Re: You are invited to view "Raju Titus's photo"

  • Gonewest
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2011
      Greetings, Raju

      Interesting - the important part of the apparatus appears to
      be the roller - if the roller design and weight are correct, I
      suppose it can be pulled by any means and operate in
      the same basic way. So, if draft animals or people can
      move it with a reasonable amount of effort, a tractor
      would not be required.

      Compaction of the soil using heavy machinery is
      a concern, of course, but I think there are many
      factors which can effect this. Whether the soil
      is bare, or with covering of vegetation, whether
      it is wet or dry when equipment is used, the
      presence of clay, sand, etc., and (maybe the most
      important) the amount of organic material
      present.

      Running heavy equipment over wet soil with
      a lot of clay and little organic material would
      probably result in something like concrete. What
      is shown in the picture might result in minimal
      or no compaction.

      But a good general rule would seem to be to use
      no bigger or more complex equipment than is
      actually necessary. Determining what is necessary or
      appropriate in a particular situation is the challenging part, I guess.

      - Douglas
      Shizuoka, Japan

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

      > This is big machine used in big farms but we can made small for small
      > holding. Bending is better than cutting after scattering seeds of
      > crops.Green cover supply water and nutrient to main crop.
      > Thanks
      > Raju
      >
      > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/A4Or2wXLR061nI0zENVyJg?feat=email

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2011
        Roller under trial in natural farming.

        https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B2GR3FBI6dktWlk_nvkj_w?feat=email

      • KONSTANTINOS
        Message 3 of 11 , May 23, 2011
          Hello Raju,
          I have tried this small "machine - The Crimp-o-matic", and I very much like the results - it is better than using a scythe, since the ground is covered with whatever material is available in the area. The scythe many times leaves bare spots. If the ground is dry (like it is now on my farm) - I would consider using heavier machines such as a truck to pull the crimper - compaction would be minimal.

          Thank you for sharing this information.
          Kostas