burt's seedballs, ginger and tewolde in Delhi

  • Leland Lehrman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hey Burt, PLEASE detail your method for seedball creation and
      germination for the record.

      I have just a quick message because I have to go home. I planted some
      ginger this summer when it was warm and the root started to sprout in
      the kitchen. I kept looking for the stalk to come up, but never found
      it. Now I hear that it grows horizontally. So where the hell did it
      go? How do I find it short of digging it up? I'm sure its on the web
      somewhere but I don't have time to surf right now.

      Those who are waiting for their seeds, do not fear, they are going to
      start shipping in a week or so. I have to prepare for my parents'
      visit and then back to business.

      And here's the letter I got from Tewolde's wife:

      If you want a copy of the attachment she mentions, let me know. I have
      not yet been able to read it as it is a microsoft document and I'm on
      linux currently, but I can send it to you.

      Dear Mr/Ms Lehrman,

      Thank you for your message to Tewolde, my husband.

      Please find attached a copy of the report he prepared about food crop
      production in Ethiopia.

      Unfortunately this year the rains have failed in much of the eastern
      parts of the country, and there are people facing starvation. But
      there
      is a good early warning system now and the government has been asking
      more for cash to buy from good areas for redistribution, rather than
      importing. Hopefully this will stimulate the development of good
      internal storage and marketing facilities.

      Tomorrow, Sunday, Tewolde and I are going to Delhi for the Howard
      lecture to be given on Gandhi Day, 2 October, in Delhi where we look
      forward to meeting the Guest of honour, Masanobu Fukuoka.

      Best regards
      Sue Edwards
      --
      INSTITUTE FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
      p.o. box 171, code 1110

      tel: +251-1-167406 / +251-(0)9-200834 / +251-(0)9-235043
      fax: +251-1-167406
      e-mail: sustain@...
      sustainet@...

      The Institute for Sustainable Development is a member of the Third
      World
      Network which is a grouping of organizations and individuals concerned
      with Third World development issues.

      Leland
    • burt levy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2002
        To answer Leland about how I make seedballs, I mix a 1
        part seed to 5 parts red clay mix. I put a little bit
        of the white mold from composting leaves. I was told
        that this is the mycrohyzia that every one mentions.
        Also Rex from New Zealand mentioned worm castings. So
        I got really dried up worm castings from a local worm
        farm. I put a little bit of that in. It seems to give
        the seedballs some elastisity. I then put them in a
        mortar mixer, that doesn't have tines in it. I then
        let the mix roll a bit in the mixer, then I slowly add
        water into the mix until the clay starts rolling into
        little balls. Once the balls snowball into 1/2" to 1"
        balls, I then stop the machine and empty out what's
        there and set them up to dry. I have some seed balls
        that I made last year. They are hard as rocks almost.
        That's it, except that I do want to put in cayenne
        pepper in the mix also, to repel pests from eating the
        new sprouts. Then I just water a bit. Every variety of
        seed that I've done this way has sprouted in 3 days.
        Mr. Fukuoka mentions that different acids in the clay
        will cut through the seed hulls when the water is
        added. Of course in doing wild land restoration, you
        would have to time the seedballs with rains and at
        what time of year that your particular seeds normally
        sprout. Red clay might have something to do with the
        sucess, as opposed to other soils. Luckily for me, I
        live in foothills that are all red clay, so I just dig
        the dirt around me for my source. Also of course you
        have to sift out the little rocks, pieces of wood and
        sand, to get to the fine red clay. Otherwise I have
        found that the clay won't bind.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com