Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming at Shikaripura Taluk (Karnataka)

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
      That's nice but first timers like me need much detailed and step by step
      guide to be successful natural farmers. Currently I am learning it in the
      hard way.

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > http://www.deccanherald.com/content/173611/back-natural-farming.html
      >
      > --
      > Vishu
      >
      > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
      >
      > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
        I like this (thanks Vishu):
        The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

        I have always thought that people who think ahead of their times are time travellers, Gandhiji and Fukuoka San were such people. That's a nice theme for a documentary film!!
        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        That's nice but first timers like me need much detailed and step by step
        guide to be successful natural farmers. Currently I am learning it in the
        hard way.

        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > http://www.deccanherald.com/content/173611/back-natural-farming.html
        >
        > --
        > Vishu
        >
        > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
        >
        > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

        Boovarahan S
        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
          The hard way is the only real way to learn! Make your own mistakes. Don't tread on set paths. Find your own methods!

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
            Amen :)
            agree totally

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
              Dear friend,
              You are correct this year my many seed balls are failed because I am living
              with many dogs. Dogs are not allowing wild cats. Therefore rats and Squirrel
              moving freely and removing seeds,than i tried direct seeding but peacocks
              picked many in open places.Therefore I am transplanting in damaged places.
              Thanks
              Raju

              On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > The hard way is the only real way to learn! Make your own mistakes. Don't
              > tread on set paths. Find your own methods!
              >

              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > That's nice but first timers like me need much detailed and step by step
              > > guide to be successful natural farmers. Currently I am learning it in the
              > > hard way.
              > >
              > > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > http://www.deccanherald.com/content/173611/back-natural-farming.html
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Vishu
              > > >
              > > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
              > > >
              > > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
              > happens

              > > --
              > > Boovarahan S
              > > Chennai.
              > > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
              +919179738049.
              http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
                "Touch the fire and you will get burnt " and I don't want to test this .
                What I want to stress is to avoid such mishappenings.

                By learning the experiences of other NFs and adapting them to the local
                conditions one can avoid failures and frusturations .

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
                  LOL Rajuji you are blessed to be living in such surroundings. I wish I had peacocks which take everything I plant.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
                    I don't think Daniel meant that you HAVE to get burnt. I think he means we definitely should learn from mistakes and experience others have made but since your conditions of soil climate etc. are different, you will normally to learn the hard way.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 7, 2011
                      That is also true. I don't need to rely on my growing of food for my income or nutrition (for now anyways), so I have the leisure to really experiment (and utterly fail sometimes).
                      There is wisdom in observing and learning from the mistakes of others though!

                      Daniel

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 8, 2011
                        The problem is , a number of NFs are investing their hard earned money in
                        agriculture and they don't rely on farming for their livelihood. That's why
                        when we NFs say something new ( or age old ? ) to other farmers who
                        primarily thrive on agricultural income , we are laughed at and at the best
                        we have to face the comment that they can not afford to experiment on their
                        livelihoods. At least I am finding this problem in my village.

                        Not all things are to be personally experienced but some things we can learn
                        from watching and knowing about others' experiences. And that is what I want
                        to stress . Cataloguing the NF methodology is one such things which can
                        safeguard newcomers from the pitfalls.

                        When veterans like Sri Rajuji have to adjust and modify the farming methods
                        to suit the local conditions we lesser beings in NF should definitely look
                        up to them to know their experiences , advices and remedies too.

                        On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > That is also true. I don't need to rely on my growing of food for my income
                        > or nutrition (for now anyways), so I have the leisure to really experiment
                        > (and utterly fail sometimes).
                        > There is wisdom in observing and learning from the mistakes of others
                        > though!
                        >
                        > Daniel
                        >

                        > Boovarahan S

                        Chennai.
                        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                      • Jean Villafuerte
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 8, 2011
                          Hi Raju,

                          Please post feeds formula for Hog raising.

                          Thanks,

                          jean
                          http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                          http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                          http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                          http://www.tcformoc.com/
                          http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                          visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                          ________________________________
                          You are correct this year my many seed balls are failed because I am living
                          with many dogs. Dogs are not allowing wild cats. Therefore rats and Squirrel
                          moving freely  and removing seeds,than i tried direct seeding but peacocks
                          picked many in open places.Therefore I am transplanting in damaged places.
                          Thanks
                          Raju

                          On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > The hard way is the only real way to learn! Make your own mistakes. Don't
                          > tread on set paths. Find your own methods!
                          >

                          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > That's nice but first timers like me need much detailed and step by step
                          > > guide to be successful natural farmers. Currently I am learning it in the
                          > > hard way.
                          > >
                          > > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          > > >

                          > > > http://www.deccanherald.com/content/173611/back-natural-farming.html
                          > > >
                          > > > --
                          > > > Vishu
                          > > >
                          > > > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
                          > > >
                          > > > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
                          > happens

                          > > --
                          > > Boovarahan S
                          > > Chennai.
                          > > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                          Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                          +919179738049.
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                          fukuoka_farming yahoogroup

                        • Nandan Palaparambil
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 9, 2011
                            Agree with the point that lot of us can experiment in NF while true farmers can not. If we have many working models in converting to NF from conventional farming, people may be interested. One person told me that earlier when chemical farming started, chemical companies had set demonstration plots applying chemicals and showed how it boosted the harvest, anyway that was part of the business strategy.

