > RUTHIE
        >
        > > Boovarahan S
        > >
        > Chennai.
        > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
          In chapter 'Farming Among Weeds' in one straw revolution, Fukuoka san says...

          "In making the transition to this kind of farming, some weeding, composting or pruning may be necessary at first, but these measures should be gradually reduced each year. Ultimately, it is not the growing technique which is the most important factor, but rather the state of mind
          of the farmer".

          So it looks like there is no issue in adding compost or animal manure also, but we have to reduce it gradually. For most of us, who is in the transition phase this is true, for a few whose land has become fertile, application of animal manure etc.. may not be required at all.

          Also to make natural farming popular among farmers, if they directly start on natural farming, mostly they will fail and quit natural farming, so it be better to advise gradual transition.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
            I thought of that way but the problem is the land is a leased one for 5
            years and the landlady may reclaim it any time before. And she may not like
            growing trees as the local villagers are of the view that shade giving trees
            deter the growth of grains. Even if I grow trees , the subsequent farmers
            will cut it down without mercy.

            I own another small piece of land ( 29 cents ) and am going to plant some
            trees there .

            On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:

            > Booze,
            > Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant some fruit trees, even sparsely, say
            > every 50 meters apart? I was thinking of mango, which likes a distinct dry
            > season and seems to prosper in India.
            > Trees develop deep roots, I think that is good for natural farming.
            > Now, if it is impossible to plant trees in your land, then disregard this
            > point of view.
            > The idea is to develop a food forest, but that could take 50 years.
            > Good luck.
            > RUTHIE
            >

            > --

            Boovarahan S
            Chennai.
            09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
              Turmeric, ginger and many creepers grow very well in shade. Most of these
              are 'cash crops'. So if you grow trees and grow these crops below them, the
              successor may not object. However I do know that it is hard to break this
              'rigid' culture.

              Is shade the reason or do they claim that the large trees consume all of the
              nutrients? Or that they obstruct the tilling process?

              On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I thought of that way but the problem is the land is a leased one for 5
              > years and the landlady may reclaim it any time before. And she may not like
              > growing trees as the local villagers are of the view that shade giving
              > trees
              > deter the growth of grains. Even if I grow trees , the subsequent farmers
              > will cut it down without mercy.
              >
              > I own another small piece of land ( 29 cents ) and am going to plant some
              > trees there .
              >
              > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...
              > >wrote:
              >

              > > Booze,
              > > Wouldn't it be a good idea to plant some fruit trees, even sparsely, say
              > > every 50 meters apart? I was thinking of mango, which likes a distinct
              > dry
              > > season and seems to prosper in India.
              > > Trees develop deep roots, I think that is good for natural farming.
              > > Now, if it is impossible to plant trees in your land, then disregard this
              > > point of view.
              > > The idea is to develop a food forest, but that could take 50 years.
              > > Good luck.
              > > RUTHIE
              > >

              > > --
              >

              > Boovarahan S
              > Chennai.
              > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

            • Raju Titus
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2011
                Dear friend,
                This is true there is no need of bringing any organic matter from outside in
                Fukuoka farming if we protect it and not allow it go out side.The shortage
                of organic matter due to erosion of soil, erosion of biodiversity and
                erosion water.This shortage directly liked with tilling,burning of
                straws,and uncontrolled grazing. Fukuoka never said that do not keep animals
                and never use organic matter. But he told that making compost is useless
                work.
                Thanks
                Raju

                On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I would say no inputs is the aim of natural farming - but Fukuoka DID bring
                > in chicken manure from a local farmer to put over the straw to help it
                > decompose before spring. He only did this once his ducks were constrained
                > by
                > the highway though.
                >
                > If you don't raise livestock you need to determine if the manure is an
                > absolute requirement for your needs. It quite likely isn't it but even then
                > there is no need to raise livestock, just accommodate it - you could setup
                > dovecotes and bat boxes and harvest the manure from them as an option.
                >
                > I don't think Raju uses any inputs? Am I correct Raju?
                >
                > Linda

                Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                +919179738049.
                http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus