interesting websites

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2011
      Here are a couple of interesting websites from our perspective.This website is about the ICE or The International Community for Eco-psychology. ICE is an informal, international, interdisciplinary virtual community devoted to reflecting on the questions which arise from an eco-psychological viewpoint.http://www.ecopsychology.org/
      And this is a site for information on resilience and confidence.
      http://www.centreforconfidence.co.uk/index.php
      also here is a downloadable bookhttp://library.wur.nl/frontis/farming_for_health/09_haugan.pdf
      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

    • Travellingatthespeedofthought
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
        Dear Sumantji

        My name is Zachary Barton and I am new to the group. I have registered as a
        user, but none of my messages are being posted. Sorry to email your directly (I
        hope you don't mind), but I see that you are quite active in the group and I am
        wondering if you could please let me know what the problem is. I have tried to
        send an email for posting and have also tried to post directly from the site.
        Neither has worked. Please see my post below and let me know if you have any
        advice. Thanks!

        Zac

        (My message - I would like to post)

        I just got hooked up with the Fukuoka Farmers Group and I am happy to see that
        you guys are out there.

        I am a Canadian living in Nepal for the last 8 years and bought some land and
        started farming about 5 years ago. I have gained most of my experience by just
        working with other farmers around me, but have also gone through many books on
        permaculture, bio-dynamics and of course my favorite, "do nothing" farming.
        After reading Fukuoka Ji I was deeply moved on a spiritual level. His words
        went deep down into my soul and pulled out some ancient-tribal feelings which
        have brought me closer to God and to nature.

        Anyways, I mostly farm rice, sometimes wheat, corn, black sesame, mustard,
        vegetables and have just started a mixed fruit/medicine orchard. This year
        will be the last year that I plow my fields, as I will be attempting the "no
        plow" method with winter wheat. The people in the village already think I am
        crazy for all the different things I try to do and they will not like this one
        either. I am sure it will take a few years before I even get the basics of the
        "no plow" system down, which means years of them making fun of me for being the
        crazy foreigner farmer. But I can take it.

        I would really love to hear from some of the rice farmers out there. I am in
        the far south-east corner of Nepal, right where the Indian Plains meets the
        foothills of the great Himalayans. I can grow almost anything here and we have
        great soil and almost no problems for water. I am also looking for some good
        seeds, especially for some vegetables crops and some hard to find medicinal
        trees and plants. It is impossible to find good seeds in Nepal these days as
        the government has done nothing to help preserve local varieties and hybrids
        are everywhere.

        Yeah, so it's good to meet you all. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

        Zac

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
          dear friends,
          I am growing rice in the ground cover of Parthenium. Good rain so i
          scattered seed balls in the cover and waiting for germination after
          germination of rice i will roll cover to press with simple manually driven
          crimpr roller .
          https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B2GR3FBI6dktWlk_nvkj_w?feat=directlink
          thanks
          Raju

          On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Travellingatthespeedofthought <
          zacworldwide@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > crazy foreigner farmer. But I can take it.
          >
          > I would really love to hear from some of the rice farmers out there. I am
          > in
          > the far south-east corner of Nepal, right where the Indian Plains meets the
          >
          > foothills of the great Himalayans. I can grow almost anything here and we
          > have
          > great soil and almost no problems for water. I am also looking for some
          > good
          > seeds, especially for some vegetables crops and some hard to find medicinal
          >
          > trees and plants. It is impossible to find good seeds in Nepal these days
          > as
          > the government has done nothing to help preserve local varieties and
          > hybrids
          > are everywhere.
          >
          > Yeah, so it's good to meet you all. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

          Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
          +919179738049.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
            Dear Zac,Welcome to the group. I too am quite surprised about this. I can see that this post has been received by members, however the none before have been received. If you could kindly send me the entire post including the headings, we could find out the reason. I mean maybe there are others who have the same problems and haven't been able to get through.
            You are most welcome to contact any member directly on this group. I may be active but I am not experienced as many others here are. The idea here is to help one another in any way possible. Oh, we do have our differences of opinion :), but thats all right as long as these are expressed politely.
            And people, please dispense with the 'ji' for me. I have yet to earn it. Dear Sumant is fine enough.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              Dear Zac,I am sure you have read most of the posts here and already know that it will be an uphill task, trying to adopt the Fukuoka method, depending on the condition of your soil. I hope you have seen all the videos too, especially the one from Auroville which shows you exactly what mulching means.

              zacworldwide@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > crazy foreigner farmer. But I can take it.
              >
              > I would really love to hear from some of the rice farmers out there. I am
              > in
              > the far south-east corner of Nepal, right where the Indian Plains meets the
              >
              > foothills of the great Himalayans. I can grow almost anything here and we
              > have
              > great soil and almost no problems for water. I am also looking for some
              > good
              > seeds, especially for some vegetables crops and some hard to find medicinal
              >
              > trees and plants. It is impossible to find good seeds in Nepal these days
              > as
              > the government has done nothing to help preserve local varieties and
              > hybrids
              > are everywhere.
              >
              > Yeah, so it's good to meet you all. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

            • Tp India
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                Sumantji
                Namaste,Can you post a link for videos regarding your lines on auroville mulching?I tried search but failed.
                Thanks
                Tpi

              • tpindia@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                  Mr.Raju,
                  Thanks for photo of manual roller but please explain this line of yours for better understandings for a new member like me"scattered seed balls in the cover and waiting for germination after
                  germination of rice i will roll cover to press with simple manually driven"...
                  I have a little confusion wether this roller can also press the germinated seedballs or not.sorry for my poor understandings.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Dear friend,
                    Thank you very much for reply. Yes it will press some of germinated seed
                    balls but not damage small seedlings.Direct rolling after seeding seedballs
                    also possible. After rolling scattering seed balls is also possible. Direct
                    seeding (naked seeds) in cover and rolling is also possible. One can also
                    use this very simple equipment for pressing cover.
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QIydKIR_HuqbTSvILD7Usw?feat=directlink
                    I made this with the help of angle iron, like it very much because am is
                    heavy weight person.Green mulch helps in many ways it control weeds,conserve
                    moisture,protect seeds from birds and rats. Many small insects and worms
                    works under green cover make soil fertile and pouras.
                    In many place where rolling is not possible I cut cover but I found crimping
                    is better.
                    Thanks
                    Raju

                  • sumant_jo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Namaste. here it is

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0xmEDq3NIs&playnext=1&list=PL15F0B9627DF36CFC

                      regards

                      sumant

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                        Namaste. Here it is

                        From: Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>

                        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 3:39 AM

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                          Namaste again and thanks a millions for this video,it was treat watching the magic of nature,truly enjoyed indeed!
                          regards
                          Tpi

                          > Namaste,Can you post a link for videos regarding your lines on auroville mulching?I tried search but failed.
                          > Thanks
                          > Tpi

                        • KONSTANTINOS
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2011
                            Hello Raju,

                            Once again thank you for putting up the photographs.

                            This is a very, very important tool for natural farming.

                            In the past we discussed the problems caused by the use of machines such as the weed wackers - they tend to shred the grass and plants to small pieces, consequently the summer sun and wind destroy the organic matter, leaving the ground exposed to the sun. I have seen this first hand - the areas in my farm that were cut with the weed wacker remained bare all summer - it was not until next spring that these areas were covered by grass. The areas cut by the scythe were in better shape, but the grass ended up piled in different spots.

                            With this tool the grass lays down and covers the earth uniformly.

                            As mentioned previously it can be used with equipment such as a pick up truck or a tractor for large areas. Here care must be exercised that the land is dry, and will not be compacted by the heavy machines - compaction will undo all the good work being done by the natural farming method and turn the earth in a cement floor where the roots of the plants will have a hard time penetrating the soil.

                            Again Thank You
                            Kostas