quick note on water preservation/desirable weeds

  • Judy Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hi all
      Just another quick weed rant here--you've all come to know this is my
      obsession by now. One of the best ways I know to retain water in the garden
      during the heat of the summer is to let the chickweed grow. It is an
      excellent and nutritious food in its own right and makes a wonderful living
      mulch for plants without being obnoxious. It is very "watery" and keeps the
      soil underneath amazingly cool and moist. It also helps prevent grasses and
      noxious weeds from sprouting. Best thing is chickweed is very
      shallow-rooted, so it easy to move aside when you want to make room for a
      cultivated plant--just spread it apart with your hands or pull it up and use
      it for mulch around the new plant. If it crowding out your cultivated
      plants, you can easily pull it up (harvest it, that is!) without damaging
      the roots of surroundng plants.
      I'm definitely including chickweed seed in my next round of seedballs. Seems
      like it would also be a good groundcover for fruit trees and such.
      Judy