Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Waterless Gardening and other ideas

  • aus ma56
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      thank you !
      i dont stick to just one system. i use the best of all the systems.
      the better one can adapt the better the survival.

      >From: Larry Haftl <larry@...>
      >To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Waterless Gardening and other ideas
      >Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:45:42 -0700
      >
      >At Tuesday, 01 October 2002, you wrote:
      >
      > >yes, i'm interested.
      > >mark
      >
      >The best source I found for info on dense planting of fruit trees
      >was at the Dave Wilson Nursery page http://www.davewilson.com
      >
      >from the homepage click on "Resources for the home gardener"
      >
      >Then click on "Backyard Orchard Culture"
      >that page has a bunch of info including a nice PDF format file that
      >pretty much spells out the whole concept.
      >
      >Like I said, it's not very Fukuokaesque, but it seems to work.
      >
      >Larry Haftl
      >larry@...

      concentrated nutrition,weight loss
      and cancer prevention
      www.myricebran.com

    • jamie
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        Thanks for the link Larry. I've a passing interest in high density planting
        since I noticed my sunflowers flourishing in stands of up to four. Anne had
        planted four seeds in each hole and with good germination there were places
        with 3 and 4 sunflowers per 4 inch square, I thought of thinning them but
        being a complete and utter beginner I thought again and decided it would be
        instructive to see how they fared across the summer. Considering they got to
        2 metres and more without watering I was amazed. I started looking around
        for similar natural high density stands and found many, I especially
        remember sitting on the banks of the Aude river and seeing clumps of trees
        in clumps of 5 or 6. Not saplings but large, mature trees. Obviously they
        had all the water they wanted there, but it helped liberate me from the idea
        of regular equalised plantings - or at least for certain plants. Does anyone
        have more information on this high density companionality (is this a word?)
        and species that favour such planting.

        My only concern about planting fruit trees in such high densities is that
        each tree will not be able to achieve full canopy development and thus
        fruit quality. For the sunflowers such concerns weren't apparent as their
        leafing is tight to their stems and as they grew they naturally fell away
        from one another, minimising shade. But it can only be healthy to question
        the accepted wisdom of conventional agriculture, an agriculture that has had
        several millennia in which to evolve away from nature with ever greater
        intervention and additions from humankind. There's just so much more for us
        to discover, that's been forgotten or was perhaps never perceived in the
        first place. If we accept Fukuoka's concerns about scientific agriculture
        then it might be that instead of several thousand years of progress, these
        years have been regressive. It is in light of this possibility that the work
        we are each developing has its intrinsic worth.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous