Re: [fukuoka_farming] Pruning

  • Troy Santos
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
      Is there a "natural way" for humans to live? It occurs to me to answer
      no. Seems to me that "nature's laws" apply to human behavior just as
      well as to any other action. What we do certainly has consequences.
      And, I wouldn't say that there are "laws" just consequences /
      another. Behavior begets consequences, which begets more consequences,
      and so on, with no end. There is no such thing as breaking nature's
      laws, just consequences from doing this and doing that. The cycle ...
      the wheel. Karma and the effects of karma. Cause and affect.

      Sometimes we humans say that we behave unnaturally. Then how SHOULD we
      behave? For example, if we habitually break "nature's laws" with
      respect to eating, then, what, we might get sick, right? The sickenss
      is a consequence. Same with wild animals. They sometimes get sick.

      I do say that we're pretty far out of touch with nature, so we live in
      haphazard ways, but still, we're just subject to nature's laws.

      When an animal breaks a branch from a tree ... I don't know, but I
      suppose that tree may very well develop in ways that a tree that has
      been pruned might develop. So maybe it won't develop in ways that it
      will never be "perfect". I wouldn't say that the resultant form of the
      tree is unnatural. What's so unnatural about an elephant breaking a
      branch, or a monkey jumping from a tree? And why should the form that
      the tree takes as a result be called unnatural? How can anything not
      be affected by EVERYthing else? Doesn't everything affect everything
      else, even though we are unaware of most everything that happens?

      To sum up all this, there is nothing natural or unnatural. Things
      happen ... that's all.

      Surely I'm also missing something. Help me see what I'm missing, please.

      One of the things I like most about Fukuoka-san is his emphasis on
      farming as a way for humans to become complete, perfect, or ... what
      is that quote of his? Love it.

      Smile ... no worries.
      Troy.

      On 23/06/2011, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:
      > You have a point I I also thought the same thing when I first read it. You
      > know I live in a country where pruning is as natural as breathing. Why not
      > try pruning as if we were elephants or monkeys? Those animals rarely go
      > around with a saw or secateurs. Just a thought. And no, I am not joking.
      > best
      > RUTHIE
      >
      > 2011/6/23 Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Fukuoka san writes about pruning and the natural form of trees in his
      >> books.
      >> To quote from the OSR:
      >>
      >> "If a single new bud is snipped off a fruit tree with a pair of scissors,
      >> that may bring about disorder which cannot be undone. When growing
      >> according
      >> to the natural form, branches spread alternately from the trunk and the
      >> leaves receive sunlight uniformly. If this sequence is disrupted the
      >> branches come into conflict, lie one upon another and become tangled, and
      >> the leaves wither in the places where the sun cannot penetrate. Insect
      >> damage develops. If the tree is not pruned the following year more
      >> withered
      >> branches will appear."
      >>
      >> When animals in a forest break the branches intentionally for food like
      >> the
      >> elephant or unintentionally like a jumping monkey, will that also result
      >> in
      >> the unnatural forms and resultant problems? But, animals except man are
      >> assumed to behave according to natural laws and act in compliance. Then
      >> how
      >> do these acts of altering natural forms confirm to nature? Any thing or
      >> place untouched by humans seems so perfectly in balance for millions of
      >> years. I am missing something here.
      >>
      >> Just some passing thoughts. Comments welcome.
      >>
      >> Regards
      >> Yugandhar

    • Troy Santos
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
        Boy, I'm really glad you asked this question. I've recently made the
        decision to get more sensible with how I live my life. Want "better"
        consequences from my actions.

        Thanks.

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
          LOL. on the same lines, take a look at this video
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
            The moment we interfere in the name of cultivation , naturalness ends. Only
            the degree of artificiality matters.

            Boovarahan S
            Chennai.
            09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

          • Daniel
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
              I can only speak of my own limited experience. But it is very interesting nonetheless, I think.

              I have seen many grafted Jackfruit trees here in Thailand. None of them exhibited natural growth. The branches were growing all over the place; the trees looked very unstable (and unhealthy) and heavy fruits were carried far from the main stem on lateral branches that often break under their weight.
              I have also seen many Jackfruit trees that were planted from seed, and were never pruned. When not yet so old (15 years or so), they have a typical cone-shape (tall and quite narrow) with a very clearly defined central leader. And all fruit only grows on this main central stem. Being a physics teacher, I immediately so the wisdom of the tree for doing this. Keeping heavy fruits on the central leader makes sure the tree remains very stable.
              Very old trees I saw in the forest seem to lose this clear cone-shape though.

              I also planted quite a few natural Jackfruit seedlings myself. One day I was cutting a bunch of bananas nearby, and unfortunately a big banana leaf fell on my seedling and nipped off the still fragile top of the central leader. The tree was about 2 m high at that time. I thought, "Oh no, that's it. The tree's natural shape is gone forever."
              But to my amazement, one new bud erupted near the top of the broken central leader branch, and continued to develop into the new central leader.
              From my studies in Biology and Fukuoka's work, I thought this was impossible. But by next year, I could barely recognize the original break, and the tree continued to develop its natural form.

              I think the true form of a Jackfruit tree may be "remembered" by the whole tree, as long as the tree is grown from seed with undisturbed taproots (direct seeding). This was just one observation... I hope others have more information to add.

