Re: High density tree planting

  • Sean Phelan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
      > I live in a "quick return" culture that more and more
      > jars at my sensibilities. For someone who wants to harvest a bunch
      > of fruit from a small space starting in six to eight years (an eternity
      > to most Americans I think) this technique would probably work.

      Larry,

      Although I agree that "quick return" and "instant America" are not good things, there are other pressures and reasons to hurry.

      6-8 years is an eternity for your own fruit, when you look at it from another perspective:
      1) We're eating fruits loaded with pesticides . 6 years is a long time to poison yourself
      -OR-
      2) We're eating organic fruits from 1000's of miles away. That's a lot of pollution and gas consumption, just to get the fruits to your fridge.

      3) Either way, we're encouraging the loss of biodiversity that inevitably comes with large-scale agriculture.

      Personally, I'd rather deal with the "unnatural" of doing some pruning, than the "even-more-unnatural" stated above.

      Where I live in Florida, organic apples come from NY(1200 miles away) and organic "anything-else" comes from California (3000 miles away)
      Even organic citrus comes from California (think about that one ... Florida imports organic oranges from California)

      I'll be happy to prune a bit to stop that, but I'd probably just snip of a little branch every few weeks, instead of some huge pruning once a year.

      You have to figure that even in Nature, a tree can lose a branch or two from an animal running through or a deer coming to browse.

      Sp

      Sean Phelan
      Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
      http://www.sqcn.com
      mailto:SPhelan@...
      http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
      (321) 984-0211
    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
        At Thursday, 03 October 2002, you wrote:

        > While I credit this group for the on-going encouragement of our
        >Fukuoka inspired project, I may just tell your story as having come
        >from a wise man in the group, unless you can use some quote points in
        >Richmond, Virginia. The greenway is for generations of our children.

        I always like to get a byline on my work. In this case "wise man
        in the group" sounds ego-inflating enough to satisfy... :)

        Good luck with your presentation. Sounds like you have an economic
        justice issue as well as environmental one. Hope you succeed.

        BTW, I still don't know if you are Robin, Maya or Napi. Is this a
        well-kept secret, do you have a multiple personality, or do all three
        of you speak on this list with the same delightful voice?

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
          At Thursday, 3 October 2002, Sean wrote:

          >Although I agree that "quick return" and "instant America" are not
          good
          >things, there are other pressures and reasons to hurry.
          >
          >6-8 years is an eternity for your own fruit, when you look at it from
          >another perspective:
          >1) We're eating fruits loaded with pesticides . 6 years is a long time
          >to poison yourself
          >-OR-
          >2) We're eating organic fruits from 1000's of miles away. That's a lot
          >of pollution and gas consumption, just to get the fruits to your
          fridge.

          I can understand those pressures and desires. Fortunately, I am literally
          surrounded by organic farms and orchards that give me the time to
          think about what I'm doing rather than act from desparation.

          >Where I live in Florida, organic apples come from NY(1200 miles away)
          >and organic "anything-else" comes from California (3000 miles away)
          >Even organic citrus comes from California (think about that one
          .. Florida
          >imports organic oranges from California)

          Having spent some time in both Florida and California it doesn't
          surprise me. What I have trouble with is living in a major grape-
          growing region and eating grapes that come from Chile. BTW, I'm planting
          some grape vines in spring...

          >I'll be happy to prune a bit to stop that, but I'd probably just snip
          >of a little branch every few weeks, instead of some huge pruning once
          >a year.

          Actually, if you go this route you do a major pruning once in summer
          and then some touchups in fall and late winter. It's not the kind
          of thing that makes sense doing a nibble at a time.

          >You have to figure that even in Nature, a tree can lose a branch
          or two
          >from an animal running through or a deer coming to browse.

          I have deer come and share our apples on a regular basis. Never broke
          a branch. They are surprisingly delicate eaters. The upside of having
          deer browse on your garden or orchard is that it gives a sense of
          sharing with nature that is unique. The downside is that you can't
          shoot them when deer season opens because they've become "pets".

          I understand what you are saying about branches being broken by natural
          forces, but pruning is only part of the problem. Transplanting saplings
          is a bigger one. Fukuoka promotes growing trees from seeds. Something
          almost nobody seems willing or able to do. But it is the only way
          to get a truly native/natural tree. If you have the patience to plant
          seeds and wait for the orchard to grow then you have patience to
          never prune them. If you are going to transplant a tree then what
          does it matter if you prune it?

          Larry Haftl
          larry@...
          http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka