Newbie experimental farmer in Uttarakhand

  • richapant
    Message 1 of 59 , Jul 1, 2011
      Dear group ,
      My name is Richa and I am new to this group. I heard about Masanobu Fukuoka from my father, who has taken to farming after his retirement from the Indian army.

      We have recently acquired 5 acres of land in the Uttarakhand hills, not far from Jeolikot.

      We are currently exploring the best organic practices that we should employ for our little farming project. I hope to learn a lot from the experienced members on this group.

      If anyone of you are visiting the hills in October, please do come over to the farm, to brainstorm on how best to farm and preserve the fragile ecology of the hills.

      Thanks
      Richa

      http://himalayanfarmproject.blogspot.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Himalayan-Farm-Project/158396854230057
    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
      Message 59 of 59 , Jul 21, 2011
        I think all structures need additional precautions in seismic zones.
        An easier alternative is to lay vertical and horizontal poles of bamboo /
        casuarina from basement to roof and tie them to form a skeleton structure
        and go ahead with earth ramming.

        On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Do bigha Zameen <dobighazameen@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Dear sumant,
        >
        > How does rammed earth construction cope with tremors ? We also hope to
        > build a
        > place soon after this rains......
        >
        > Arjun
        >

        > Boovarahan S

        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)