Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sourcing Tree Seeds in Bangalore

  • Vishu Shetty
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
      happy to read your experience and your observation on the plants. Would love
      to visit your farm when I am traveling to that part of Karnataka.

      On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Harish,
      >
      > I was in a similar situation about a year ago. Luckily, I am in a smaller
      > town, so the frustration is milder! I was not so particular about growing
      > trees from seeds, but I was particular that I wanted to plant 'local'
      > variety trees and not the hybrids. Here, in Dharwad, most nursaries have
      > local variety. They grow saplings from seeds and roots. I bought about 100
      > teak saplings and planted them in the last rainy season and all of them are
      > growing well, without any human intervention. We do not even have a fence!
      > However the location does matter. Our farm is in the malnad area, so trees
      > grow vigorously. We are only a few km away from the (Dandeli) forest.
      >
      > A definite help in Bangalore is http://www.sahajasamrudha.org/. A few
      > years
      > ago, when I was in Bangalore, I visited a one acre farm, off Tumkur road.
      > The farm belongs a Mr. Shetty, who works/volunteers for Sahaja Samrudha.
      > His
      > one acre farm had over 5000 trees, all grown naturally.
      >
      > For the fruit bearing trees, this year, we are growing them from seeds.
      > With
      > some experience, you can make out the difference between a hybrid and a
      > local variety. Mango, Jack Fruit, Jamun, Chickoo, Guava, Custard Apple,
      > Tamarind - many such large trees can be grown from seeds. We have
      > successfully made saplings out of these. Ashwatha - Arali is in abundance
      > in
      > Bangalore. It grows at crazy places, such as compound walls etc. You can
      > try
      > transplanting one such sapling. One cannot grow this tree from a seed, I
      > understand. Someone told me that the seed of this tree is so hard, that it
      > requires a bird to part-digest the seed before it can germinate. So,
      > apparently, this tree grows out of bird shit!
      >
      > The other crazy experience that I had was with the 'Honge' tree. We
      > searched
      > hard for this tree in nursaries and got a couple and planted them. They are
      > growing well. However this rainy season, I see that there are tens of these
      > saplings just outside the farm! A similar experience with 'Muthalu'. We got
      > a sapling from a far away place. This year, there are about 10 plants,
      > which
      > have grown naturally in the farm.
      >
      > Hope that helps!
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harish Amur
      >
      > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Harish Somayaji
      > <harishsomayaji@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      >

      > > Hello Everyone
      > >
      > > Recently, I have bought a piece of land, roughly about 5.5 acres. I plan
      > >
      > > start a natural farm there, and am scouting for seeds of trees. So far I
      > > have not been successful with the nurseries in and around Bangalore. Any
      > > help from this group members will be highly appreciated. Thanks in
> [...]

      Vishu

      http://titli.bikingvikings.com

      The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

    • Harish Somayaji
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
        Hi Vishu

        Yes, the Agri Univ is a good source for saplings. But, I was hoping to grow
        some of the trees from seeds - Coral Tree, Sage-leaf, Black siris, Cashew,
        Cotton Tree, Camphor, Rosewood, Indian Cork Tree etc. Thanks

        Regards