Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: High density tree planting

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
      At Thursday, 3 October 2002, Sean wrote:

      >Although I agree that "quick return" and "instant America" are not
      good
      >things, there are other pressures and reasons to hurry.
      >
      >6-8 years is an eternity for your own fruit, when you look at it from
      >another perspective:
      >1) We're eating fruits loaded with pesticides . 6 years is a long time
      >to poison yourself
      >-OR-
      >2) We're eating organic fruits from 1000's of miles away. That's a lot
      >of pollution and gas consumption, just to get the fruits to your
      fridge.

      I can understand those pressures and desires. Fortunately, I am literally
      surrounded by organic farms and orchards that give me the time to
      think about what I'm doing rather than act from desparation.

      >Where I live in Florida, organic apples come from NY(1200 miles away)
      >and organic "anything-else" comes from California (3000 miles away)
      >Even organic citrus comes from California (think about that one
      .. Florida
      >imports organic oranges from California)

      Having spent some time in both Florida and California it doesn't
      surprise me. What I have trouble with is living in a major grape-
      growing region and eating grapes that come from Chile. BTW, I'm planting
      some grape vines in spring...

      >I'll be happy to prune a bit to stop that, but I'd probably just snip
      >of a little branch every few weeks, instead of some huge pruning once
      >a year.

      Actually, if you go this route you do a major pruning once in summer
      and then some touchups in fall and late winter. It's not the kind
      of thing that makes sense doing a nibble at a time.

      >You have to figure that even in Nature, a tree can lose a branch
      or two
      >from an animal running through or a deer coming to browse.

      I have deer come and share our apples on a regular basis. Never broke
      a branch. They are surprisingly delicate eaters. The upside of having
      deer browse on your garden or orchard is that it gives a sense of
      sharing with nature that is unique. The downside is that you can't
      shoot them when deer season opens because they've become "pets".

      I understand what you are saying about branches being broken by natural
      forces, but pruning is only part of the problem. Transplanting saplings
      is a bigger one. Fukuoka promotes growing trees from seeds. Something
      almost nobody seems willing or able to do. But it is the only way
      to get a truly native/natural tree. If you have the patience to plant
      seeds and wait for the orchard to grow then you have patience to
      never prune them. If you are going to transplant a tree then what
      does it matter if you prune it?

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka