Ginger and its rhyzome

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hi Everybody,

      Yesterday Leland asked for some quick facts about growing ginger. Ginger and its fellow rhyzomal (horizontal root-growing) plants, tumeric and galangal, are tropical plants that thrive in Hawaii, India, parts China and microclimates in the continental US that approach tropical conditions (naturally or artifically). Zingiber officinale is the common edible ginger, ground up as an essential ingredient in culinary dishes and often used to prevent or reduce symptoms of morning sickness and sea-sickness.

      Many other types of ginger are prized for their showy (vertical) flowers.

      In my backyard, at least, ginger is not a tough "come-what-may" survival plant like leeks, chives, perilla, turnips, radishes, and buckwheat; it is fussy and unpredictable. I've never been able to make off-the-shelf grocery or health food store ginger-root grow; only ginger from a nursery has worked for me. The Stokes Tropicals Catalog http://www.stokestropicalscom provides a quick photgraphic overview of the many kinds of ginger, and also sells a couple of books on the characteristics and uses of the plant. More exotic varieties appear on the ethnic Chinese plant and seed URL http://www.natureproducts.net , a site that deserves the adjective "unique" and that Larry might want to examine for possible inclusion in our links.

      Bob Monie