              Daniel

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

              > Fukuoka san writes about pruning and the natural form of trees in his books.
              > To quote from the OSR:
              >
              > "If a single new bud is snipped off a fruit tree with a pair of scissors,
              > that may bring about disorder which cannot be undone. When growing according
              > to the natural form, branches spread alternately from the trunk and the
              > leaves receive sunlight uniformly. If this sequence is disrupted the
              > branches come into conflict, lie one upon another and become tangled, and
              > the leaves wither in the places where the sun cannot penetrate. Insect
              > damage develops. If the tree is not pruned the following year more withered
              > branches will appear."
              >
              > When animals in a forest break the branches intentionally for food like the
              > elephant or unintentionally like a jumping monkey, will that also result in
              > the unnatural forms and resultant problems? But, animals except man are
              > assumed to behave according to natural laws and act in compliance. Then how
              > do these acts of altering natural forms confirm to nature? Any thing or
              > place untouched by humans seems so perfectly in balance for millions of
              > years. I am missing something here.
              >
              > Just some passing thoughts. Comments welcome.
              >
              > Regards
              > Yugandhar

            • Boovarahan Srinivasan
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
                That's nice. That means nature has a built in mechanism to guard the tree
                growth from inadvertant accidents , but what about the man made intentional
                cuttings and prunings ?

                On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I can only speak of my own limited experience. But it is very interesting
                > nonetheless, I think.
                >
                > I have seen many grafted Jackfruit trees here in Thailand. None of them
                > exhibited natural growth. The branches were growing all over the place; the
                > trees looked very unstable (and unhealthy) and heavy fruits were carried far
                > from the main stem on lateral branches that often break under their weight.
                > I have also seen many Jackfruit trees that were planted from seed, and were
                > never pruned. When not yet so old (15 years or so), they have a typical
                > cone-shape (tall and quite narrow) with a very clearly defined central
                > leader. And all fruit only grows on this main central stem. Being a physics
                > teacher, I immediately so the wisdom of the tree for doing this. Keeping
                > heavy fruits on the central leader makes sure the tree remains very stable.
                > Very old trees I saw in the forest seem to lose this clear cone-shape
                > though.
                >
                > I also planted quite a few natural Jackfruit seedlings myself. One day I
                > was cutting a bunch of bananas nearby, and unfortunately a big banana leaf
                > fell on my seedling and nipped off the still fragile top of the central
                > leader. The tree was about 2 m high at that time. I thought, "Oh no, that's
                > it. The tree's natural shape is gone forever."
                > But to my amazement, one new bud erupted near the top of the broken central
                > leader branch, and continued to develop into the new central leader.
                > From my studies in Biology and Fukuoka's work, I thought this was
                > impossible. But by next year, I could barely recognize the original break,
                > and the tree continued to develop its natural form.
                >
                > I think the true form of a Jackfruit tree may be "remembered" by the whole
                > tree, as long as the tree is grown from seed with undisturbed taproots
                > (direct seeding). This was just one observation... I hope others have more
                > information to add.
                >
                > Daniel
                >

                > Boovarahan S

                Chennai.
                09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              • Ruthie Aquino
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
                  Boovarahanji, Sumantji, Daniel, Troy, and all,
                  I think in this group we have found a person, Mr. Fukuoka, whose life work
                  inspires us. In my case, he inspires me because he seems nearly perfectly
                  happy with his lifestyle while deeply respecting all other living things
                  around him. He does not promise riches or popularity. He promises
                  nothing. He just lived his happy, inspirational life.
                  What I also like is he opened a new door to me, that of non- or minimal
                  intervention on nature. Just like a little girl to whom he is saying, just
                  wait and see, it's magical, it works all by itself.
                  I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Indian publisher Other
                  India Press who made the One Straw Revolution available to me at a low price
                  despite the good quality of the paper and the impeccable printing.
                  I wish it published his other books, too, so I could buy them at a similarly
                  low price.
                  best
                  RUTHIE

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 23, 2011
                    As said several times, natural farming is a part of being with nature. And
                    it is not a profession but a way of life which one should enjoy at every
                    moment. The moment you think of a balance sheet on farming , the charm is
                    lost for ever.
                    This is my personal view.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 24, 2011
                      Some more philosophy.

                      For those familiar with Western philosophical thought: It may be that in Plato's realm of Ideas (as analogue perhaps the Spiritual Plane on which the "spirit" of a tree resides), every 'blueprint' or 'idea' of a tree may have a perfect shape. But down here on the planet, it is nigh on impossible for any living and growing thing to attain that truly perfect intended form, even if never touched by pruning hook and saw.
                      It is true though, I think, that the more we want to "correct" a tree, the more it will grow out of sync with its original "plan". I think this is what Fukuoka meant with his true shape of a tree. The more we tamper, the further we go astray. That said, I think it also means that we shouldn't expect perfection by "doing nothing". Things happen down here, yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that.

                      Daniel

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:

                      > As said several times, natural farming is a part of being with nature. And
                      > it is not a profession but a way of life which one should enjoy at every
                      > moment. The moment you think of a balance sheet on farming , the charm is
                      > lost for ever.
                      > This is my personal view.
                      >
                      > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > Boovarahanji, Sumantji, Daniel, Troy, and all,
                      > > I think in this group we have found a person, Mr. Fukuoka, whose life work
                      > > inspires us. In my case, he inspires me because he seems nearly perfectly
                      > > happy with his lifestyle while deeply respecting all other living things
                      > > around him. He does not promise riches or popularity. He promises
                      > > nothing. He just lived his happy, inspirational life.
                      > > What I also like is he opened a new door to me, that of non- or minimal
                      > > intervention on nature. Just like a little girl to whom he is saying, just
                      > > wait and see, it's magical, it works all by itself.
                      > > I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Indian publisher Other
                      > > India Press who made the One Straw Revolution available to me at a low
                      > > price
                      > > despite the good quality of the paper and the impeccable printing.
                      > > I wish it published his other books, too, so I could buy them at a
                      > > similarly
                      > > low price.
                      > > best
                      > > RUTHIEBoovarahan S
                      > >
                      > Chennai.
                      > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                    • Yugandhar S
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 19, 2011
                        Dear All,
                        Thanks for your valuable insights.