Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Waterless Gardening and other ideas

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      Thanks for the link Larry. I've a passing interest in high density planting
      since I noticed my sunflowers flourishing in stands of up to four. Anne had
      planted four seeds in each hole and with good germination there were places
      with 3 and 4 sunflowers per 4 inch square, I thought of thinning them but
      being a complete and utter beginner I thought again and decided it would be
      instructive to see how they fared across the summer. Considering they got to
      2 metres and more without watering I was amazed. I started looking around
      for similar natural high density stands and found many, I especially
      remember sitting on the banks of the Aude river and seeing clumps of trees
      in clumps of 5 or 6. Not saplings but large, mature trees. Obviously they
      had all the water they wanted there, but it helped liberate me from the idea
      of regular equalised plantings - or at least for certain plants. Does anyone
      have more information on this high density companionality (is this a word?)
      and species that favour such planting.

      My only concern about planting fruit trees in such high densities is that
      each tree will not be able to achieve full canopy development and thus
      fruit quality. For the sunflowers such concerns weren't apparent as their
      leafing is tight to their stems and as they grew they naturally fell away
      from one another, minimising shade. But it can only be healthy to question
      the accepted wisdom of conventional agriculture, an agriculture that has had
      several millennia in which to evolve away from nature with ever greater
      intervention and additions from humankind. There's just so much more for us
      to discover, that's been forgotten or was perhaps never perceived in the
      first place. If we accept Fukuoka's concerns about scientific agriculture
      then it might be that instead of several thousand years of progress, these
      years have been regressive. It is in light of this possibility that the work
      we are each developing has its intrinsic worth.