Re: [fukuoka_farming] Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
      From:
      -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
      .
      Survival International commented on their own link.
      .
      —Quoting them: "
      .
      Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
      of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
      some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
      which have already saved countless lives.

      The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
      this important fact.

      Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
      develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
      choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
      mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
      world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
      abused, and their ways of life denied them.

      Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
      do so.
      "
      .
      -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
      .
      -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
      .
      -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
      .
      humour has great importance...

      ________________________________
      From: Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...>
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 4:03 AM

      Some good news:

      -> http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/7144

      .

      from yesterday morning our time here in Australia :) .

      .

      .

      Biggest best wishes to all Japanese and to all,

      .

      Jason Stewart

      busy in south eastern Oz.

      .

    • fujiinn
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
        Thanks Jason for clearing this up. I was about to ask for the source of this news once I was unable to find anything about this "Intellectual Property Tribunal" or "Dr. Desiree Dauphinoise".

        To answer Sumant Joshi, this, now hypotetical, fee would have been paid by the consumer, and it's exactly that, copyright. Monsanto charges it's customers and imposes draconic measures on them so that it's copyright is preserved. What's the difference? Even if Monsanto was forced by this hypotethical tribunal to pay this fee (assuming the UN tribunal has jurisdiction over a multinational corporation, and potato GMO was an important crop for them - here I think soy and corn are the base for Monsanto), the fee would have been paid by the people buying the GMO potato seeds. I don't see how this fee would stop corporations to put a copyright claim on a crop they didn't develop from scratch, because the peruvians didn't develop this crop from scratch either. And the discussion could keep on, and on, and on :)

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...> wrote:

        > From:
        > -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
        > .
        > Survival International commented on their own link.
        > .
        > â€"Quoting them: "
        > .
        > Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
        > of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
        > some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
        > which have already saved countless lives.
        >
        > The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
        > this important fact.
        >
        > Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
        > develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
        > choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
        > mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
        > world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
        > abused, and their ways of life denied them.
        >
        > Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
        > do so.
        > "
        > .
        > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
        > .
        > -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
        > .
        > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
        > .
        > humour has great importance...
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
          Well, I guess this money thing sucks, one way or other. It destroys people.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
            You call this humor???
            If I were an Indian I would feel very bad indeed, not to receive my money.
            It is bad taste, it is mean.
            Sorry for this late reaction, but I couldn't pinpoint until now what was
            bothering me about this post and put it in words.
            Just a question, are our group members more aware now of the plight of
            tribal people, after reading this stuff?
            Does this article make them want to plant more, in smaller farms, with lower
            profit cash crops? (Cash crops?!?!)

            RUTHIE