Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sourcing Tree Seeds in Bangalore

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
      Hi Harish,

      I was in a similar situation about a year ago. Luckily, I am in a smaller
      town, so the frustration is milder! I was not so particular about growing
      trees from seeds, but I was particular that I wanted to plant 'local'
      variety trees and not the hybrids. Here, in Dharwad, most nursaries have
      local variety. They grow saplings from seeds and roots. I bought about 100
      teak saplings and planted them in the last rainy season and all of them are
      growing well, without any human intervention. We do not even have a fence!
      However the location does matter. Our farm is in the malnad area, so trees
      grow vigorously. We are only a few km away from the (Dandeli) forest.

      A definite help in Bangalore is http://www.sahajasamrudha.org/. A few years
      ago, when I was in Bangalore, I visited a one acre farm, off Tumkur road.
      The farm belongs a Mr. Shetty, who works/volunteers for Sahaja Samrudha. His
      one acre farm had over 5000 trees, all grown naturally.

      For the fruit bearing trees, this year, we are growing them from seeds. With
      some experience, you can make out the difference between a hybrid and a
      local variety. Mango, Jack Fruit, Jamun, Chickoo, Guava, Custard Apple,
      Tamarind - many such large trees can be grown from seeds. We have
      successfully made saplings out of these. Ashwatha - Arali is in abundance in
      Bangalore. It grows at crazy places, such as compound walls etc. You can try
      transplanting one such sapling. One cannot grow this tree from a seed, I
      understand. Someone told me that the seed of this tree is so hard, that it
      requires a bird to part-digest the seed before it can germinate. So,
      apparently, this tree grows out of bird shit!

      The other crazy experience that I had was with the 'Honge' tree. We searched
      hard for this tree in nursaries and got a couple and planted them. They are
      growing well. However this rainy season, I see that there are tens of these
      saplings just outside the farm! A similar experience with 'Muthalu'. We got
      a sapling from a far away place. This year, there are about 10 plants, which
      have grown naturally in the farm.

      Hope that helps!

      Regards,
      Harish Amur

      On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Harish Somayaji
      <harishsomayaji@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello Everyone
      >
      > Recently, I have bought a piece of land, roughly about 5.5 acres. I plan to
      >
      > start a natural farm there, and am scouting for seeds of trees. So far I
      > have not been successful with the nurseries in and around Bangalore. Any
      > help from this group members will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Regards
      > Harish

    • Vishu Shetty
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
        happy to read your experience and your observation on the plants. Would love
        to visit your farm when I am traveling to that part of Karnataka.

        On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > growing well. However this rainy season, I see that there are tens of these
        > saplings just outside the farm! A similar experience with 'Muthalu'. We got
        > a sapling from a far away place. This year, there are about 10 plants,
        > which
        > have grown naturally in the farm.
        >
        > Hope that helps!
        >
        > Regards,
        > Harish Amur
        >
        > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Harish Somayaji
        > <harishsomayaji@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        >

        > > Hello Everyone
        > >
        > > Recently, I have bought a piece of land, roughly about 5.5 acres. I plan
        > >
        > > start a natural farm there, and am scouting for seeds of trees. So far I
        > > have not been successful with the nurseries in and around Bangalore. Any
        > > help from this group members will be highly appreciated. Thanks in

        Vishu

        http://titli.bikingvikings.com

        The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

      • Harish Somayaji
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
          Hi Vishu

          Yes, the Agri Univ is a good source for saplings. But, I was hoping to grow
          some of the trees from seeds - Coral Tree, Sage-leaf, Black siris, Cashew,
          Cotton Tree, Camphor, Rosewood, Indian Cork Tree etc. Thanks

          Regards