                            Regards,
                            Nandan

                            The problem is , a number of NFs are investing their hard earned money in

                            agriculture and they don't rely on farming for their livelihood. That's why

                            when we NFs say something new ( or age old ? ) to other farmers who

                            primarily thrive on agricultural income , we are laughed at and at the best

                            we have to face the comment that they can not afford to experiment on their

                            livelihoods. At least I am finding this problem in my village.

                            Not all things are to be personally experienced but some things we can learn

                            from watching and knowing about others' experiences. And that is what I want

                            to stress . Cataloguing the NF methodology is one such things which can

                            safeguard newcomers from the pitfalls.

                            When veterans like Sri Rajuji have to adjust and modify the farming methods

                            to suit the local conditions we lesser beings in NF should definitely look

                            up to them to know their experiences , advices and remedies too.

                            On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

                            > **

                            > That is also true. I don't need to rely on my growing of food for my income

                            > or nutrition (for now anyways), so I have the leisure to really experiment

                            > (and utterly fail sometimes).

                            > There is wisdom in observing and learning from the mistakes of others

                            > though!

                            > Daniel

                            > Boovarahan S

                            Chennai.

                            09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                          • Raju Titus
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 10, 2011
                              Dear Nandan,
                              Natural farming is not business.N.F is not promoting any machine and
                              chemical that's so why is not spreading fast. Indian traditional way of
                              farming which was near to nature sustained thousands of year but destroyed
                              by the companies in just few years.In TF farmers are mostly growing for
                              self and only surplus they sell in emergency and not using any imported
                              item.In M.P. govt. is in big trouble due to company based farming every time
                              farmers shouting for more and more.Purchasing grain on high prize to
                              support farmers and grain which is in surplus lying in open in rain land
                              becoming desert due to soil erosion farmers are committing suicide.N.F. is
                              the solution based on do nothing is not sporting any company item therefore
                              not only govt but N.G.O's are also going away.
                              Raju

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 10, 2011
                                Since corporates aren't making money so no one is advertising it. I mean why should they?That is the reason why we must do what we can to popularize it in whatever way we can. That is the reason for the meeting I proposed. The idea isn't just us meeting. We can also call the local farmers to come and see what we have to offer them. Maybe we could organize talks with a multimedia show for them. I will also get press coverage for the event. This can become an important event in itself which could be repeated in other places in India and around the world. We could have people either go over or send video messages for these meetings to show solidarity to NF practitioners all over the world.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 10, 2011
                                  That means all farmers are expected to lead simple life styles. While this
                                  was the case in the past , it is no longer so. People are mad after money
                                  and fear of safety about future , medical emergencies, luxuries in life etc.
                                  which make them run after money , that too quick money. That's why Fukuoka
                                  made his interns lead a simple life in the huts with bare minimum
                                  facilities.

                                  Will it hold water in today's conditions ?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 10, 2011
                                    The way things are going, even for the US economy, I think we better prepare for it. see this video
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQv-sdMCClQ

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 11, 2011
                                      Dear Boovarahan,

                                      you explaind exactly what it mean by "NF is not a business"
                                      although farmer can earn desent income from NF there are many examples and one of them is Shri. Bashkar Save and Ashok Singhvi..
                                      for me it is necessary to tell farmers that NF dosn't mean that they can't earn from it other wise no farmer will come to it, its quite natural all wants good education, health etc.. for there children...

                                      Regards
                                      Ashok Pokhriyal

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 11, 2011
                                        I agree . It is definitely possible to earn a decent income form NF and
                                        people can be contented. But the present day life makes everybody run for
                                        "Gimme more " . When the simple life styles and contentment of heart are
                                        lost due to lust and desire for more and more material comforts , man's life
                                        starts to change to the worse.

                                        Though one can earn good income throug NF , making farmers realise this
                                        thing is a difficult one. Even if one practices NF and gets a decent income
                                        , other farmers will not accept this and they may go on atrributing
                                        different factors for the isolated success of the NF. When I tried the tea
                                        cup method of sugarcane farming people were sceptical . Weh even after
                                        seeing the good sprouting of sugarcane seedling they don't want to change
                                        their mindset of tilling , weeding etc.

                                        Success may or may not come in my way , but I am hell bent upon sticking to
                                        NF methods. And I don't expect to find at least a few farmers with such
                                        conviction.
                                        When Nandan could get just 4 kilos of paddy from NF but still continues to
                                        gon in the NF way with conviction , I admire him but I know how much
                                        brickbats he would have had to face. And all I can do is to pray to God to
                                        make Nandan a successful NF so that he won't have to face any more
                                        criticisms from fellow farmers.

                                        One good news is that most of the seed balls I had scattered last week have
                                        started sprouting . The village received good rains after a couple of days
                                        we scattered them and my caretaker has phoned me up to convey the good news.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 11, 2011
                                          Dear friends,
                                          What I realize in last many years of N.F. is that first natural farmer grow
                                          for him self and save money and health and after if he get extra sell in
                                          market in normal prize.But many farmers are directly growing natural items
                                          for market in higher prize and purchasing polluted food them self. All
                                          natural food ,water,and air is medicine and are related.
                                          Thanks
                                          Raju

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 11, 2011
                                            Another interesting fact is that farmers who grow rice , grains etc under
                                            chemical farming , usually reserve a small area of their farms for their
                                            personal use and grow their grains without applying any chemicals for their
                                            own consumption . When I asked them about the morality and sin of selling
                                            chemically grown grains which are harmful to health , they just evade my
                                            question and don't answer directly.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 11, 2011
                                              The key word is contentment.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 12, 2011
                                                Sad but very, very true Boovarahan.  We have actually experienced that among farmers in the Philippines, particularly Ormoc.