Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Waterless Gardening and other ideas

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      At Tuesday, 01 October 2002, you wrote:

      >yes, i'm interested.
      >mark

      The best source I found for info on dense planting of fruit trees
      was at the Dave Wilson Nursery page http://www.davewilson.com

      from the homepage click on "Resources for the home gardener"

      Then click on "Backyard Orchard Culture"
      that page has a bunch of info including a nice PDF format file that
      pretty much spells out the whole concept.

      Like I said, it's not very Fukuokaesque, but it seems to work.

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
    • aus ma56
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        thank you !
        i dont stick to just one system. i use the best of all the systems.
        the better one can adapt the better the survival.

        >From: Larry Haftl <larry@...>
        >To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Waterless Gardening and other ideas
        >Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:45:42 -0700
        >
        >At Tuesday, 01 October 2002, you wrote:
        >
        > >yes, i'm interested.
        > >mark
        >
        >The best source I found for info on dense planting of fruit trees
        >was at the Dave Wilson Nursery page http://www.davewilson.com
        >
        >from the homepage click on "Resources for the home gardener"
        >
        >Then click on "Backyard Orchard Culture"
        >that page has a bunch of info including a nice PDF format file that
        >pretty much spells out the whole concept.
        >
        >Like I said, it's not very Fukuokaesque, but it seems to work.
        >
        >Larry Haftl
        >larry@...

        concentrated nutrition,weight loss
        and cancer prevention
        www.myricebran.com

      • jamie
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          Thanks for the link Larry. I've a passing interest in high density planting
          since I noticed my sunflowers flourishing in stands of up to four. Anne had
          planted four seeds in each hole and with good germination there were places
          with 3 and 4 sunflowers per 4 inch square, I thought of thinning them but
          being a complete and utter beginner I thought again and decided it would be
          instructive to see how they fared across the summer. Considering they got to
          2 metres and more without watering I was amazed. I started looking around
          for similar natural high density stands and found many, I especially
          remember sitting on the banks of the Aude river and seeing clumps of trees
          in clumps of 5 or 6. Not saplings but large, mature trees. Obviously they
          had all the water they wanted there, but it helped liberate me from the idea
          of regular equalised plantings - or at least for certain plants. Does anyone
          have more information on this high density companionality (is this a word?)
          and species that favour such planting.

          My only concern about planting fruit trees in such high densities is that
          each tree will not be able to achieve full canopy development and thus
          fruit quality. For the sunflowers such concerns weren't apparent as their
          leafing is tight to their stems and as they grew they naturally fell away
          from one another, minimising shade. But it can only be healthy to question
          the accepted wisdom of conventional agriculture, an agriculture that has had
          several millennia in which to evolve away from nature with ever greater
          intervention and additions from humankind. There's just so much more for us
          to discover, that's been forgotten or was perhaps never perceived in the
          first place. If we accept Fukuoka's concerns about scientific agriculture
          then it might be that instead of several thousand years of progress, these
          years have been regressive. It is in light of this possibility that the work
          we are each developing has its intrinsic worth.

          Jamie
          Souscayrous